Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
peridotgreen
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 291
Exclamation I need advice please!

Ok guys so basically my hamster has been getting skin issues for awhile, fur loss, itching & bleeding.

she's been on sulfatrim & is now on baytril with some gel for her skin

She's also been cage biting which i dont think is helping her skin AT ALL.

Is it recommended i switch to a non-wired cage?

I have a 'spare' plastic cage but its abit small

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanted to get her used to being in this cage but i feel its far too small for her

Please help!
peridotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:29 AM   #2
Otaku
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 68
Default Re: I need advice please!

Have you tried a different substrate?

Can you tell us about her diet? (Her core feed mix and any supplements.)

Have there been any changes that may stress her out? Where is her cage located?

I'm really sorry to hear about your girl. I have only kept Syrians in the metal bar type cages but from what I have seen there are lots of happy hamsters in non-wired cages (low cages with more surface area is more in line with their natural habitat).
Honestly I believe the bigger the better because they spend most of their lives in it (, regardless of how much free roaming time we can offer).
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
peridotgreen
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 291
Default Re: I need advice please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Have you tried a different substrate?

Can you tell us about her diet? (Her core feed mix and any supplements.)

Have there been any changes that may stress her out? Where is her cage located?

I'm really sorry to hear about your girl. I have only kept Syrians in the metal bar type cages but from what I have seen there are lots of happy hamsters in non-wired cages (low cages with more surface area is more in line with their natural habitat).
Honestly I believe the bigger the better because they spend most of their lives in it (, regardless of how much free roaming time we can offer).
Shes on harry hamster but have recently been mushing up hamster selective pallets & porridge, aswell as giving her meal worms and pecan nuts due to her not eating the harry hamster

I use megazorb for her substrate, the cage is kept in a seperate room as the temperature in there is more stable.

The only main change i have made recently is needing to wake her up to give her the meds
peridotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
Otaku
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 68
Default Re: I need advice please!

Sounds like no changes prior to the onset of her condition.
I would think a cage change would stress her out - in another thread you said she is an older hamster so she, like humans, will be unsettled by change, which won't aid in her recovery.

As she has obviously seen a vet already it appears that there are no obvious causes (i.e. mites), and her diet is the best it can be given her present eating habits, so it may be an allergy. I haven't experienced it with Megazorb but it might be worth trying an alternative.

I'm sorry to hear about her condition, it sounds really uncomfortable for her and distressing for you too.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
Thin Lizzy
Hamster Warrior
 
Thin Lizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Posts: 15,455
Default Re: I need advice please!

A cage change will stress her out. So I'd leave that for now.
What did the vet say? What's the size of the cage?
For the cage chewing I've always used pieces of cardboard and I weaved it through the bars of where the chewing takes place, toilet and kitchen rolls are good. She will start pulling and chewing it and because its been weaved through the bars it'll take time to pull out. I've always found that they get fed up and stop.
__________________
Mom To Gorgeous Noah
Over The Rainbow Bridge - Master Harvey 2 years & 5 months, Twinkle 'The Diva' 1 year & 8 months, Archie 2 years & 3 months & Xena 2 years & 9 months. Forever loved by T-Liz.
Thin Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:33 AM   #6
stan
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 38
Default Re: I need advice please!

Given she is bleeding, I would be very tempted to switch her to a paper based bedding like Carefresh or Kaytee Clean n Cosy. Megazorb might not be causing allergies, but it is a bit dusty, and I would worry it might be irritating the wounds a bit. Paper would be a bit softer for her.

What type of hamster is she?
stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
peridotgreen
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 291
Default Re: I need advice please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Lizzy View Post
A cage change will stress her out. So I'd leave that for now.
What did the vet say? What's the size of the cage?
For the cage chewing I've always used pieces of cardboard and I weaved it through the bars of where the chewing takes place, toilet and kitchen rolls are good. She will start pulling and chewing it and because its been weaved through the bars it'll take time to pull out. I've always found that they get fed up and stop.
Iv'e requested a call back from my regular vet to inform him that i dont think baytril is doing much, but still waiting for him to call

Also apart from the toilet/kitchen roll cardboard that I use at home, do you know anywhere that i could buy hamster safe cardboard tubes to use? I know that seems strange but i'm pretty sure the toilet paper we use is scented even though it says on the packet it's not.

I get a different brand for my hamster to use though but I dont get enough tubes from that

I'll have to try weaving cardboard & the size of her cage is 84 x 48.5 x 44 cm, its the Alaska cage
peridotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:42 PM   #8
peridotgreen
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 291
Default Re: I need advice please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan View Post
Given she is bleeding, I would be very tempted to switch her to a paper based bedding like Carefresh or Kaytee Clean n Cosy. Megazorb might not be causing allergies, but it is a bit dusty, and I would worry it might be irritating the wounds a bit. Paper would be a bit softer for her.

What type of hamster is she?

She doesn't like carefresh & shes a syrian
peridotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cage, skin, small, shes, switch, feel, recommended, non-wired, helping, abit, wanted, plastic, spare, hamster, issues, awhile, basically, advice, guys, fur, loss, gel, biting, baytril, itching

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-19, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:22 AM.