Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
Engel
Senior Hamster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 542
Default Piggies?

Who here owns guinea pigs?

I want to know the good, the bad and the ugly.

Can I see your setups?

I'm thinking of getting pigs at some point so I want to know everything about them.

I will be getting a 5 or 6ft double hutch with a 6x4ft run.
I'll be using fleece in the summer and hemp and hay in the winter with a thermal and waterproof cover.

I'll be using cat litter trays for hay rather than racks. A few chews and enough hides for one per pig minimum.

I know hay makes up 80% of their diet.
Pellets about 5%
Fresh veggies 15%

They can't make vit c, so get they get it from their food.

Anything else I need to know
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
Ria P
House of Hamsters
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 2,216
Default Re: Piggies?

I reckon that you've got it covered.

The Burgess Excel nuggets with mint are liked by the piggies in the rescue.

They are clever little animals. I had a pair of pigs living in a shop i used to have back in the 90's. They reckognized the engine of my van and would start to squeak when i pulled up.
__________________
Housemate of Henry & Gordon & Edwina & Ozzy
always in my thoughts Percy
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
LunaTheHamster1
Hamster Addict
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1,049
Default Re: Piggies?

I would love Guinea Pigs, I just couldn't cope with all the cleaning of the poo and them being awake during the day, for now Hamsters match my health and energy levels. I watch Scotty's animals and LA guinea pig rescue all the time, I have learnt a lot from them. Scotty also has a good website.
__________________
Cosmic Hamsters YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
Engel
Senior Hamster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 542
Default Re: Piggies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
I would love Guinea Pigs, I just couldn't cope with all the cleaning of the poo and them being awake during the day, for now Hamsters match my health and energy levels. I watch Scotty's animals and LA guinea pig rescue all the time, I have learnt a lot from them. Scotty also has a good website.
OMG me too I binge watch them all the time. Skinnypigs1 is also a good one to watch. Find the cage cleaning ones so therapeutic and calming I don't know why lol.

They are little poop machines and require quite a bit of energy so unless you live with someone who can give you a hand especially on bad days it's probably best you don't. But I'll spam you with plenty of pics
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
Engel
Senior Hamster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 542
Default Re: Piggies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I reckon that you've got it covered.

The Burgess Excel nuggets with mint are liked by the piggies in the rescue.

They are clever little animals. I had a pair of pigs living in a shop i used to have back in the 90's. They reckognized the engine of my van and would start to squeak when i pulled up.
Bless them. They're so food orientated. Yes ive seen it has a lot of good reviews on Amazon and I know a lot of people use it. Wasnt sure if they'd be fed that or science selective as I've used science selective pellets before with great success (different animals)
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
LunaTheHamster1
Hamster Addict
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1,049
Default Re: Piggies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engel View Post
OMG me too I binge watch them all the time. Skinnypigs1 is also a good one to watch. Find the cage cleaning ones so therapeutic and calming I don't know why lol.

They are little poop machines and require quite a bit of energy so unless you live with someone who can give you a hand especially on bad days it's probably best you don't. But I'll spam you with plenty of pics
I've watched a few of skinny pigs1 videos, but i had to draw the line somewhere as I would get nothing done otherwise

Spam away with pics when you get them

Do you know if you want boys or girls?
__________________
Cosmic Hamsters YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #7
Engel
Senior Hamster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 542
Default Re: Piggies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
I've watched a few of skinny pigs1 videos, but i had to draw the line somewhere as I would get nothing done otherwise

Spam away with pics when you get them

Do you know if you want boys or girls?
Same that's why Ive made a rule that I'll only watch her videos at night.

At this moment in time I have no preference. If I have males I'll only be able to house 2 as they require more space than the sows and from my understanding more likely to squabble if there's more than 2. Boar trios can be done but for them to be successful they need tons of room and their personalities need to mesh PERFECTLY. Sows you can generally have in greater numbers. I would say my 'perfect' mix would be 1 neutered boar with 2-3 sows. From a rescue and past the puberty stage (4-14 months I think) hormones are everywhere during this time and fallouts and fights aren't uncommon. Some male bonds completely fail and then need to be bonded with a different pig. While they can fall out at any point, it's more so during those months. Obviously this doesn't go for every pair/trio/quad this is just a general overview I guess.

So yes, ideal world 1 neutered boar with 2-3 sows. Although I'd be open to whatever is in rescue at the time.
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:06 AM   #8
Engel
Senior Hamster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 542
Default Re: Piggies?

Plan for piggies is a no go. My one dog has a horrible prey drive and I can't find a way to prevent her getting to them. Ah well. Better safe than sorry
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:21 AM   #9
LunaTheHamster1
Hamster Addict
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1,049
Default Re: Piggies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engel View Post
Plan for piggies is a no go. My one dog has a horrible prey drive and I can't find a way to prevent her getting to them. Ah well. Better safe than sorry
Aww that is a shame, but you are being sensible.
__________________
Cosmic Hamsters YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:04 AM   #10
Engel
Senior Hamster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 542
Default Re: Piggies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
Aww that is a shame, but you are being sensible.
It's for the best. If tearing into a hedgehog, well attempting to, won't deter her I doubt a guinea pig will be much of a challenge

Mentioning hedgies, I haven't seen any in a while
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hay, pigs, makes, minimum, owns, 80%, pig, chews, hides, diet, racks, pellets, food, vit, veggies, fresh, 15%, make, trays, ugly, 6ft, setups, point, double, hutch

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-2020, Hobby Solutions
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:18 AM.