Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 04:07 AM   #11
Roxie
Past Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brighton, UK
Posts: 2,519
Default Re: *Warning*Poor Boomer*injury pictures*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamina View Post
He is booked in with a highly recommend rat who has performed this op many times with rats so we are confident it will help him.
A highly recommended Rat? I knew they were intelligent but had no idea they were capable of performing a castration .

In all seriousness though, I do hope Boomer recovers well, give him a smoosh from me.
Roxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:07 AM   #12
Gamina
Hamster Addict
 
Gamina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenwich, London
Posts: 1,012
Default Re: *Warning*Poor Boomer*injury pictures*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikorusama View Post
I guess I have that all to look forward to then when the hormones kick in. I think mine are about 3 months so I have another 3 months ish before all he'll breaks loose. I guess I'll have to wait and see if any of my boys have the same problemand then find a vet to do the proceedure if so.
This is the first time I have seen it and had to revert to this solution but its very common in the rat community as a solution. Some of the top show breeders will have their boys castrated very early as it does wonders for temperament and generally extends life and various types of tumor are hugely reduced. I don't think I would elect for surgery so out of hand but its quite obvious that Adama is becoming stressed by his own hormones and the brothers he once loved he is now just seeing as a threat its quite sad.
__________________

My Papercraft Shop
Gamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:08 AM   #13
Nikorusama
Senior Hamster
 
Nikorusama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Leeds
Posts: 438
Send a message via MSN to Nikorusama
Default Re: *Warning*Poor Boomer*injury pictures*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie View Post
A highly recommended Rat? I knew they were intelligent but had no idea they were capable of performing a castration .

In all seriousness though, I do hope Boomer recovers well, give him a smoosh from me.
Hehe I noticed that lol...
Nikorusama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:09 AM   #14
Gamina
Hamster Addict
 
Gamina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenwich, London
Posts: 1,012
Default Re: *Warning*Poor Boomer*injury pictures*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikorusama View Post
Hehe I noticed that lol...
lol *faceplams* rat vet
__________________

My Papercraft Shop
Gamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:09 AM   #15
LocoRocoPanda
Past Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: London
Posts: 3,815
Default Re: *Warning*Poor Boomer*injury pictures*

Boomer just can't catch a break, can he?! I hope he feels better soon.

My boys are 9 months old and Smith is definitely the alpha of the two however he's never attempted to bully his brother

That silly Adama! He needs to learn he can't get his way by being mean. Hopefully the snip will teach him. Mum's done that operation a couple of times and some of those times were on her own boys. XD
LocoRocoPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:10 AM   #16
Emma&Bee
Past Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 384
Default Re: *Warning*Poor Boomer*injury pictures*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikorusama View Post
Hehe I noticed that lol...
Me too. Can just imagine a Rat in a little vet outfit!
Emma&Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:14 AM   #17
Gamina
Hamster Addict
 
Gamina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenwich, London
Posts: 1,012
Default Re: *Warning*Poor Boomer*injury pictures*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoRocoPanda View Post
Boomer just can't catch a break, can he?! I hope he feels better soon.

My boys are 9 months old and Smith is definitely the alpha of the two however he's never attempted to bully his brother

That silly Adama! He needs to learn he can't get his way by being mean. Hopefully the snip will teach him. Mum's done that operation a couple of times and some of those times were on her own boys. XD

Haha I did think about asking if your mum had ever done it Apollo was always alpha in the cage before he passed and he was such a gentle giant. I think Adama has some kind of dumbo complex...
__________________

My Papercraft Shop
Gamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:14 AM   #18
Nikorusama
Senior Hamster
 
Nikorusama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Leeds
Posts: 438
Send a message via MSN to Nikorusama
Default Re: *Warning*Poor Boomer*injury pictures*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamina View Post
This is the first time I have seen it and had to revert to this solution but its very common in the rat community as a solution. Some of the top show breeders will have their boys castrated very early as it does wonders for temperament and generally extends life and various types of tumor are hugely reduced. I don't think I would elect for surgery so out of hand but its quite obvious that Adama is becoming stressed by his own hormones and the brothers he once loved he is now just seeing as a threat its quite sad.
That hs actually given me something to think about but I'm not sure about the risks and finding the right vet as I don't want an ordinary vet to do it if I chose to get them castrated I'd want a rat/small animal specialist. I like the idea of the decrease in risk of tumours as I've heard that it is very common in rats and the increase in lifespan. 2 years is not enough but I guess I'll have to weigh up the positives against the negatives. I did work in a vets when I was younger an saw them castrating cats which was a pretty simple proceedure. I know rats are smaller but their manly parts look big enough really.
Nikorusama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #19
Emma&Bee
Past Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 384
Default Re: *Warning*Poor Boomer*injury pictures*

One of my boys got pts as a result of a tumour. I have had four before my current two. One lived to just over three. I was also given a lone boy who came to me at 3 years old and lived till 4. . He was the boy pts my vet thought he was going to live forever bless him.
Emma&Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:20 AM   #20
Emma&Bee
Past Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 384
Default Re: *Warning*Poor Boomer*injury pictures*

My other two lived over two as well. One died just before turning three. The other was two and a half
Emma&Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-19, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:40 PM.