Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
PinkEmily
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 384
Send a message via MSN to PinkEmily
Default My Trip to the Vets - Not good news

I took Chip and Ted to the vets today, Chip for her large lump, suspected cataracts and diabetes worries, and Ted because his infected Belly button isnt healing.

Chip was up first and gave the vet quite a shock as 8 months ago he said she wouldnt have long left with us. He explained to me that Chips body must have absorbed the stuff in the tumor and thats why it shrunk, but its grown again and is probably not going to go away again. He also said with the tumor and age she has developed diabetes which is why she has developed cataracts and why a scab on her back wont heal, he explained to me that i cant do anything and to take her back to be pts when she appears to be in pain. He also said that she looks to be in good spirits and isnt showing any signs of being in pain and is very lively.

Teds news was also bad, he said straight away that it was a tumor thats why it wasnt healing, and was starting to ooze as it broke up. Apparently the tumor isnt attached to anything so he can operate but with the obvious risks of the anesthetic also Ted damaging himself afterwards, Ted loves lying on his back licking his belly when i put cream on, i really dont know what to do Hes just over one year old, the opp will cost 30-40 so thats no problem im just trying to weigh up the odds. Hes such a character, i dont want to cut his life short by him dying in the opp or by the tumor.

Please someone offer me some advice My boyfriend said we will have a chat tomorrow, my mum was like its only a hamster and my dad well hes happy with whatever i do, i just need to know what you would do as hamster mummys and daddys
PinkEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Mollz
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Swindon
Posts: 1,423
Default

Oh, I'm sorry that you've had a lot of bad news today and it seems as though you have a few hard decisions ahead of you.

In the end, you have to weigh up every angle and all of the pros and cons of Ted having the operation and just do what feels right to you.
Does it seem as though Ted is in pain?
If he isn't, then I don't think I would even consider putting him through the op.
However, if he is you need to work out whether you want to risk the anaesthetic - if you think the operation will improve his quality of life then it may be worth going ahead with it.Also, how old is Ted? If he is getting on a bit then I also don't think I would risk the aneasthetic.
I just want to say that I'm sure you will make the right decision for Ted and you and if you do decide to go ahead with the op and anything happens then please don't blame yourself.

I wish you, Ted and Chip luck and I hope that everything goes well with all of you. Please keep us updated and don't be afraid to talk things over with us or just let off steam.
__________________
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ysignature.jpg
Thank you so much pophammy!
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
souffle
Moderator
 
souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK but my heart lies in Scotland!
Posts: 26,696
Default

I am sorry to hear of this news PinkEmily. You know what I think; you should give Ted a chance. If you can afford it and the vet feels he could do it you are giving him your best shot. If you leave it too long it may not be operable. With your TLC you can nurse him through and if sadly he does not make it then you will know you tried your very best for him. Thats my thoughts. It is what I would do if he was mine and he is not that old so could have a good while left in comfort.
You will know in your heart when the time has come for Chip and for now you should spoil her and give her extra time and love when she wants and needs you. I hope she manages in comfort for a while longer.
I hope you can reach your decision PinkEmily and whatever you decide it is the right thing for you have done it from love.
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
PinkEmily
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 384
Send a message via MSN to PinkEmily
Default

He doesnt seem to be in pain but when i clean around his belly he does seem to act like im hurting him a bit. Hes just his happy self, a lazy bum who loves being cuddled.
PinkEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
PinkEmily
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 384
Send a message via MSN to PinkEmily
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by souffle
I am sorry to hear of this news PinkEmily. You know what I think; you should give Ted a chance. If you can afford it and the vet feels he could do it you are giving him your best shot. If you leave it too long it may not be operable. With your TLC you can nurse him through and if sadly he does not make it then you will know you tried your very best for him. Thats my thoughts. It is what I would do if he was mine and he is not that old so could have a good while left in comfort.
You will know in your heart when the time has come for Chip and for now you should spoil her and give her extra time and love when she wants and needs you. I hope she manages in comfort for a while longer.
I hope you can reach your decision PinkEmily and whatever you decide it is the right thing for you have done it from love.
That made me smile, i think i just needed someone to confirm to me that they would do the same thing. Ive been thinking ive been fighting for him for the past 4 months with medication why stop now. I think everyone deserves a second chance. Also my friend said, if you were Ted what would you want??

Chips well on her way to being spoilt, shes in the gabber! The biggest cage out of all the hams. Shes also got tones of toilet roll tubes to keep her happy.
PinkEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
Spuds Mum
Retired Moderator
 
Spuds Mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: N E Lincs UK
Posts: 3,905
Default

Oh PinkEmily, I am sorry to hear you have had such bad news today.
I dont blame you for spoiling Chip at all, I think making her remaining time happy is the nicest and best thing you could possibly do.

I think I would give the operation a try too. If the tumour doesn't appear to be attached to anything, and the vet is confident he may be able to remove it, then I personally would give it a try. Of course, in the end it is a decision only you can make, but the way I think of it, is to look at the best and worse scenarios - the best being of course, that you can totally solve this for Ted, and the worst, well, of course is your fear about the operation and anaesthetic. Its a chance of course, that something could go wrong, but weighed against that is the chance that everything could turn out wonderfully well for Ted.

I don't envy you making the decision, and whatever you decide will be done out of love for your little guy, and so will be the right decision. *hugs*
__________________
Spuds Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
Basia
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Basia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hereford, UK
Posts: 2,056
Default

Oh Pink Emily, I'm sorry to hear Chip and Ted are poorly. I hope all goes well for Ted if you do decide to go ahead with the operation.
Sounds as though you are really spoiling Chip. Your hamsters are lucky to have someone that cares about them so much.
Basia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:32 AM   #8
PinkEmily
Adult Hamster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 384
Send a message via MSN to PinkEmily
Default

Thanks for the replies, Seeing everyone elses views has helped so much. Im gutted that i cant do anything for Chip but i can for Ted and i shouldnt stop him from having the chance for a longer life so im going to go ahead with the opp. Hes just going to have to be watched like a hawk once hes done because hes such a terror with his belly when i put cream on it etc. Its my brothers wedding in Dundee in a couple of weeks so he may have to come with me
PinkEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Mollz
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Swindon
Posts: 1,423
Default

Good luck with the operation, I think it is probably the best decision but it must be a very hard one to make.

I'm sure both Chip and Ted are very happy in your care and are enjoying the extra love you are giving them. Make sure you keep us updated.
__________________
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ysignature.jpg
Thank you so much pophammy!
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good vets finder babyboos Hamster Healthcare 72 10-15-2017 01:43 PM
Good news and Bad News - Gabber Rex's Louby Housing 46 04-16-2008 11:41 AM
Worried about Phoebs - **good news!** Emma Hamster Healthcare 30 12-15-2005 12:18 PM

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:13 AM.