Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #11
Ria P
Hamster Overlord
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: South of England
Posts: 714
Default Re: Help... Iím new to this:)!

You are lucky that Freddie stands on his hind legs and listens to you. My Syrian Henry usually turns round and shows me his bum when i talk to him.

You can use any container for a sandbath and see if he likes it. Henry's is a small enamel pie dish and Robo Gordon has a glass pie dish from my kitchen.

My Syrian likes to be out of his cage once or at most twice a week and isn't keen on handling either. He tries to run off and explore when i try to pet him. He was also nervous at first and so was i!

Your experience with your hamster sounds very normal to me and it can take months for them to completely trust their human friends. It's a learning process for both of you and i'm glad you are on this forum to share.

I'd love to see a photo of Freddie. Hamsters are so cute.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:52 AM   #12
Phoebe05
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 10
Default Re: Help... Iím new to this:)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
Hi, to try and save you some money, you may want to look at my playlist for run ideas for hamsters-
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...nMw9Ro6wJO-zmU
some of the shop bought ones are easy for hamsters to escape from and not worth the money. the simplest and cheapest thing is a big cardboard box, but it will most probably need replacing at some point when your hamster chews his way out! So, yes never leave your hamster alone, or you will have a fugitive on the loose.
Also hamsters can spend quite a bit of time grooming themselves, especially when they have first woken up or been upto mischief running around somewhere.
Hiya!
Thankyou so so much for replying and taking time out of your day to help me! I am going to check out the channel now☺️
Thankyou!x
Phoebe05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:56 AM   #13
Phoebe05
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 10
Default Re: Help... Iím new to this:)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzie View Post
Hi Phoebe, this journey is so exciting right?

I saw above that there was a mention of using 2 inches of bedding or more. This is according to German and American standards but I want to just give you some back round on the logistics of using so much bedding. Hamsters use burrowing in the wild to create a place to sleep, pee and stash their food. With the standards mentioned in Germany they also talk about massive cage sizes which imitates the wild as much as possible. Not all of us have the space, funds or most of the skills to build cages like this. I had a rabbit cage of 100cm x 50cm which I placed mesh over and then filled the base over 3 inches deep by blocking the sides. I did this before realizing that I had to tame my hamster first. What a I mean is that before looking into increasing the depth of bedding make sure that your hamster comes out for treats or is actively bonding with you before you do this. 2 inches and more is stated in research but make sure that you put practical things in place first. Serendipity7000 gave me amazing advice on how to keep bedding depth but make it easier to keep your cage clean and hygienic. It gets difficult if the majority of your cage is 2 inches deep because you cant pinpoint where food is being stashed etc for spot cleaning. The German sized cages are so big that you only have to clean them twice a year. It doesnít matter about spot cleaning where cages that are smaller become tricky to maintain.

Ragna also hardly came up and I eventually found him deep in the bedding. This is what hamsters do but as pets we want to be able to check them etc and bond. I have a camera installed and made a personal...my own choice to build a huge area for him and allow him 50cm bedding knowing I would probably only see him on camera. Thatís my choice and I just wanted to tell you what you can do before using that depth of bedding to ensure that you can still interact with your hamster.
Hiya!
Thankyou for replying! I would love to know other research you have found out! Itís so so helpful and you seen a lovely person too☺️ I will keep that in mind for the future. In his cage at the moment, he does have bedding that he loves to bury himself in. This is where he sleep most of the time, as well as in his food bowl😂
Thankyou again!x
Phoebe05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:03 AM   #14
Phoebe05
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 10
Default Re: Help... Iím new to this:)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
You are lucky that Freddie stands on his hind legs and listens to you. My Syrian Henry usually turns round and shows me his bum when i talk to him.

You can use any container for a sandbath and see if he likes it. Henry's is a small enamel pie dish and Robo Gordon has a glass pie dish from my kitchen.

My Syrian likes to be out of his cage once or at most twice a week and isn't keen on handling either. He tries to run off and explore when i try to pet him. He was also nervous at first and so was i!

Your experience with your hamster sounds very normal to me and it can take months for them to completely trust their human friends. It's a learning process for both of you and i'm glad you are on this forum to share.

I'd love to see a photo of Freddie. Hamsters are so cute.
Hiya, thankyou for your reply! It means a lot!
Freddie sounds the same to me as your hamster! He wants to explore loads too rather than being held lol! Maybe I should stop worrying about getting him out everyday then, I worry and get stressed so much over him. Iíve cried over him many times!😅 I will post a picture when I can for you, he is adorable! Iíd love to see your little darling too! Iím not sure how to post pictures on here, it keeps saying my picture is too big😂x
Phoebe05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #15
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 372
Default Re: Help... Iím new to this:)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe05 View Post
Hiya!
Thankyou for replying! I would love to know other research you have found out! Itís so so helpful and you seen a lovely person too☺️ I will keep that in mind for the future. In his cage at the moment, he does have bedding that he loves to bury himself in. This is where he sleep most of the time, as well as in his food bowl😂
Thankyou again!x
Itís a pleasure, this forum is full of awesome threads containing good advice. I have not seen Shannonmcn for a while on the forum but I havenít been on often. She is amazing where it comes to nutrition ratios...she helped me so much with getting the correct fibre, fats and proteins and what food combos to go for. We had so much fun chatting over it.

With me being back at work,I donít have much time to relax but I do invest time in translating German articles and will pass any good info on. Iíve decided that Iím going to Syria to see the hamsters in their natural habitat. My hubby says he will wait for me on the border...I told him to stop being daft...they arenít at war anymore. You can hire a guide in Syria so thatís what Iím going to do before I die one day - bucket list. Whose coming with me?
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:21 AM   #16
stan
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 10
Default Re: Help... Iím new to this:)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzie View Post
Hi Phoebe, this journey is so exciting right?

I saw above that there was a mention of using 2 inches of bedding or more. This is according to German and American standards but I want to just give you some back round on the logistics of using so much bedding. Hamsters use burrowing in the wild to create a place to sleep, pee and stash their food. With the standards mentioned in Germany they also talk about massive cage sizes which imitates the wild as much as possible. Not all of us have the space, funds or most of the skills to build cages like this. I had a rabbit cage of 100cm x 50cm which I placed mesh over and then filled the base over 3 inches deep by blocking the sides. I did this before realizing that I had to tame my hamster first. What a I mean is that before looking into increasing the depth of bedding make sure that your hamster comes out for treats or is actively bonding with you before you do this. 2 inches and more is stated in research but make sure that you put practical things in place first. Serendipity7000 gave me amazing advice on how to keep bedding depth but make it easier to keep your cage clean and hygienic. It gets difficult if the majority of your cage is 2 inches deep because you cant pinpoint where food is being stashed etc for spot cleaning. The German sized cages are so big that you only have to clean them twice a year. It doesnít matter about spot cleaning where cages that are smaller become tricky to maintain.

Ragna also hardly came up and I eventually found him deep in the bedding. This is what hamsters do but as pets we want to be able to check them etc and bond. I have a camera installed and made a personal...my own choice to build a huge area for him and allow him 50cm bedding knowing I would probably only see him on camera. Thatís my choice and I just wanted to tell you what you can do before using that depth of bedding to ensure that you can still interact with your hamster.
This is really good advice. Don't get too hung up on huge cage sizes and bedding depth at first. As long as the cage is big enough for a suitable wheel, good hide, some toys, and 10 to 15cm of bedding it is fine. Work with your hamster to tame him. My current hamster took 4 months to tame. He was a scared little one, but he is very used to us now. He didn't bite, just was very scared, and squeeked a lot.

Also keep in mind that cage size also depends a bit on your hamster. The generally accepted UK minimum is 80 x 50cm, the German 100 x 50 cm. If your hamster is showing any signs of stress (bar chewing, pacing, etc) then you can give them a bigger enclosure. My boy has been happy in a 77 x 47, and now in his 100 x 60 cage. He is a Syrian and burrows fine in 20cm of bedding. He is very happy.

Get to know your hamster, and know what you can offer space-wise in your house for a cage. Remember also that bigger cages need more toys and bedding, so factor that into your costing. 100 x 60 is a fine size for my hammy and me. I do have a lazy boy though.
stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hamster, freddie, nervous, time, stressed, fur, held, fast, extremely, listening, handled, legs, hind, run, enjoying, runs, thing, cage, jumps, making, thankyou, amazing, advice, takes, understand

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2003-19, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:17 PM.