Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
peridotgreen
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 301
Default Would a hamster attempt to chew a sewing needle?

Hi all,

Strange question but im worried i have accidentally dropped a sewing needle in my hamsters cage.

Would a hamster try & eat a sewing needle? are their teeth strong enough to snap one in half?
peridotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
Dalis_mum
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 360
Default Re: Would a hamster attempt to chew a sewing needle?

Get a magnet to help find it.
Dalis_mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #3
peridotgreen
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 301
Default Re: Would a hamster attempt to chew a sewing needle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis_mum View Post
Get a magnet to help find it.
That wasn't my question, what if it's not in her bedding? would she have swallowed it?/chewed it into the tiniest pieces?
peridotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
Chilli
Newborn Pup
 
Chilli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 30
Default Re: Would a hamster attempt to chew a sewing needle?

Probably attempt. Dangerous if she tried, it can injure her.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Vierville
Hamster Overlord
 
Vierville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 668
Default Re: Would a hamster attempt to chew a sewing needle?

1) Remove hamster from cage.
2) Remove everything from hamster cage. Throw away all bedding and substrate.
3) Tip cage upside down to make sure needle is no longer there.
4) Replace everything and put in all-new bedding/substrate.
5) Monitor hamster for any signs of discomfort or illness.

I doubt a hamster would try to chew a sewing needle but it is extremely dangerous if a needle is amongst his or her bedding or in the substrate. It could very easily injure the hamster.

To be honest I would have immediately removed the hamster from the cage until I find the needle or completely changed all bedding and substrate.
Vierville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #6
peridotgreen
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 301
Default Re: Would a hamster attempt to chew a sewing needle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vierville View Post
1) Remove hamster from cage.
2) Remove everything from hamster cage. Throw away all bedding and substrate.
3) Tip cage upside down to make sure needle is no longer there.
4) Replace everything and put in all-new bedding/substrate.
5) Monitor hamster for any signs of discomfort or illness.

I doubt a hamster would try to chew a sewing needle but it is extremely dangerous if a needle is amongst his or her bedding or in the substrate. It could very easily injure the hamster.

To be honest I would have immediately removed the hamster from the cage until I find the needle or completely changed all bedding and substrate.
As she has been in discomfort/ill recently

Are there any specific signs/symptoms I should be looking out for that could be different to compared to what ive been noticing recently
peridotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #7
Vierville
Hamster Overlord
 
Vierville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 668
Default Re: Would a hamster attempt to chew a sewing needle?

To be honest your best and only option is to take her to a vet for an x-ray. That is the only way you will be sure that the needle is not inside the hamster.

Otherwise I'd imagine blood in her poo or on her bedding and if it appears painful when she moves may be signs of her ingesting a needle
Vierville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
peridotgreen
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 301
Default Re: Would a hamster attempt to chew a sewing needle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vierville View Post
To be honest your best and only option is to take her to a vet for an x-ray. That is the only way you will be sure that the needle is not inside the hamster.

Otherwise I'd imagine blood in her poo or on her bedding and if it appears painful when she moves may be signs of her ingesting a needle

What time frame would you expect symptoms to appear?
peridotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #9
Vierville
Hamster Overlord
 
Vierville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 668
Default Re: Would a hamster attempt to chew a sewing needle?

I'd say it would be immediate to the next 48 hours? If the hamster has swallowed a needle it is going to hurt from the moment it is ingested.

Your best bet is to look thoroughly and find the needle. Then you will know.
Vierville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #10
peridotgreen
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 301
Default Re: Would a hamster attempt to chew a sewing needle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vierville View Post
I'd say it would be immediate to the next 48 hours? If the hamster has swallowed a needle it is going to hurt from the moment it is ingested.

Your best bet is to look thoroughly and find the needle. Then you will know.
But i'm not 100% sure that I did drop the needle in the cage, I didn't have the sewing in the room with her cage but its been stuck to my clothes before and it has fallen off so im just worried

Iv'e looked on my desk & my floor for the needle & can't find it but it could be absolutely anywhere in the house if is has fallen off my clothing & I do have an appointment on Monday to see the vet so maybe I should just keep a close eye on her over the weekend & possibly mention it to the vet but I wouldnt even know how to word it. However do you think waiting the weekend to see the vet is too long even though it's possible that the needle hasnt been in her cage?
peridotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eat, hamster, hamsters, needle, sewing, chew, attempt

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-2020, Hobby Solutions
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:04 AM.