Wiki

Ads by Google

Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Species > Syrian Hamster

Notices

Old 08-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #1
hampeanut
Newborn Pup

Default really lazy syrian hamster

hello! my female syrian is almost reaching a year old and she’s started getting super lazy. ive noticed it recently this month and she hasnt been running on the wheel or leaving her house much even at night. at best she comes out for food and goes back inside to hide and sleep.

im not sure if she’s getting old for a syrian or she’s ill! there doesnt seem to he fur loss and she hasnt lost weight so im wondering if it’s normal for a 10+ month old syrian to act like this?

in addition, her ears are often flat now and she walks (or crawls) close to the ground and doesnt ask to be picked up. for reference she used to be very active and would run all night and climb all over the place.

when holding her she doesnt try to walk off anymore and instead just sits in my palm (which is quite sweet but unusual for her)

her cage is 100*50 and ive tried changing up the toys a bunch to no avail! is there something i can do to get her active and moving again? any help is appreciated )
hampeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #2
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: really lazy syrian hamster

No, i don't think that her behaviour is normal or age related because too young for that.

I think that you need to get her checked out by a vet who knows about hamsters.

Crawling near the ground and ears flat are signs that she could be ill and in pain.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:20 PM   #3
NibbleeTheHamster
Newborn Pup

I would take her to the vet. Shes still young and a decline in energy and interest in everything fun that she used to love that quick is worrying. There should be an exotic vet somewhere near you.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:02 AM   #4
Charlie Dunn
Senior Hamster

As others have said, I would definitely be taking her to the vet (if you haven’t already). Her flat ears and her behaviour are indicative of there being something wrong and her possibly being in pain. I hope that she recovers soon and is back to her normal self x
Charlie Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 12:37 AM   #5
hampeanut
Newborn Pup

thank you for all the advice given!

i took her to the vet and thankfully there was no serious issues with her health. they mentioned that her behaviour may be due to stress from cleaning the cage too often and removing all the bedding at once!

so far ive been monitoring her carefully and luckily no other problems have come up. i just hope ill be able to ease her anxiety a little by reducing playtime and letting her rest late into the night despite how she was when she was younger.

thanks for the help, im praying for the best
hampeanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active, month, night, she’s, syrian