I recently owned two pet hamsters (male and female). I have owned them since the first week of January this year. They were quite getting well on the first week. But last Sunday, the female died.
When she died, the things I noticed were:
1. It seems like there is something sticky protruding in her genital part (?) that looks like a tail.
2. She is performing poorly in the hamster wheel exercise.
3. Ants are swarming her in her deathbed.
Now, earlier this day, I have seen the other hamster showing the same symptoms, and I think it's dying. :'(
I am really eager to bring it to the vet but unfortunately, I have to go to work and I couldn't bring them.
I have done a few research and I've read something about Wet Tails but I'm not quite sure.
I have suspected the following as reasons for their illness:
1. Rats were able to get in the cage (I don't know how the hell they've done that) and might have attacked them.
2. Maybe I have fed them wrong food. So far I have fed them the usual processed hamster foods, bread, and carrots.
3. The weather in our place is getting cold, although we are trying to get their place warm, like covering half of the cage with soft/thin blanket.
Now, I am thinking twice of owning another hamster. I really love to get a new one but what hapenned to my first hamsters is still bothering me.
Hope you could enlighten me on this one, so if ever I own another one, I would be able to avoid what happened. Thanks