Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2017, 02:19 AM   #21
Abi5sos1d
Adult Hamster
 
Abi5sos1d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Guildford, Surrey UK
Posts: 365
Default Re: Rats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Hamster View Post
You could still get that second cage you linked (the one with the big spacing) if you got full grown male ratties. They wouldn't be able to fit through those bars. I think that might be your best bet!
I think it's best to get the one that I'm set on getting now, as it's bigger and the same price, I need to look into getting a smaller cage for when I clean them out though
Abi5sos1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:30 AM   #22
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3,624
Default Re: Rats!!

Would you prefer to have a cage or carrier?Carriers would be much cheaper,but a cage that isn't quite big enough for permanent living but still a good size for a pair temporarily might be a good investment in case of travel and such.

Alaska Hamster Cage | Free P&P on orders £29+ at zooplus! For travel purposes the Alaska would be wonderful,since while it is quite short for permanent living it would be great to use as a travel cage for rats or as a cage for elderly rats that can't climb as good.
Pico Transport Box: Free P&P on orders £29+ at zooplus! Or just a cheap carrier like this!
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:28 AM   #23
Abi5sos1d
Adult Hamster
 
Abi5sos1d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Guildford, Surrey UK
Posts: 365
Default Re: Rats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
Would you prefer to have a cage or carrier?Carriers would be much cheaper,but a cage that isn't quite big enough for permanent living but still a good size for a pair temporarily might be a good investment in case of travel and such.

Alaska Hamster Cage | Free P&P on orders £29+ at zooplus! For travel purposes the Alaska would be wonderful,since while it is quite short for permanent living it would be great to use as a travel cage for rats or as a cage for elderly rats that can't climb as good.
Pico Transport Box: Free P&P on orders £29+ at zooplus! Or just a cheap carrier like this!
I'll go for the carrier, just a quick question about fleece how would I go about keeping it firmly in place in the cage? I know when I had rats when I was younger we used clips but is there other methods?
Abi5sos1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #24
Wanna Hamster
Hamster Addict
 
Wanna Hamster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 855
Default Re: Rats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi5sos1d View Post
I'll go for the carrier, just a quick question about fleece how would I go about keeping it firmly in place in the cage? I know when I had rats when I was younger we used clips but is there other methods?
I fold the fleece under the pans and then clip it in place with binder clips.
__________________
Wanna Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:16 AM   #25
Abi5sos1d
Adult Hamster
 
Abi5sos1d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Guildford, Surrey UK
Posts: 365
Default Re: Rats!!

Okay, where do you think would be the best place to get some from and what size?
Abi5sos1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #26
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3,624
Default Re: Rats!!

You could probably look on somewhere like Etsy to figure out if there are any good sellers of fleece cage liners.If not,you could also just get something like a basic cheap fleece throw and either make your own liner(s) or use an absorbent material underneath(Zorb perhaps?)along with towels on the bottom.Of course,that is pretty much the guinea pig method of cage lining,but it is still useful for rats
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:56 PM   #27
Abi5sos1d
Adult Hamster
 
Abi5sos1d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Guildford, Surrey UK
Posts: 365
Default Re: Rats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
You could probably look on somewhere like Etsy to figure out if there are any good sellers of fleece cage liners.If not,you could also just get something like a basic cheap fleece throw and either make your own liner(s) or use an absorbent material underneath(Zorb perhaps?)along with towels on the bottom.Of course,that is pretty much the guinea pig method of cage lining,but it is still useful for rats
So are yout saying that if I buy cheap fleeces from like primark or somewhere that I need to use zorb underneath? My cage comes with a litter tray so in my head I was thinking to use a fleece on the base and clip it on and put like a small pad (like a puppy pad) underneath the litter tray in case they kick out some litter and on the levels I was just going to wrap fleece around and clip it on.
Abi5sos1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:10 PM   #28
Drago
The Hamtologist
 
Drago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southern United States
Posts: 2,792
Default Re: Rats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi5sos1d View Post
So are yout saying that if I buy cheap fleeces from like primark or somewhere that I need to use zorb underneath? My cage comes with a litter tray so in my head I was thinking to use a fleece on the base and clip it on and put like a small pad (like a puppy pad) underneath the litter tray in case they kick out some litter and on the levels I was just going to wrap fleece around and clip it on.
I know of a person who makes cage liners for ferret and critter nations, they are primarily a chinchilla focused website, but I believe you can custom order fleece cage liners and they'll make it for you. It's more pricey to get it custom made and have it shipped, but if you want to skip the effort it's an option!

Here's the website

ChinChic — Home
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #29
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3,624
Default Re: Rats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi5sos1d View Post
So are yout saying that if I buy cheap fleeces from like primark or somewhere that I need to use zorb underneath? My cage comes with a litter tray so in my head I was thinking to use a fleece on the base and clip it on and put like a small pad (like a puppy pad) underneath the litter tray in case they kick out some litter and on the levels I was just going to wrap fleece around and clip it on.
If you get rats that aren't good with litter training you should use fleece with the material underneath.It's more of a precaution though,plus all sorts of things aside from urine can cause moisture in cages so it is better to have something to soak up the moisture than not.Even water bottles will leave moisture,and the easiest way to prevent any problems because of that is just lining the cage base instead of taking a chance.

You don't want rats chewing on puppy pads or anything like that,so they'd have to be underneath fleece for the safety of the rats.Zorb would be washable,therefore reusable and a money saver in the long run.Puppy pads however would get very expensive and would have to be thrown away often
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #30
Abi5sos1d
Adult Hamster
 
Abi5sos1d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Guildford, Surrey UK
Posts: 365
Default Re: Rats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
I know of a person who makes cage liners for ferret and critter nations, they are primarily a chinchilla focused website, but I believe you can custom order fleece cage liners and they'll make it for you. It's more pricey to get it custom made and have it shipped, but if you want to skip the effort it's an option!

Here's the website

ChinChic — Home
Sorry I'm not really understanding how to do this (as I've never done it before) the base I have with my cage is plastic so I don't know which liner I'll need and if it will fit
ChinChic — Fleece Liner Sets for Cages
(I just got home from work too so my brain is a bit scattered)
Abi5sos1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, cage, cages, storeys, suitable, rats

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:54 PM.