Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
ThereGoesLucie
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 61
Smile Humped back?

Hello, maybe I'm imagining it but I sweat my hamsrer looks all hunched over? Her back seemed more arched than normal. Could mother be her bed is too small and she curls up too much or would she curl up anywhere? She's currently sleeping in a coconut house from Pets at Home. Are there any other hides that you recommend that aren't too small for my syrian?

TIA
ThereGoesLucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
Drago
The Hamtologist
 
Drago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southern United States
Posts: 2,850
Default Re: Humped back?

Do you have a picture? Hamsters naturally have an arch in their backs as that's how their spines are shaped. For an easy large hide, you can simply use a cardboard shoebox! Usually if a hamster feels uncomfortable, they'll move somewhere else rather than hurting their backs. I'd provide several different huts so your hamster always has different options best wishes
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
ThereGoesLucie
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 61
Default Re: Humped back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
Do you have a picture? Hamsters naturally have an arch in their backs as that's how their spines are shaped. For an easy large hide, you can simply use a cardboard shoebox! Usually if a hamster feels uncomfortable, they'll move somewhere else rather than hurting their backs. I'd provide several different huts so your hamster always has different options best wishes
Not a great picture but you can kind of see. The coconut is fast large but I just worry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2700.JPG (908.8 KB, 24 views)
ThereGoesLucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:38 AM   #4
Drago
The Hamtologist
 
Drago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southern United States
Posts: 2,850
Default Re: Humped back?

I can't really tell if her back seems more hunched than a normal hamster's would be from the picture. Has her back always appeared this way? Or is this a recent development?
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #5
cypher
Dwarf whisperer
 
cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wales UK
Posts: 22,201
Default Re: Humped back?

It is hard to see in that position as they naturally hunch their backs when sitting like that, I don't think she would sleep in the coconut if it was doing her actual harm but you could always give her a cardboard box house if you are concerned & don't have anything else.
How old is she? Hams can look a bit more hunched as they age but in a younger ham they only tend to look really hunched when unwell, that would be a noticeable change from what's normal for her though if it was the case.
__________________
Slave to Tinwë, Zylvan & Míriel.
Always loved, never forgotten, forever in my heart
T'ycor, Ziggy, Zephyr, Flynt, Mickle, Little Whisp, Zen & Zeki
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
ThereGoesLucie
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 61
Smile Re: Humped back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
It is hard to see in that position as they naturally hunch their backs when sitting like that, I don't think she would sleep in the coconut if it was doing her actual harm but you could always give her a cardboard box house if you are concerned & don't have anything else.
How old is she? Hams can look a bit more hunched as they age but in a younger ham they only tend to look really hunched when unwell, that would be a noticeable change from what's normal for her though if it was the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
I can't really tell if her back seems more hunched than a normal hamster's would be from the picture. Has her back always appeared this way? Or is this a recent development?
Thanks guys, I think I'm just imagining it...and my partner putting thoughts into my head doesn't help either! I'll out in her large wooden corner house and see if she prefers that. If not, I guess she isn't uncomfortable in the coconut! She has plenty of room in her detolf house so I'll add a few hides and see what she prefers!

Thank you!
ThereGoesLucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #7
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 17,067
Default Re: Humped back?

She is very sweet How old is she? If she is looking hunched more than usual, it can be a sign that they are in pain. But sometimes our hamster used to hunch up in his playpen and do a kind of funny walk. He was perfectly fine sitting and walking everywhere else except in his playpen lol.
__________________
Serendipity7000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
Thin Lizzy
Hamster Warrior
 
Thin Lizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Posts: 15,139
Default Re: Humped back?

She doesn't look hunched in the pic, but keep an on her.
__________________
Mom To Gorgeous Noah
Over The Rainbow Bridge - Master Harvey 2 years & 5 months, Twinkle 'The Diva' 1 year & 8 months, Archie 2 years & 3 months & Xena 2 years & 9 months. Forever loved by T-Liz.
Thin Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
back, small, humped

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2003-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:18 PM.