Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
LunaTheHamster1
Adult Hamster
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 388
Default Luna update Amoxicillin (Synulox)

Luna update - Some of you may remember she has renal failure and she got a bad UTI a few months back and has been on baytrill since. She is still active, eating and drinking, but starting to drink a bit more (i know this is not a good sign), and her urine stinks and last night I saw a load of white gunk around her bum area. No sign of that now. But when i took her to the vets today he wanted to put her on another antibiotics alongside the baytrill and for her to see the specialist vet on wednesday.

Anyway I just took the medicine out to work out what i needed to do with it, and read the leaflet and it says do not give to hamsters. I did a quick google and saw that Erins animals has it on her list of do not give to hamsters. It is Synulox Paltable drops aka Amoxicillin

Anyone out there that can give me their opinion, I will be ringing the vets in the morning
__________________
Cosmic Hamsters YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
sushi_78
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: London, England
Posts: 18
Default Re: Luna update Amoxicillin (Synulox)

The reason amoxicillin is considered dangerous for guinea pigs, hamsters and gerbils is because it kills intestinal bacteria, causing diarrhoea which may be severe. To be safe, I would ring the vet again and explain your concerns, and double check that they meant to prescribe amoxicillin. It may have been a mistake. Ask if they can prescribe a different antibiotic. This article (Drug Therapy in Pet Rodents) lists some antibiotics that are considered safe for hamsters (amoxicillin is not among them).

Just out of curiosity, what were Luna's symptoms that led to her being diagnosed with renal failure? I've heard of it occurring it rodents, but I wasn't sure what symptoms it would cause? How was it diagnosed?
sushi_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
LunaTheHamster1
Adult Hamster
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 388
Default Re: Luna update Amoxicillin (Synulox)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
The reason amoxicillin is considered dangerous for guinea pigs, hamsters and gerbils is because it kills intestinal bacteria, causing diarrhoea which may be severe. To be safe, I would ring the vet again and explain your concerns, and double check that they meant to prescribe amoxicillin. It may have been a mistake. Ask if they can prescribe a different antibiotic. This article (Drug Therapy in Pet Rodents) lists some antibiotics that are considered safe for hamsters (amoxicillin is not among them).

Just out of curiosity, what were Luna's symptoms that led to her being diagnosed with renal failure? I've heard of it occurring it rodents, but I wasn't sure what symptoms it would cause? How was it diagnosed?
Thanks for that. I would rather try a different antibiotic i think - will call them tomorrow.
She had xrays and a scan and it showed her kidneys failing - it could be just an age thing, but she also bleeds every now and then, plus she had a uti - and now she has strong urine,drinking more than normal and possibly another infection, all signs that her kidneys are failing. I may have missed a few things out but i think that is the majority of it. She is still active, eating and drinking, hasn't lost weight, so still has a quality of life.
__________________
Cosmic Hamsters YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
sushi_78
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: London, England
Posts: 18
Default Re: Luna update Amoxicillin (Synulox)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
Thanks for that. I would rather try a different antibiotic i think - will call them tomorrow.
She had xrays and a scan and it showed her kidneys failing - it could be just an age thing, but she also bleeds every now and then, plus she had a uti - and now she has strong urine,drinking more than normal and possibly another infection, all signs that her kidneys are failing. I may have missed a few things out but i think that is the majority of it. She is still active, eating and drinking, hasn't lost weight, so still has a quality of life.
I hope you can sort this out, and that Luna gets better. I know it's horrible when our pets are sick (one of mine is a little off tonight too).
sushi_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:18 AM   #5
LunaTheHamster1
Adult Hamster
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 388
Default Re: Luna update Amoxicillin (Synulox)

Thanks Sushi, Spoke to the head vet this morning and I totally understand why this type of antibiotics was prescribed - they needed something that worked differently to baytrill, but he also understood my concerns, as she seems to be ok in herself and I haven't seen any more pus we are leaving her just on the baytill and see what the specialist vet says on wed. Seriously, it can be such a rollercoaster ride with these little ones. I hope your little one is feeling better as well.
__________________
Cosmic Hamsters YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #6
souffle
Moderator
 
souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK but my heart lies in Scotland!
Posts: 26,807
Default Re: Luna update Amoxicillin (Synulox)

I've had Septrin prescribed for hammies and have found this very effective especially for chest infections. It's also more palatable than baytril it seems and they eat it easily. That might be an option. Are you giving her any vitamin supplements? These can help when they don't have many bowel bacteria left to break down food and release the vitamins.
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:12 AM   #7
LunaTheHamster1
Adult Hamster
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 388
Default Re: Luna update Amoxicillin (Synulox)

Quote:
Originally Posted by souffle View Post
I've had Septrin prescribed for hammies and have found this very effective especially for chest infections. It's also more palatable than baytril it seems and they eat it easily. That might be an option. Are you giving her any vitamin supplements? These can help when they don't have many bowel bacteria left to break down food and release the vitamins.
Thanks Souffle, I have been giving Luna benebac- so would that help? I haven't been giving her any extra vitamin supplements, I would't even know where to start with that. I do give her veggies which obviously have vitamins in and I keep an eye on her poos, which look pretty normal with the veg and benebac, when she first started the antibiotics these had gone very small and dried looking, but they are not like that at all now.
__________________
Cosmic Hamsters YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:47 AM   #8
LunaTheHamster1
Adult Hamster
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 388
Default Re: Luna update Amoxicillin (Synulox)

Souffle, I saw the specialist vet yesterday and he said Septrin is always an option, ( I didn't even say you had mentioned it) but if need be i can increase the baytrill first, up to a certain level. But for now Luna seems to have got over her blip, so we are leaving well enough alone.
__________________
Cosmic Hamsters YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:41 AM   #9
souffle
Moderator
 
souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK but my heart lies in Scotland!
Posts: 26,807
Default Re: Luna update Amoxicillin (Synulox)

Glad to hear she seems to have rallied round again. I'd likely try septrin rather than increasing the dose myself if she has a relapse but hopefully she will stay well enough not to need that
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
give, hamsters, vets, luna, sign, amoxicillin, update, synulox, ringing, medicine, work, needed, vet, antibiotics, specialist, morning, wednesday, opinion, put, drops, quick, google, animals, paltable, erins

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-19, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:39 PM.