Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 367
Default Online wishlists for setting up your hamster bin

Hi everyone,

I placed a thread in the nutrition section and now am linking this one on the housing. I previously was helped with the sizing of what a Syrian hamster needs as the Petshop I went to here in Saudi only has Syrians. As I mentioned in my thread in the nutrition section, the Petshop doesn't have much for hamsters and it's the biggest Petshop in town. I began looking on Amazon for all things hamsters and it's very overwhelming. I'm going to have to order everything online besides the shavings and maybe food if it gets a thumbs up. Everything else though will have to be through Amazon. I'm really needing some advise and help with this. If you could order everything for setting up your hamsters cage and habitat online what would you order? What toys, or things good for hamsters would you buy? What wheel and size would you get? What brands do you suggest? I'm going to use a plastic bin 100cmx50cm and place mesh on the lid.

I'm looking for items that I won't have to replace regularly because of the cost of shipping and customs. I honestly cannot believe how many amazing things they got out there for hamsters.

Any guidance would be so so appreciated!
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
LunaTheHamster1
Adult Hamster
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 250
Default Re: Online wishlists for setting up your hamster bin

I would get a 12 inch wheel, i got the silent runner because I am noise sensitive but it is quite expensive. I also got the 28cm trixie wheel for when Luna is running about outside her cage ( I don't like hamster balls) This way she can jump on and off the wheel when she feels like it. Bendy bridges or tunnels like this one https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Ancol-Ani...s%2C189&sr=8-7 Rosewoods stuff is quite good. But if it is hard for you to buy things you could always turn boxes and old kitchen rolls in to hides and tunnels. I did this video which shows all the stuff I have in my cage, (most of which I bought online) and my Luna is quite a big Syrian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9_A...Rqnido&index=4
__________________
Luna's YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:57 AM   #3
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 367
Default Re: Online wishlists for setting up your hamster bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
I would get a 12 inch wheel, i got the silent runner because I am noise sensitive but it is quite expensive. I also got the 28cm trixie wheel for when Luna is running about outside her cage ( I don't like hamster balls) This way she can jump on and off the wheel when she feels like it. Bendy bridges or tunnels like this one https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Ancol-Ani...s%2C189&sr=8-7 Rosewoods stuff is quite good. But if it is hard for you to buy things you could always turn boxes and old kitchen rolls in to hides and tunnels. I did this video which shows all the stuff I have in my cage, (most of which I bought online) and my Luna is quite a big Syrian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9_A...Rqnido&index=4
Thanks so much for your video...it was so helpful - I subscribed. The wooden bridges, homes etc are amazing. They sell them on Amazon. How long do they last in general before they get too soiled etc. How do you keep them clean and germ free? How long does the rosewood toys etc last so I know to order more than one at a time or they last a good stretch and only would need to order singles.

I will get the silent wheel 12inches - thanks for the advice.

I will also need to order bathing sand - what brand would you recommend? How long would a bag of sand last in general.

I really appreciate all the advice and support.
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:07 AM   #4
Shannonmcn
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Shannonmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,124
Default Re: Online wishlists for setting up your hamster bin

Honestly, most people end up getting decent hamster stuff online anyway even when you're not in Saudi lol decent pet shops are few and far between all over the world it seems.

It'll depend where can ship to you, I use mostly zooplus.co.uk or zooplus.ie, sometimes viovet.co.uk and amazon. If you can get zooplus to ship to you (They have a turkish site which might be the best one to try?) that would be you sorted. They do basically anything you need and are really good value.

For a syrian a 12"/ 28cm wheel isn't really optional. I like the wooden trixie wheels (on both zooplus and amazon). The rest is ALL optional, make toys yourself out of lollypop sticks and cardboard boxes, bits of driftwood or old skirting boards, whatever. They like foraging and digging and tunnelling so once you have a wheel and a good depth of bedding the rest is all extra. No ham is miserable because they don't have a seesaw or a log cabin.
Shannonmcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:18 AM   #5
LunaTheHamster1
Adult Hamster
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 250
Default Re: Online wishlists for setting up your hamster bin

Glad it helped. Thanks for subscribing. I'm trying to think, but I don't think I have had to get rid of anything major yet, and a lot of the stuff I bought has been since last April. I tend to sweep them down with a small brush when I do the big clean, I think I have had to wipe the shelves down and washed the plastic tunnel once and dust it on occasion as dust can gather in the groves, Luna is quite clean because she burrows under her house and does all her toilet stuff there, she also removes her poos from her sleeping area so makes spot cleaning dead easy, I just have to lift her house up when she's not about and clean it all up. As for all the chews and toy hanging things, I kept trying a handful of different ones, and I tend to end up pulling some apart and making something else out of them to get Luna interested in them more. If there is food involved she tends to pay attention! You could try 2 or 3 different types of wooden chews or the carrot shaped woven toys such as this one https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Naturals-...gateway&sr=8-1, it's big but I have found it a great distraction for Luna and maybe a couple of food based ones, but every hamster is different and i think it can be trial and error with the different chew toys, Luna sometimes ignores them for months then all of a sudden she starts to chew one. I used the Tiny Friends Farm bathing sand, but i have read a few reviews lately wher epeople suspect it's formula has changed and it might not be so good for hammies anymore, I need to investigate more and get this replaced, I think you can use children's or reptile sand but need to get the correct one, check out victoria raechels video on sandbaths https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s6EBowqxac. The sand lasts me a long time as Luna doesn't use her sand bath as a toilet, i know other peoples hamsters do, so I guess it will depend on what your hamster does. Hope this helps.
__________________
Luna's YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:20 AM   #6
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 367
Default Re: Online wishlists for setting up your hamster bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonmcn View Post
Honestly, most people end up getting decent hamster stuff online anyway even when you're not in Saudi lol decent pet shops are few and far between all over the world it seems.

It'll depend where can ship to you, I use mostly zooplus.co.uk or zooplus.ie, sometimes viovet.co.uk and amazon. If you can get zooplus to ship to you (They have a turkish site which might be the best one to try?) that would be you sorted. They do basically anything you need and are really good value.

For a syrian a 12"/ 28cm wheel isn't really optional. I like the wooden trixie wheels (on both zooplus and amazon). The rest is ALL optional, make toys yourself out of lollypop sticks and cardboard boxes, bits of driftwood or old skirting boards, whatever. They like foraging and digging and tunnelling so once you have a wheel and a good depth of bedding the rest is all extra. No ham is miserable because they don't have a seesaw or a log cabin.
Oh right...forgive my ignorance. Thank you for informing me that I'm not alone in finding hamster related items and that others rely on online as well. I will look into zooplus...that would be great if they ship my way.

Will ensure that I get a 12inch wheel. I'm struggling to find a plastic bin big enough at the hardware stores in my area but haven't been to them all so will keep looking. There was a great cage with a deep base but it was 77cmx47cm so not big enough and was expensive...was shocked - 420sar!
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:42 AM   #7
Shannonmcn
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Shannonmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 3,124
Default Re: Online wishlists for setting up your hamster bin

Decent sized bins are also hard to find anywhere haha, do you have an IKEA near you? That's where I got mine from and while it's not huge, it's okay and they can always be joined together with tubes. You can also get a great DIY cage out of IKEA tables.
Shannonmcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:45 AM   #8
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 367
Default Re: Online wishlists for setting up your hamster bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
Glad it helped. Thanks for subscribing. I'm trying to think, but I don't think I have had to get rid of anything major yet, and a lot of the stuff I bought has been since last April. I tend to sweep them down with a small brush when I do the big clean, I think I have had to wipe the shelves down and washed the plastic tunnel once and dust it on occasion as dust can gather in the groves, Luna is quite clean because she burrows under her house and does all her toilet stuff there, she also removes her poos from her sleeping area so makes spot cleaning dead easy, I just have to lift her house up when she's not about and clean it all up. As for all the chews and toy hanging things, I kept trying a handful of different ones, and I tend to end up pulling some apart and making something else out of them to get Luna interested in them more. If there is food involved she tends to pay attention! You could try 2 or 3 different types of wooden chews or the carrot shaped woven toys such as this one https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Naturals-...gateway&sr=8-1, it's big but I have found it a great distraction for Luna and maybe a couple of food based ones, but every hamster is different and i think it can be trial and error with the different chew toys, Luna sometimes ignores them for months then all of a sudden she starts to chew one. I used the Tiny Friends Farm bathing sand, but i have read a few reviews lately wher epeople suspect it's formula has changed and it might not be so good for hammies anymore, I need to investigate more and get this replaced, I think you can use children's or reptile sand but need to get the correct one, check out victoria raechels video on sandbaths https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s6EBowqxac. The sand lasts me a long time as Luna doesn't use her sand bath as a toilet, i know other peoples hamsters do, so I guess it will depend on what your hamster does. Hope this helps.
Thank you tons! Thank you for patiently taking me through this all. I want to do a bulk order so will get a variety of toys and alternate. Will watch the video about the sand. Will also get some wooden items.
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:54 AM   #9
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 367
Default Re: Online wishlists for setting up your hamster bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonmcn View Post
Decent sized bins are also hard to find anywhere haha, do you have an IKEA near you? That's where I got mine from and while it's not huge, it's okay and they can always be joined together with tubes. You can also get a great DIY cage out of IKEA tables.
Hahahaha...my word - hamster owners deserve a medal in perseverance. I do have an IKEA...I saw the Samla bin which is 78x56x43...I can get two and use a pipe like you said - if they are placed on top of each other will the hamster be able to get up it...would the angle not be too steep. That would make my life so much easier as I can send my driver to get it.

I adore your idea of the wooden Trixie wheel...does it sit in the shavings ok? Not fall over?

I went onto zooplus and nothing to Saudi. There is a company that will collect from zooplus and ship for you but that will get pricey so it's Amazon.
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:57 AM   #10
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 367
Default Re: Online wishlists for setting up your hamster bin

Is there a specific pipe that I can order that will fit the mesh? Do I need to buy specific mesh to connect the pipe to?
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hamsters, things, online, petshop, order, bin, amazon, thread, hamster, setting, section, nutrition, suggest, brands, size, guidance, buy, habitat, cage, appreciated, wishlists, toys, good, wheel, 100cmx50cm

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:16 PM.