Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
PrincessHope
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 23
Question Cleaning hamster wheels/toys

Just another quick question🙂Is it okay to clean hamster wheels/toys with a 50% water and 50% white vinegar solution.I clean the wheels about every 2 to 3 days(or when they are dirty).
PrincessHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
Razor
Adult Hamster
 
Razor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 272
Default Re: Cleaning hamster wheels/toys

I wouldn't use the water vinegar mix for daily cleans since it would completely remove the scent which can be quite stressful. I would recommend wiping them clean with a moist cloth or paper napkin when it gets dirty, and maybe every second or third week with vinegar water mix. Also avoid cleaning the toys/wheel on the same day that you do a deep clean of the cage.
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forever a slave to Her Majesty, Queen Gabriella (Gaby). 😍
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
cypher
Dwarf whisperer
 
cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wales UK
Posts: 21,704
Default Re: Cleaning hamster wheels/toys

Over cleaning wheels is generally counter productive, the more you clean the more they pee in them!
You really don't need to use vinegar & it's quite hard to remove the smell afterwards so I wouldn't recommend it.
I only clean wheels once a week with just water, if you really feel the need to clean more often a wipe with damp paper towel as Razor suggested is fine, I wouldn't worry about it though, they like their wheels that way & it doesn't do any harm to leave them a while before cleaning.
Toys rarely need cleaning unless they get peed on, water is more than enough usually if they do need a bit of a clean.
__________________
Slave to Zeki, Tinw & Zylvan.
Always loved, never forgotten, forever in my heart
T'ycor & Ziggy, Zephyr, Flynt, Mickle, Little Whisp
& Zen
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
PrincessHope
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 23
Default Re: Cleaning hamster wheels/toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Over cleaning wheels is generally counter productive, the more you clean the more they pee in them!
You really don't need to use vinegar & it's quite hard to remove the smell afterwards so I wouldn't recommend it.
I only clean wheels once a week with just water, if you really feel the need to clean more often a wipe with damp paper towel as Razor suggested is fine, I wouldn't worry about it though, they like their wheels that way & it doesn't do any harm to leave them a while before cleaning.
Toys rarely need cleaning unless they get peed on, water is more than enough usually if they do need a bit of a clean.
I haven't cleaned the toys.I haven't cleaned them in 7 months.She hasn't peed on the toys and I didn't want to remove the scent.I clean the wheels every 2 to 3 days as Hope always pees on them and it makes my room smell.I am going to use vinegar less on them.I also clean her house every day but mostly just with water.Thanks🙂
PrincessHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
PrincessHope
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 23
Default Re: Cleaning hamster wheels/toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I wouldn't use the water vinegar mix for daily cleans since it would completely remove the scent which can be quite stressful. I would recommend wiping them clean with a moist cloth or paper napkin when it gets dirty, and maybe every second or third week with vinegar water mix. Also avoid cleaning the toys/wheel on the same day that you do a deep clean of the cage.
I have never cleaned the toys since I got her as I didn't want to remove the scent and she has never peed on them.I never clean the wheels at the same time as I do a deep clean.Do you think not cleaning her toys would make her ill?I clean her house(she pees in it) and her wheels though.Most of the time I clean her house with just water.
Thanks for your advice🙂
PrincessHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
SimonandSyril
Adult Hamster
 
SimonandSyril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 319
Default Re: Cleaning hamster wheels/toys

Personally, I only disinfect toys when another hamster is going to use them for other times baby wipes are a dream for spot cleaning if you feel any dirt on the wheel is affecting the whole cage's cleanliness drastically; if not then don't worry about a bit of pee or poop as usually they aren't a threat unless the hamster is recovering from an illness. Pet shops do sell special wipes for small animals but I don't recommend these as they are overpriced when you can just use a damp cloth or water
__________________
RIP мιℓα, ֆɨʍօռ and ֆʏʀɨʟ Forever in my heart
Currently a slave to the one and only ✧ ᏦᎽᏞᎾ ᏒᎬᏁ ✧
SimonandSyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
PrincessHope
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 23
Default Re: Cleaning hamster wheels/toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonandSyril View Post
Personally, I only disinfect toys when another hamster is going to use them for other times baby wipes are a dream for spot cleaning if you feel any dirt on the wheel is affecting the whole cage's cleanliness drastically; if not then don't worry about a bit of pee or poop as usually they aren't a threat unless the hamster is recovering from an illness. Pet shops do sell special wipes for small animals but I don't recommend these as they are overpriced when you can just use a damp cloth or water
Thanks!I'm going to wipe the wheels/toys with water mostly from now on.
PrincessHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
50%, clean, hamster, wheels, wheels/toys, cleaning

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:57 PM.