Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2020, 04:35 PM   #11
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 19,853
Default Re: Forest cage is finally done!

It looks great. I'm very impressed with such a creative set up as can't do that kind of thing myself! She may be a bit skitty with the changes at first as you've only had her four weeks, and they can get skitty with changes anyway. I would suggest leaving her alone for 2 or 3 days to adjust and then not doing any cleaning or changing things for the next couple of weeks. She should have settled down by then

Do you have a litter tray? Maybe adding one will mean you don't need to clean her nest out next time. If she is peeing in her house though you can't put the litter tray in her pee spot. It might tempt her to use it if you add one near the house (if possible) then you can just empty the litter tray every few days.
__________________
Serendipity7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:11 AM   #12
peculiarplanets
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 117
Default Re: Forest cage is finally done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
It looks great. I'm very impressed with such a creative set up as can't do that kind of thing myself! She may be a bit skitty with the changes at first as you've only had her four weeks, and they can get skitty with changes anyway. I would suggest leaving her alone for 2 or 3 days to adjust and then not doing any cleaning or changing things for the next couple of weeks. She should have settled down by then

Do you have a litter tray? Maybe adding one will mean you don't need to clean her nest out next time. If she is peeing in her house though you can't put the litter tray in her pee spot. It might tempt her to use it if you add one near the house (if possible) then you can just empty the litter tray every few days.
Yeah she's the only hamster I've had that takes longer than two weeks to tame. But that's okay, she's just a little shy and I'm making sure not to make any hasty steps by giving her the time she needs to get used to me. This morning she was awake and I talked to her first. She always freezes when I start talking but then carries on with what she was doing. She actually seemed already quite settled in the new environment. I did stick my hand in with a treat but she ignored it, gathered food, and went into her house. To me that's a sign that at least she isn't really afraid.

I don't have a litter tray because at first I didn't know where her spot was. I'm gonna try and observe if her spot stays the same and then maybe add a litter tray there. I did notice that overnight it seemed like she peed in the sand bath. But I wasn't sure.
peculiarplanets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #13
MaryRobinson
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 90
Default Re: Forest cage is finally done!

Lovely!! Hope you get on OK with the spider plant. I've tried three of them in Mimi's house and each time she just bites the leaves off at the base, drags them to her nest and then leaves them to wither on one side (obviously I don't let them wither but she doesn't do anything - eat them or sleep on them.) So I"ve given up and assume she holds a personal grudge against spider plants!!!
MaryRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:37 PM   #14
Jo 17
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: England
Posts: 32
Default Re: Forest cage is finally done!

Oooo wowwww it looks absolutely amazing...
Jo 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:05 AM   #15
peculiarplanets
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 117
Default Re: Forest cage is finally done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryRobinson View Post
Lovely!! Hope you get on OK with the spider plant. I've tried three of them in Mimi's house and each time she just bites the leaves off at the base, drags them to her nest and then leaves them to wither on one side (obviously I don't let them wither but she doesn't do anything - eat them or sleep on them.) So I"ve given up and assume she holds a personal grudge against spider plants!!!

Jupiter bites pieces off the leaves and takes them to her nest, but not the entire leaves. But she's been dragging all kinds of stuff to her nest and it seems like she's trying to build a fort. The plant itself is still alive, fortunately.
__________________
parent of jupiter
peculiarplanets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:06 AM   #16
peculiarplanets
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 117
Default Re: Forest cage is finally done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo 17 View Post
Oooo wowwww it looks absolutely amazing...
Thanks a lot!
__________________
parent of jupiter
peculiarplanets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:42 AM   #17
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 19,853
Default Re: Forest cage is finally done!

Ha ha. Looking forward to seeing the fort! Mary they do do funny things like that don't they - like - what is this thing that has landed in my cage - I am going to destroy it and get rid of it lol.
__________________
Serendipity7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #18
Otaku
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 83
Default Re: Forest cage is finally done!

Absolutely stunning setup! It looks ornamental... maybe not so much the spider plant seeing as Jupiter has decided some bits make good bedding. haha. It's a beautiful habitat.

You said she was a bit on the shy side, how's she getting on?
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:29 AM   #19
peculiarplanets
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 117
Default Re: Forest cage is finally done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Absolutely stunning setup! It looks ornamental... maybe not so much the spider plant seeing as Jupiter has decided some bits make good bedding. haha. It's a beautiful habitat.

You said she was a bit on the shy side, how's she getting on?
By now she's completely come out of her shell! She's very active, curious, has a knack for trying to escape and loves exploring. She's pretty much entirely tamed now.
__________________
parent of jupiter
peculiarplanets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:39 AM   #20
Otaku
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 83
Default Re: Forest cage is finally done!

Aww, that's fantastic news! Given the awesome setup and her behaviour she should be nicknamed Dora the Explorer! hehe. She sounds like a very happy little lady!
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cage, cleaned, finish, natural, set-up, finally, forest

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-19, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:05 PM.