Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 372
Default Ideas for platforms

Hi everyone,

My hubby and I are in the process of building Ragna’s own DIY cage - Ragna’s cage setup thread - and with it being along bigger we are wanting to build platforms for him. Please can you send me pictures of your platforms so we. An get ideas. The more ideas the better! Would be so grateful!
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
Ria P
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 1,140
Default Re: Ideas for platforms

In Germany they put all the heavy items on stilts which looks like an underground frame work so the hamster can burrow without causing anyting heavy to topple over.
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 372
Default Re: Ideas for platforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
In Germany they put all the heavy items on stilts which looks like an underground frame work so the hamster can burrow without causing anyting heavy to topple over.
Ok great...the stilts are on top of the bedding or pushed into the bedding? I’m looking for platforms that Ragna can use to run under for cover.
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
Ria P
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 1,140
Default Re: Ideas for platforms

The stilts are on the bottom of the enclosure and could be called platforms (with long legs) I guess.

I suppose you would need to attach wooden platforms to the side of the cage or create a "Rennbahn" if you want to go German. It's a run going along the whole side of the cage above substrate level for the hamster to run on. It also acts as a hidey place underneath and the run itself isn't usually open but has tunnels at intervals built in.
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 19,387
Default Re: Ideas for platforms

Getzoo sell brilliant platforms. I bought one for a tank. They do different sizes and different heights. I got the taller 21cm tall one - so you could have a good depth of bedding under the platform and still have space under it. I didn't find ladders worked well with them, so used a large cork log from Rodipet partly under it which made a ramp up and a tunnel under the platform as well They even do one large corner one that fits on virtually two full sides of a cage. You'll notice each platform listed more than once - because one is 14cm high and the other is 21cm high (14cm isn't really high enough to sit over substrate).

https://www.getzoo.de/einrichtung-zubehoer/etagen

However, they are just pieces of wood with legs - so probably easy to make! The legs on these slot into place which makes it easier.

Sorry - I cant remember if you're in the Uk or not! If the Getzoo ones aren't available to you, they might give you some ideas for making one - eg shapes, corner platforms, heights etc.
__________________
Serendipity7000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #6
10Minutes
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 186
Default Re: Ideas for platforms

Mine's simple (in case you or anyone ever wanted a simple one). I got a wooden table and placed a wooden tray on top of it, so that I can fill the tray with bedding, etc.

How does she access it?

1. Climbing other tall structures (double layer hamster house) placed next to it.

2. I have placed a hideout directly on the tray that has a slide leading up to it (photo for illustration of the hideout with the slide only, that's not my cage and not my wheel. and thankfully my hideout is in varying shades of brown). She can climb up via the slide, and she can use the slide to get down as well.

3. The platform is next to the gird of her bin cage, and she sometimes uses the grid directly.

I bury the legs of the table deep into the bedding so that the table surface is not that far from the ground and safe for jumping. She likes jumping off it directly anyway, so I ensure hard objects like her pebble is directly under the table (to make sure there is no way she can jump onto it). It's easy to clean because I just lift the tray up for cleaning when she's not on the platform. She usually doesn't even notice it's gone.

Mine's a Robo so she won't be able to push the tray off the table, and it's weighed down with a lot of enrichment items too. I suppose if anyone wanted to try this with hamsters like Ragna, you will need to place heavy objects on the tray to prevent it from shifting, or somehow secure the tray further.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (15.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by 10Minutes; 08-20-2019 at 08:21 PM.
10Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:12 AM   #7
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 372
Default Re: Ideas for platforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
The stilts are on the bottom of the enclosure and could be called platforms (with long legs) I guess.

I suppose you would need to attach wooden platforms to the side of the cage or create a "Rennbahn" if you want to go German. It's a run going along the whole side of the cage above substrate level for the hamster to run on. It also acts as a hidey place underneath and the run itself isn't usually open but has tunnels at intervals built in.
See Ragna German cage inspired thread
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:14 AM   #8
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 372
Default Re: Ideas for platforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Getzoo sell brilliant platforms. I bought one for a tank. They do different sizes and different heights. I got the taller 21cm tall one - so you could have a good depth of bedding under the platform and still have space under it. I didn't find ladders worked well with them, so used a large cork log from Rodipet partly under it which made a ramp up and a tunnel under the platform as well They even do one large corner one that fits on virtually two full sides of a cage. You'll notice each platform listed more than once - because one is 14cm high and the other is 21cm high (14cm isn't really high enough to sit over substrate).

https://www.getzoo.de/einrichtung-zubehoer/etagen

However, they are just pieces of wood with legs - so probably easy to make! The legs on these slot into place which makes it easier.

Sorry - I cant remember if you're in the Uk or not! If the Getzoo ones aren't available to you, they might give you some ideas for making one - eg shapes, corner platforms, heights etc.
This is awesome! Thank you so so much for this! Im going to take Ria's idea of attaching it to the frame and use these ideas to create different types. My hubby will help me make our own. Thanks again for these ideas!
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #9
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 372
Default Re: Ideas for platforms

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Minutes View Post
Mine's simple (in case you or anyone ever wanted a simple one). I got a wooden table and placed a wooden tray on top of it, so that I can fill the tray with bedding, etc.

How does she access it?

1. Climbing other tall structures (double layer hamster house) placed next to it.

2. I have placed a hideout directly on the tray that has a slide leading up to it (photo for illustration of the hideout with the slide only, that's not my cage and not my wheel. and thankfully my hideout is in varying shades of brown). She can climb up via the slide, and she can use the slide to get down as well.

3. The platform is next to the gird of her bin cage, and she sometimes uses the grid directly.

I bury the legs of the table deep into the bedding so that the table surface is not that far from the ground and safe for jumping. She likes jumping off it directly anyway, so I ensure hard objects like her pebble is directly under the table (to make sure there is no way she can jump onto it). It's easy to clean because I just lift the tray up for cleaning when she's not on the platform. She usually doesn't even notice it's gone.

Mine's a Robo so she won't be able to push the tray off the table, and it's weighed down with a lot of enrichment items too. I suppose if anyone wanted to try this with hamsters like Ragna, you will need to place heavy objects on the tray to prevent it from shifting, or somehow secure the tray further.
Please send the picture again. I really want to see your idea but when I open it, it freezes. Sounds like a fab idea! Thanks so much for investing in what I am doing for Ragna
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #10
10Minutes
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 186
Default Re: Ideas for platforms

I've attached photos of the little wooden table with its tray (Got them at the dollar store, the wooden table was intended to be a mini flower stand for flower pots).

There are holes at the side of the double layer hamster house, so when I place it right next to the tray, my hamster is able to access the tray easily by climbing through the top floor.

There's also another house with slide attached that I have placed directly on the tray too (this is just a sample photo, not mine!). My hamster can use that as another way to access the tray by climbing up and down the slide as well if she wishes.

As the tray is quite easy to empty and clean, I've placed her sand bath up there because she will get sand all over the place, and sand in the bin cage will be harder to clean. The sand bath also weighs it down very well and she isn't able to move the tray at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Table.JPG (22.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Wooden tray.JPG (20.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Double Layer Hamster House.JPG (37.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg House with Slide.JPG (15.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by 10Minutes; 08-25-2019 at 08:51 PM.
10Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cage, grateful, ideas, platforms, ragna’s

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2003-19, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03 PM.