Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2019, 06:36 AM   #11
LunaTheHamster1
Hamster Pup
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 149
Default Re: Ragnaís cage set up

now go get your hammy- everything else can be worked out when you see how your hammy interacts with everything. I'm not telling you what to do but GO GET YOUR HAMSTER ALREADY
__________________
Luna's YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:11 AM   #12
Ria P
Senior Hamster
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: South of England
Posts: 434
Thumbs down Re: Ragnaís cage set up

I need to sit down with a cup of coffee and have another long long cm by cm look at your set up because its amazing and looks like an adventure playground for one very lucky hamster and in the meantime you can go and get Ragna.

Do you have his hamster food? Any small bowl is fine for a food bowl. I use a terracotta plant pot saucer for his fresh food and a baking tin for his sandbath. Whatever fits and does the job is fine.
People use glass jars etc but i don't use glass because i'd be worried about chips.

Must go and look at your photos again because there are things i'll be asking where you ordered them from so i can get them too.

Tbh i skimmed your text because i was too absorbed in the photos. Did you say you made the sandbath or bath house rather out of plastic plantpots?
I thought it was some fancy Arabian terracotta commisioned pottery item.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:51 AM   #13
Ria P
Senior Hamster
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: South of England
Posts: 434
Default Re: Ragnaís cage set up

Wait till you get Ragna and watch him for a while after he's settled in before you change anything, add more substrate etc. See what kind of hamster he is. Henry is a lofty one who doesn't burrow but likes to be above ground. His wheel is plastic because i wanted to be able to wipe it, just as well because he has sweaty paws and he's never chewed it.
Just relax, Ragna will soon let you know what he approves of and what he doesn't, if anything. Have you got him yet?
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #14
Schwartzie
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 247
Default Re: Ragnaís cage set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
luna only has about 6 inches to burrow in at the moment. I am working on something to build up the sides so i can give her loads more - so yes i think your 6.9 inches is fine. I know others will say no - but that is about the max you can get in a wired cage unless you build something up the sides.
I have attached a picture of the back side corner of the cage. I placed boredom breakers along the inside of the mesh and it allowed me to raise the bedding level to 10 inches. I only have it in the corner under the house so hope itís enough.

I used one boredom breaker on the side I took a picture of and then two along the other corner so it was more along the one side.

Will keep an eye on the plastic - thanks☺️☺️☺️
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #15
Schwartzie
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 247
Default Re: Ragnaís cage set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I need to sit down with a cup of coffee and have another long long cm by cm look at your set up because its amazing and looks like an adventure playground for one very lucky hamster and in the meantime you can go and get Ragna.

Do you have his hamster food? Any small bowl is fine for a food bowl. I use a terracotta plant pot saucer for his fresh food and a baking tin for his sandbath. Whatever fits and does the job is fine.
People use glass jars etc but i don't use glass because i'd be worried about chips.

Must go and look at your photos again because there are things i'll be asking where you ordered them from so i can get them too.

Tbh i skimmed your text because i was too absorbed in the photos. Did you say you made the sandbath or bath house rather out of plastic plantpots?
I thought it was some fancy Arabian terracotta commisioned pottery item.
Lol...if anyone asks me in the future the sand bath is not plastic pot plant holders but actually Arabian terra-cotta...lol! I like that description of it. Yes, itís just plastic. The lovely thing about those cheap plastic pots and trays is that you can cut them with a pair of scissors. No fuss. I used one tray for underneath then another tray for on top.
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #16
Schwartzie
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 247
Default Re: Ragnaís cage set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Wait till you get Ragna and watch him for a while after he's settled in before you change anything, add more substrate etc. See what kind of hamster he is. Henry is a lofty one who doesn't burrow but likes to be above ground. His wheel is plastic because i wanted to be able to wipe it, just as well because he has sweaty paws and he's never chewed it.
Just relax, Ragna will soon let you know what he approves of and what he doesn't, if anything. Have you got him yet?
Ok, will wait till I get Ragna settled.

Shame, my baby has been so sweet these past two days. She has been happy to play near me while I have been engrossed in the cage - bless her. When she is sleeping will pop out just after 9pm...the hamsters are busy busy bees at that time in the petshop - I saw that when a I went last time. I canít believe I am getting my hamster today! Yay!,

Iím going to repeat over and over again on the way in the car - two sets of balls...two sets of balls..hahahaha!
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #17
Schwartzie
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 247
Default Re: Ragnaís cage set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
now go get your hammy- everything else can be worked out when you see how your hammy interacts with everything. I'm not telling you what to do but GO GET YOUR HAMSTER ALREADY
Hahahahaha! Tonight is the night! Yay!

Where should I scatter his food tonight? I put tissue in his house but should I leave some tissue outside as well for him to take in himself. Iím going to put some bedding in his travel box and will use that to place in his house as well to give him a scent marker.

Iím so excited I have butterflies...what happens if I get overwhelmed?
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #18
10Minutes
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 44
Default Re: Ragnaís cage set up

That's a totally amazing set up! You've definitely placed so much time and effort into this, Ragna is really fortunate to have you. I would love to see pictures of Ragna in his home, I'm sure he will be absolutely enchanted with it. You really need to get Ragna in there to enjoy it immediately!
10Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:08 AM   #19
Schwartzie
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 247
Default Re: Ragnaís cage set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Minutes View Post
That's a totally amazing set up! You've definitely placed so much time and effort into this, Ragna is really fortunate to have you. I would love to see pictures of Ragna in his home, I'm sure he will be absolutely enchanted with it. You really need to get Ragna in there to enjoy it immediately!
Thanks so much...guess what? The logs are all from Malaysia...how cool is that! I also ordered online and sat and went over things carefully because I know how long online ordering takes. I literally drew my cage and what I wanted and used a ratio of 10/1. I waited for three weeks for my stuff...it nearly did me in!

Keep being amazing to Louise. Keep trying to find ways to make her cage amazing. Bedding...what about ordering bedding every 3 months..is that possible? You can then choose Fitch, megazorb or Kaytee cozy and clean - whichever is cheaper.
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #20
LunaTheHamster1
Hamster Pup
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 149
Default Re: Ragnaís cage set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzie View Post
Hahahahaha! Tonight is the night! Yay!

Where should I scatter his food tonight? I put tissue in his house but should I leave some tissue outside as well for him to take in himself. Iím going to put some bedding in his travel box and will use that to place in his house as well to give him a scent marker.

Iím so excited I have butterflies...what happens if I get overwhelmed?
just anywhere and everywhere, if you are wanting to check how much he eats, you could just leave it in one pile/area. when he is more settled you could bury it in places, i do that for Luna sometimes. I like to put it in her different hides on the different levels then i know where she has been and that she has been up.

yes you can leave tissue around, i do that with the bedding i have. It gives them something to do, stuff their pouches and put it where they want to.

if you get overwhelmed you just BREATHE! and think 2 big massive balls!!!! Now that's an image.

You have got this, you can do this. YOU ARE SO HAMSTER READY
__________________
Luna's YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
excited, feedback, thread, set, cage, ensure, ragna, wanted, tonight, good, support, guidance, itís, amazing, advice, forum, improve, hideouts, miller, missing, ďroad, post, pictures, finally, sprays

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2003-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:36 PM.