Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #1
Galaxyblue
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 10
Default Hi there, new soon to be hamster mummy

Hello there,

I’ve promised my daughters that we are soon to be getting a Dwarf Hamster and we are all very excited.

My daughters are 10 and 7. My 10 year old has done extensive research and we’ve ordered the Alaska Cage for our new dwarf as we’ve read they can cover up to 5 miles every day and felt that we should get the biggest cage we could. The Alaska measures 84 cm wide by 50cm deep and 50cm high.

I’ve also ordered a wheel, flying saucer, little bridge, 2 houses, and a shape cube.

We’ve already got the Harry hamster tasty mix, dwarf hamster complete food, fruit & veg chews, water bottle and running ball.

Need to get bedding, substraight and a sand bath, and in time thinking of making an ikea platform.

Anyway. Looking forward to any words of wisdom anyone can share and chatting with you all.

Xxx

Last edited by souffle; 08-10-2018 at 09:21 AM. Reason: remove personal detail
Galaxyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
dreamtree1234
The Cuddler of Cuteness
 
dreamtree1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 3,014
Default Re: Hi there, new soon to be hamster mummy

Hi and welcome to HC! I'm so excited that you and your two daughters will be getting a dwarf hammy soon. Congrats on becoming soon-to-be hammy parents of a very lucky ham. A good thing to do is to begin using the tissue trick once you get him/her. Place an unscented tissue in your sleeve and in both of your daughters' sleeves for a few hours. Then, place those tissues with the scents of all of you in your new hammy's cage so he/she can get more accustomed to all three of your scents. This will work wonders in helping to expedite the taming process. When he/she first comes home with all of you, let the little one settle in and get used to the new home prior to doing much interacting with him/her. While this settling in time is occurring, continue to talk very softly to your ham even if he/she is not visible. That way, your ham will get familiar with the sounds of your voices. When it comes to taming, take things slowly and make all sessions short but consistent. Let your hammy's actions of whether or not to proceed to the next step be the guiding factor. If you have any questions or concerns, always feel free to ask since everyone is very friendly and always willing to do their very best in helping each other out. I hope that you all will have tons of fun with you new, little one. I look forward to getting to know and see him/her whenever he settles in. I'm glad that you joined our HC family; see you around the forum. Have fun and best wishes!
__________________

"...she fell into a deep sleep, and dreamed the dreams of the dreamtree." ~Stephen Cosgrove
Loving Mum to Eros007, Arwen, & Hinata. Fur Angel Snickers 4Ever.

Last edited by dreamtree1234; 08-10-2018 at 12:00 PM.
dreamtree1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
CMB
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Hertfordshire - UK
Posts: 3,152
Default Re: Hi there, new soon to be hamster mummy

All the best with your new hamster. Have a read of the Let’s see your cages thread for ideas on how the setup a nice layout for your hamster.

Any questions you have just ask.
CMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
Sasha04
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: California, US
Posts: 204
Default Re: Hi there, new soon to be hamster mummy

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Congratulations on your future ham! It makes me so happy that your daughter did research before welcoming a ham in to your home! Dreamtree gave great advice on taming and I agree that the tissue trick works wonders! If you have any questions or concerns feel free to ask! Keep us updated. Looking forward to seeing more of your family and your future ham around HC!
Sasha04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:56 PM   #5
cypher
Dwarf whisperer
 
cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wales UK
Posts: 21,433
Default Re: Hi there, new soon to be hamster mummy

Hi & welcome to the forum
Look forward to meeting your new ham when s/he comes home to you!

Do take care with setting up the Alaska, it is a very tall cage for a dwarf ham & they do tend to climb the bars if they can, they're pretty good at climbing up but most have no idea how to climb down so they just tend to fall!
You can use extra shelves or ledges to make it safer or attach other things to the bars to prevent climbing & make sure there are no hard surfaces to fall onto.

I wouldn't use a hamster ball with a dwarf ham, it's too dangerous for them. It's much better to buy or make a playpen (the wire ones are safe for dwarf hams) then your ham can have fun running around in there with lots of toys to explore while you can interact with him or her at the same time.
__________________
Slave to Zeki, TinwŽ & Zylvan.
Always loved, never forgotten, forever in my heart
T'ycor & Ziggy, Zephyr, Flynt, Mickle, Little Whisp
& Zen
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:56 AM   #6
Thin Lizzy
Hamster Warrior
 
Thin Lizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Posts: 14,839
Default Re: Hi there, new soon to be hamster mummy

Hi and welcome to HC. Congratulations on your future ham, it's great you're getting the cage set up before the arrival. You'll get great advice here.
__________________
Mom to Master Harvey
Over The Rainbow - Twinkle 'The Diva' Aged 1 year & 8 months, Archie 'My Prince Charming' Aged 2 years & 3 months & Xena 'The Warrior' Aged 2 years & 9 months. Forever in my heart and never forgotten by T-Liz.
Thin Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #7
Galaxyblue
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 10
Default Re: Hi there, new soon to be hamster mummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtree1234 View Post
Hi and welcome to HC! I'm so excited that you and your two daughters will be getting a dwarf hammy soon. Congrats on becoming soon-to-be hammy parents of a very lucky ham. A good thing to do is to begin using the tissue trick once you get him/her. Place an unscented tissue in your sleeve and in both of your daughters' sleeves for a few hours. Then, place those tissues with the scents of all of you in your new hammy's cage so he/she can get more accustomed to all three of your scents. This will work wonders in helping to expedite the taming process. When he/she first comes home with all of you, let the little one settle in and get used to the new home prior to doing much interacting with him/her. While this settling in time is occurring, continue to talk very softly to your ham even if he/she is not visible. That way, your ham will get familiar with the sounds of your voices. When it comes to taming, take things slowly and make all sessions short but consistent. Let your hammy's actions of whether or not to proceed to the next step be the guiding factor. If you have any questions or concerns, always feel free to ask since everyone is very friendly and always willing to do their very best in helping each other out. I hope that you all will have tons of fun with you new, little one. I look forward to getting to know and see him/her whenever he settles in. I'm glad that you joined our HC family; see you around the forum. Have fun and best wishes!
Thank you so much for this great advice thatís so helpful. We will definitely do the tissue idea to help settle her in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMB View Post
All the best with your new hamster. Have a read of the Letís see your cages thread for ideas on how the setup a nice layout for your hamster.

Any questions you have just ask.
Thank you will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha04 View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Congratulations on your future ham! It makes me so happy that your daughter did research before welcoming a ham in to your home! Dreamtree gave great advice on taming and I agree that the tissue trick works wonders! If you have any questions or concerns feel free to ask! Keep us updated. Looking forward to seeing more of your family and your future ham around HC!
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Hi & welcome to the forum
Look forward to meeting your new ham when s/he comes home to you!

Do take care with setting up the Alaska, it is a very tall cage for a dwarf ham & they do tend to climb the bars if they can, they're pretty good at climbing up but most have no idea how to climb down so they just tend to fall!
You can use extra shelves or ledges to make it safer or attach other things to the bars to prevent climbing & make sure there are no hard surfaces to fall onto.

I wouldn't use a hamster ball with a dwarf ham, it's too dangerous for them. It's much better to buy or make a playpen (the wire ones are safe for dwarf hams) then your ham can have fun running around in there with lots of toys to explore while you can interact with him or her at the same time.
Thank you for your advice. Definitely going to put some layers in there and make sure the bottom is nice and soft.

Will not use the ball, we didnít realise that and will look to get a playpen. Do you have any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Lizzy View Post
Hi and welcome to HC. Congratulations on your future ham, it's great you're getting the cage set up before the arrival. You'll get great advice here.
Thank you x
Galaxyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #8
Coco61
GrannyHam
 
Coco61's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: London
Posts: 3,518
Default Re: Hi there, new soon to be hamster mummy

Congratulations on the new hammy coming into your lives. Lots of good advice given already and this forum is great for asking questions and getting advice.
I would only add- be very careful about bedding. A pet shop makes 'soft and fluffy' bedding sound very cosy but the very best safe option (and cheapest!) is to use plain white toilet paper. Get your daughters to tear up the sheets into strips. A nice mound in the cage. Then the hamster should take it off and makes its own nest with it.
Coco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:02 AM   #9
Galaxyblue
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 10
Default Re: Hi there, new soon to be hamster mummy

Thank you, we are going to do that and not use the soft and fluffy bedding x
Galaxyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:08 AM   #10
Galaxyblue
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 10
Default Re: Hi there, new soon to be hamster mummy

So our cage has arrived, we’ve cleaned it with the pet safe spray, put the substrate in it, put all the hidey toys in and everything else, water bottle.... chewy wood chews. Will put his food in later when we bring him home.

I’ll try and attach some photos....
Galaxyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hamster, dwarf, weíve, ordered, alaska, 50cm, cage, iíve, daughters, fruit, food, veg, share, ball, running, bottle, water, chews, complete, cube, shape, houses, mix, tasty, chatting

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2003-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:28 AM.