Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 01:49 AM   #21
Artur26
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Portugal, Madeira island
Posts: 36
Default Re: DIY homemade cage attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzie View Post
I find it very interesting that you use the correct terminology in asking if this floor space is appropriate then add you have no idea about floor space but you had the common sense to check itís size so you werenít totally in the dark. Itís controversial what you have done...you have created upset where itís unnecessary.

I also find it strange that the cat has been placed in front of the cages in each picture.

My gut is telling me that this was posted to cause upset and anger. Itís too deliberate and my common sense is telling me that your motives for posting this thread wasnít ignorance but something else.

Some months ago I was told the Ferplast was not ideal, I tried to improve my hamster's home, I wanted feeback from the "hamster experts", I posted here.. I didnt want to cause anger with to cat, the cat is a cat, cats are curious and he is often near the cage of the hamster, just there looking at the cage watching the hammy running around and playing on his wheel as if he was watching TV. I have 4 cats, 3 dogs, 2 turtles, 2 hamsters. The hammies can't be touched by any of my pets.

And Ive never seen them showing any distress behaviour, they are playful, come to my hand, climb on it, try to climb my arm, never bites or hisses (except if I disturb their deep sleep lol). The hamster in the ferplast usually just sits with his legs wide open, in his sandbath looking at the cat while gromming his fur or eating some brocolli. I couldnt keep my cat from being near the ferplast, I cant prevent him from sleeping on top of the Green Eco Living Habitat either. In the bookshelf even though the left cubicle is half opened he can't get inside or near it, it's not physically possible, specially if that chair is not standing near the bookshelf.
Artur26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:57 AM   #22
Artur26
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Portugal, Madeira island
Posts: 36
Default Re: DIY homemade cage attempt

I was told the minimum according to the " Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA): 'As large as possible'. No minimum given due to lack of evidence (used to be 70cm x 40cm)".

I tried to give more than the ferplast by connecting several cubicles and giving him 20cm depth of wood and paper substract for him to nest (which he does )

And now you say they need continuous unbroken when I thought that it wouldnt make a difference because their natural habitat is exactly some chambers (or cubicles) connect by tunnels.



Again, thanks for the feedback I will try to think of further improvement or other solutions

Last edited by Artur26; 07-08-2019 at 02:05 AM.
Artur26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:21 AM   #23
stan
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Default Re: DIY homemade cage attempt

Your large living world eco habitat is 118cm x 78cm, could you not find a secure way to split it into two? That would leave two cages 59cm x 78cm, which is a suitable floor area for a dwarf. For example using a large piece of wood that fills the space, screwing it into the centre. To ensure that the hamsters don't smell each other too much, you would want to seal around the wood with aquarium sealant.
stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:54 AM   #24
Shannonmcn
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Shannonmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,121
Default Re: DIY homemade cage attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur26 View Post
I was told the minimum according to the " Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA): 'As large as possible'. No minimum given due to lack of evidence (used to be 70cm x 40cm)".
You're not going to get people to approve of this setup with a technicality.

The system of connected burrows in that picture is literally their bedroom, their nest. That's it. You're actually making the point that 20cm of substrate in a little cube to try and recreate that kind of network is woefully insufficient, which I don't think is the point you want to be making.
Shannonmcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:54 AM   #25
alpacassei
Hamster Addict
 
alpacassei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cornwall, UK
Posts: 1,002
Default Re: DIY homemade cage attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur26 View Post
I was told the minimum according to the " Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA): 'As large as possible'. No minimum given due to lack of evidence (used to be 70cm x 40cm)".

I tried to give more than the ferplast by connecting several cubicles and giving him 20cm depth of wood and paper substract for him to nest (which he does )

And now you say they need continuous unbroken when I thought that it wouldnt make a difference because their natural habitat is exactly some chambers (or cubicles) connect by tunnels.



Again, thanks for the feedback I will try to think of further improvement or other solutions
Hamsters dont live in their burrows. At dawn they go out exploring and foraging upto 5 miles from their nests! All their burrow is is an elaborate nest. If you give a hamster enough space theyll actually build a large multi-chamber nest underneath their substrate.
__________________
<3 Sunflower Custard, Bigfoot, Petal, Stormy, Flurry, Peach Crumble, Vanilla <3
___________
Angel hamsters: Francisco, Marcello, Peppermint, Mishka, Stephano, Sundae<3
alpacassei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:06 AM   #26
Artur26
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Portugal, Madeira island
Posts: 36
Default Re: DIY homemade cage attempt

Does this look better? Connecting both like this?




Is this suitable?

Or do I need to get a 20$ bin 100x50cm and put it in my laundry room?
Artur26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:06 AM   #27
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes
 
mangoandmimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 7,025
Default Re: DIY homemade cage attempt

As stated multiple times - It is recommended that you have one continuous area of over 80x50cm preferably larger. So no that will not sort the issue. The current setup is not particularly safe so while you get a new cage sorted probably just use the barred cage alone. The bin sounds ok but make sure the interior dimensions are adequate and that you can sort ventilation out whilst allowing for deep bedding (6+ inches).

Don’t know what your laundry room is like but if it is vibrating from machines a lot and hot in there then it isn’t going to be ideal either unfortunately.
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:48 AM   #28
Artur26
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Portugal, Madeira island
Posts: 36
Default Re: DIY homemade cage attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoandmimi View Post
As stated multiple times - It is recommended that you have one continuous area of over 80x50cm preferably larger. So no that will not sort the issue. The current setup is not particularly safe so while you get a new cage sorted probably just use the barred cage alone. The bin sounds ok but make sure the interior dimensions are adequate and that you can sort ventilation out whilst allowing for deep bedding (6+ inches).

Don’t know what your laundry room is like but if it is vibrating from machines a lot and hot in there then it isn’t going to be ideal either unfortunately.
I found that "All hamster forums demand that cage space, which is measured by the area of the floor space, be continuous. (...) However, there is no evidence, other than maybe anecdotal, to support this rule." https://pethelpful.com/rodents/The-B...ster-Cage-Size

Nevertheless, the Ferplast has almost that "minimum recommended size" of continuous floor space. So that plus the bonus chambers should be perfect. Right?

https://imgur.com/gallery/fyPK6hW
Artur26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:58 AM   #29
LunaTheHamster1
Hamster Pup
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 159
Default Re: DIY homemade cage attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur26 View Post
I found that "All hamster forums demand that cage space, which is measured by the area of the floor space, be continuous. (...) However, there is no evidence, other than maybe anecdotal, to support this rule." https://pethelpful.com/rodents/The-B...ster-Cage-Size

Nevertheless, the Ferplast has almost that "minimum recommended size" of continuous floor space. So that plus the bonus chambers should be perfect. Right?

https://imgur.com/gallery/fyPK6hW
Victoria quotes the research in this video which may be helpful for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHbMa5KVkS8&t=2s

Also just because something is the minimum recommended it doesn't mean that is what you should settle for if you can provide more. Think of it as you living in the tinniest place possible for a human to survive, it doesn't mean you would like it or want to.
__________________
Luna's YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:58 AM   #30
Artur26
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Portugal, Madeira island
Posts: 36
Default Re: DIY homemade cage attempt

https://imgur.com/gallery/4c17Sew

Artur26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cage, floor, hamster, dwarf, room, free, habitat, eco, large, living, green, hour, world, measures, hamsterville, wooden, ferplast, homemade, attempt, 30x30cm, amount, floorspace, diy, square, made

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2003-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:33 PM.