Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
Bella1827
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 32
Default New cage options??

Hi so Iím looking to upgrade my hamsters cage but Iím struggling to find the best suitable cage. Iíve tried
- living world eco habitat
- hamster heaven cage
- bin cages
And none of them have really worked out. I have 2 bunnies in my room which is the main problem, I need it to be somewhere quite high so they canít get to him and the only place in my room high enough is on top of their hutch (my desk is too small plus Iím always using it for school work) it measures 152x61 cm so anything around that length would be great, I was thinking of the Alexander cage or something similar to that, does anyone have any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated x
Bella1827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 18,970
Default Re: New cage options??

I would suggest you need a cage with a large front opening door, if it is to sit high up, so you can easily access inside without having to lift the cage down - which hamsters can become stressed by if the cage is moved - it is a change of familiar environment and the cage really needs to stay in one place.

If it's for a Syrian Hamster I'd suggest the Savic Hamster Plaza (100cm by 50cm) which is about the same size as the Alexander but has a big front opening door. Or the Alaska cage - 82cm which also has a big front opening door. Of the two the Savic Plaza has the best floor space.

If it's for a dwarf I'd suggest the Hamster Heaven without the tubes and penthouse.
__________________
Serendipity7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
LunaTheHamster1
Adult Hamster
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 324
Default Re: New cage options??

Hi, I am presuming you are in the UK? If so, Like Serendipity already said, I recommend the Savic Plaza. I use to have the Alaska, but just wanted that extra bit of room in the cage. They are both great because of the large front opening.

I have a few videos on the Savic Plaza on my youtube channel as there are not a lot of videos on it, as it is a fairly new cage. It is quite expensive but check the internet for voucher codes if getting it from petsathome.
__________________
Cosmic Hamsters YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
Bella1827
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 32
Default Re: New cage options??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I would suggest you need a cage with a large front opening door, if it is to sit high up, so you can easily access inside without having to lift the cage down - which hamsters can become stressed by if the cage is moved - it is a change of familiar environment and the cage really needs to stay in one place.

If it's for a Syrian Hamster I'd suggest the Savic Hamster Plaza (100cm by 50cm) which is about the same size as the Alexander but has a big front opening door. Or the Alaska cage - 82cm which also has a big front opening door. Of the two the Savic Plaza has the best floor space.

If it's for a dwarf I'd suggest the Hamster Heaven without the tubes and penthouse.
Sorry forgot to mention that itís for a dwarf, but possibly a Syrian in the future x
Bella1827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
Bella1827
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 32
Default Re: New cage options??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
Hi, I am presuming you are in the UK? If so, Like Serendipity already said, I recommend the Savic Plaza. I use to have the Alaska, but just wanted that extra bit of room in the cage. They are both great because of the large front opening.

I have a few videos on the Savic Plaza on my youtube channel as there are not a lot of videos on it, as it is a fairly new cage. It is quite expensive but check the internet for voucher codes if getting it from petsathome.
Thank you, Iíll check it out. It looks very similar to the Ferplast Criceti 100 cage, I reallt like the look of both of them
Bella1827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 18,970
Default Re: New cage options??

If it's for a dwarf hamster the Savic Plaza would be too tall really unless you put a full level in - and then it wouldn't be so accessible from the front.

For a dwarf hamster, and a cage with a front opening door, I reckon the hamster heaven would be best. But you already tried that one? It's lower than most of the other cages so more suitable for a dwarf hamster as less fall risks.
__________________
Serendipity7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:20 PM   #7
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 18,970
Default Re: New cage options??

Exo terra terrariums are good too - front opening doors. But they have got massively expensive! The 90 x 45 x 45 one is now about £180.
__________________
Serendipity7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:56 AM   #8
Bella1827
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 32
Default Re: New cage options??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Exo terra terrariums are good too - front opening doors. But they have got massively expensive! The 90 x 45 x 45 one is now about £180.
Yeah they do look really nice, just very expensive really and because itís not got bars itís a little hard to add new platforms. And yeah I didnít really like the hamster heaven cage, I had it a couple of years ago and I just found it really difficult to clean (probably because I had an extremely messy hamster) and I want something around 100cm long. I might give the Savic Plaza a try and like you said, add a level in the middle to make it safer
Bella1827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:26 AM   #9
LunaTheHamster1
Adult Hamster
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 324
Default Re: New cage options??

I've added 28cm trixie shelves in my savic plaza - you just need to saw off the tiniest little bit on one corner for them to fit. Another thing you could try is to add cardboard to the outside of the cage or waterhyacinth mats to the inside, then you can really pile up the bedding in one part of the cage.
__________________
Cosmic Hamsters YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:32 AM   #10
Bella1827
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 32
Default Re: New cage options??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
I've added 28cm trixie shelves in my savic plaza - you just need to saw off the tiniest little bit on one corner for them to fit. Another thing you could try is to add cardboard to the outside of the cage or waterhyacinth mats to the inside, then you can really pile up the bedding in one part of the cage.
Yeah, Iíve watched your YouTube videos and your cage looks really good. I love your setup
Bella1827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cage, iím, room, high, small, top, place, hutch, school, desk, 152x61, similar, suggestions, appreciated, greatly, alexander, measures, length, thinking, great, work, iíve, suitable, living, world

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2003-19, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:10 PM.