Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2018, 12:52 AM   #91
souffle
Moderator
 
souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK but my heart lies in Scotland!
Posts: 26,248
Default Re: New hamster possibly pregnant?

I'd leave it till 18 days then as the eyes will definitely be open at that point. Is mama wanting to be lifted out for cuddles? If she is you could take her out and look at her nipple lines for signs of suckling. Make sure she has plenty veggies to take in now as pups will need some fluids.
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:01 AM   #92
Ponymad2104
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 97
Default Re: New hamster possibly pregnant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by souffle View Post
I'd leave it till 18 days then as the eyes will definitely be open at that point. Is mama wanting to be lifted out for cuddles? If she is you could take her out and look at her nipple lines for signs of suckling. Make sure she has plenty veggies to take in now as pups will need some fluids.
She likes to be stroked but wonít let me pick her up as Iíve not had a chance to do much taming because of her possibly having pups
Ponymad2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:10 AM   #93
souffle
Moderator
 
souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK but my heart lies in Scotland!
Posts: 26,248
Default Re: New hamster possibly pregnant?

I'd take a look at the weekend if no babies have been out by then. Use a clean metal spoon and rub it in the bedding and the wee corner then use that to try and ease the bedding apart to peep. It would be better if you could get her out the cage while you do this. If there were dead pups it would not smell to great by now so if it is OK then you will either find nothing or some healthy well grown babies
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #94
Ponymad2104
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 97
Default Re: New hamster possibly pregnant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by souffle View Post
I'd take a look at the weekend if no babies have been out by then. Use a clean metal spoon and rub it in the bedding and the wee corner then use that to try and ease the bedding apart to peep. It would be better if you could get her out the cage while you do this. If there were dead pups it would not smell to great by now so if it is OK then you will either find nothing or some healthy well grown babies
I had a look tonight, put her in a travel cage with clear bottom, her nipple lines have gone as well.

I didn't find any pups but found a few spots of old blood in the nest so suspect she had them and canabilised them unfortunately.
Ponymad2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #95
souffle
Moderator
 
souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK but my heart lies in Scotland!
Posts: 26,248
Default Re: New hamster possibly pregnant?

aww well what will be will be and it may be that a sibling mating did not work out. At least mum is healthy now so you can get on with taming her and she will no doubt have the best life ever with you after a rocky start. Well done for supporting her through this. The mums always know best and she did what felt right for her x
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #96
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 17,127
Default Re: New hamster possibly pregnant?

So sorry. It was sounding a bit like pups weren't going to emerge. Is she a very young hamster herself? I believe they instinctively know if something isn't right and that's when these things happen. As Souffle says at least now you can get on with having a hamster!
__________________
Serendipity7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #97
Ponymad2104
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 97
Default Re: New hamster possibly pregnant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
So sorry. It was sounding a bit like pups weren't going to emerge. Is she a very young hamster herself? I believe they instinctively know if something isn't right and that's when these things happen. As Souffle says at least now you can get on with having a hamster!
Yes, 7/8 weeks when I got her so very young still so I never really expected any pups to survive
Ponymad2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #98
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 17,127
Default Re: New hamster possibly pregnant?

She is still a baby herself - she maybe didn't know what to do. Alls well that ends well - shame you had such a worrying start to owning her but onwards and upwards!
__________________
Serendipity7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pregnant, hamster, guinea, male, him/her, pigs, cared, rabbits, treat, hamsters, guessing, mate, bet, uncommon, uncertain, wiggly, supposedly, probable, possibly, week, ago, sex, weeks, dilemma, his/her

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2003-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:31 AM.