Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
akxh
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Default Help! Swollen limbs T-T URGENT

Hi everyone!

I noticed my hamster, Mochi having swollen paws about two weeks ago. She was limping as well. Brought her to a vet immediately the next day and the vet said it was PROBABLY a fracture. Mochi was given Baytril, Metacam to help with the swelling. I removed all wheels and toys, changed her bedding to kitchen paper towels. Even changed her bar-cage to a tank-type.

At first, her swelling did go down and she could walk properly again. However, now I noticed her other 3 limbs are also swollen!?!! But the funny thing is, she could walk perfectly fine, eats and drinks fine too.... I brought her back to the vet to check again but the vet was unsure what is happening too, she even mentioned that it could be allergies? I am really lost and I don't know how I can help my hamster although she is not in visible pain...especially when it is swollen for roughly more than two weeks....

Here's an attached picture of my hammie's paw. Her other three limbs look exactly like this too. (https://flic.kr/p/2hHi41L) Actually, it looked more like her joints were swollen?? Note that there was no cuts, scratches, scabs or blood noticed over the two weeks. Also, she has the entire cage by herself.

I would appreciate it if anyone could enlighten me about her condition.... T-T
akxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
Charlie Dunn
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 158
Default Re: Help! Swollen limbs T-T URGENT

I am really sorry but I don’t have any advice. It all sounds very odd and hope you get to the bottom of it soon. Mochi looks such a cutie! Keep us posted as to her progress. X
Charlie Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
Ria P
Hamster Addict
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 1,034
Default Re: Help! Swollen limbs T-T URGENT

Did you go to an exotics vet who knows about hamsters?

That's what i would do. To me it also looks like a problem with the joints rather than an injury but i don't know of course.

She is ever so cute.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
Dessi
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 79
Default Re: Help! Swollen limbs T-T URGENT

She is very cute ! I really don’t know and I hope you find out what is wrong with her. The only thing that came to mind was skin allergies from stepping/rubbing on something, biting from itching or having her paw caught in the bar cages but you say you got rid of the cage.

I wish you the best.
Dessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
akxh
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Default Re: Help! Swollen limbs T-T URGENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Did you go to an exotics vet who knows about hamsters?

That's what i would do. To me it also looks like a problem with the joints rather than an injury but i don't know of course.

She is ever so cute.
The vet I brought her to specializes in small animals..

The vet also said it could be bone disease/allergy? But I researched online and could not find anything regarding hamster bone disease?
akxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:19 AM   #6
Ria P
Hamster Addict
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 1,034
Default Re: Help! Swollen limbs T-T URGENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by akxh View Post
The vet I brought her to specializes in small animals..

The vet also said it could be bone disease/allergy? But I researched online and could not find anything regarding hamster bone disease?
Did the vet suggest anything you could try like changing to a different substrate in case Mochi is allergic to the one she currently has?
I think that in general animals can suffer pretty much with the same health issues as humans.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #7
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 19,281
Default

What kind of wheel did she have? Ie did it have a solid running surface? Even then some wheels have areas where a foot can get trapped. She is very sweet? It does look unusual like in the ankle area. But then sometimes hamsters do unusual things and get into unusual places. But you have thought of that by moving her to a tank style. An injury or break can cause swelling as well but it would be unusual in all four legs.

I would suggest you see an exotic vet and ask for an x ray. If you google exotic vets in your region there is bound to be a practice not far away. Exotic vets know a lot more about hamsters than a general small animal vet and I would rule out broken bones with an x ray.

The fact that it is all four feet does suggest something like an activity such as wheel running. And possibly getting trapped.

Apparently bumblefoot can spread to the leg area. Did she have a wire wheel or a mesh platform in her previous cage?
__________________

Last edited by souffle; 11-12-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Serendipity7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #8
akxh
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Default Re: Help! Swollen limbs T-T URGENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
What kind of wheel did she have? Ie did it have a solid running surface? Even then some wheels have areas where a foot can get trapped. She is very sweet? It does look unusual like in the ankle area. But then sometimes hamsters do unusual things and get into unusual places. But you have thought of that by moving her to a tank style. An injury or break can cause swelling as well but it would be unusual in all four legs.

I would suggest you see an exotic vet and ask for an x ray. If you google exotic vets in your region there is bound to be a practice not far away. Exotic vets know a lot more about hamsters than a general small animal vet and I would rule out broken bones with an x ray.

The fact that it is all four feet does suggest something like an activity such as wheel running. And possibly getting trapped.

Apparently bumblefoot can spread to the leg area. Did she have a wire wheel or a mesh platform in her previous cage?
She is using the CARNO silent spinner and she does not have any wire or mesh wheels/platform.

I did more research and found out hamsters can get arthritis? Could it be diabetes arthritis? She does drink and urine alot as compared to my other Syrian hamster..

I kinda ruled out broken limbs as it is quite unusual to break on three limbs right? ��
akxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #9
akxh
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Default Re: Help! Swollen limbs T-T URGENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Did the vet suggest anything you could try like changing to a different substrate in case Mochi is allergic to the one she currently has?
I think that in general animals can suffer pretty much with the same health issues as humans.
She was using Kaytee Paper Bedding. During her recovery period, I removed all the bedding and only placed kitchen towels. However, she has been using the same bedding since she was young.
akxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #10
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 19,281
Default Re: Help! Swollen limbs T-T URGENT

Doesn't seem like the wheel then. I guess it's possible to break 3 legs if caught in roof bars or something. Exotic vet is best bet for diagnosis.
__________________
Serendipity7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
swollen, vet, limbs, noticed, changed, walk, t-t, swelling, fine, weeks, brought, mochi, hamster, visible, pain, lost, allergies, mentioned, paw, joints, looked, condition, enlighten, https://flic.kr/p/2hhi41l, attached

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-19, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:54 AM.