Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #91
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 19,848
Default Re: New hamster.

They are very different in the cage to when they’re out of it. The cage is their territory. Maybe it’s time to do some bathtub taming. Easiest way would be to tempt him into a tube with a smelly treat at the far end - eg cucumber or cheddar cheese. Put the other end near his house. He should walk in to get the treat and you can then lift the tube out with your hands over each end so he can’t jump out. Wear gloves if you might jump if he touched your hand and you were nervous of a nip eg (unlikely but you don’t want to drop him if he makes you jump). You need something next to the cage he can walk into from the tube. A hamster ball is good for this - put one end of the tube in the ball and keep your hand over the other end. He should walk into the ball and you pop the lid on and can then carry him in the ball to the bath and set it down in the bath and take the lid off. Or a high sided box if no ball. It’s a good idea to have a couple of toys in the bath - eg a tube and a hidey place. A couple of treats here and there. He can then run around in there and you can stroke him on the back occasionally with one finger. Again wear gloves if you’re nervous of being nipped. Maybe try that two or three times first session. If he leaps away or jerks round to see you off then wait a bit. Try again. It can be a slow process to start but then suddenly happen quickly. A couple of days later do another bathtub session and same again. When he accepts being stroked on the back by one finger you can move onto the next stage wher your hand is flat on the base of the bath, palm up and let him walk over it. A couple of times of that then lift your hand very slightly - eg 1cm but still let him walk off. Next session do more of that but lift your hand a bit higher - eg a couple of inches but still let him walk off. From there you should be able to hold him without him pinging (wriggling and leaping away) but bear in mind hamsters often don’t like to be held too long or stay in one place too long. And always hold them over something low with a soft landing eg cushions in case he decides to rub or jump.
__________________
Serendipity7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:59 AM   #92
Geo92
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 78
Default Re: New hamster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
They are very different in the cage to when they’re out of it. The cage is their territory. Maybe it’s time to do some bathtub taming. Easiest way would be to tempt him into a tube with a smelly treat at the far end - eg cucumber or cheddar cheese. Put the other end near his house. He should walk in to get the treat and you can then lift the tube out with your hands over each end so he can’t jump out. Wear gloves if you might jump if he touched your hand and you were nervous of a nip eg (unlikely but you don’t want to drop him if he makes you jump). You need something next to the cage he can walk into from the tube. A hamster ball is good for this - put one end of the tube in the ball and keep your hand over the other end. He should walk into the ball and you pop the lid on and can then carry him in the ball to the bath and set it down in the bath and take the lid off. Or a high sided box if no ball. It’s a good idea to have a couple of toys in the bath - eg a tube and a hidey place. A couple of treats here and there. He can then run around in there and you can stroke him on the back occasionally with one finger. Again wear gloves if you’re nervous of being nipped. Maybe try that two or three times first session. If he leaps away or jerks round to see you off then wait a bit. Try again. It can be a slow process to start but then suddenly happen quickly. A couple of days later do another bathtub session and same again. When he accepts being stroked on the back by one finger you can move onto the next stage wher your hand is flat on the base of the bath, palm up and let him walk over it. A couple of times of that then lift your hand very slightly - eg 1cm but still let him walk off. Next session do more of that but lift your hand a bit higher - eg a couple of inches but still let him walk off. From there you should be able to hold him without him pinging (wriggling and leaping away) but bear in mind hamsters often don’t like to be held too long or stay in one place too long. And always hold them over something low with a soft landing eg cushions in case he decides to rub or jump.

well woke up at 4 in the morning, he was going nuts, and not sure what for, he was chewing at the bars (mostly at the same corner of the cage) like he was really going at it... then was kinda darting about etc, he had food and water and all that, he was climbing the bars of the cage.. just like when he first got in the cage but that slowly phased out.. but he started again tonight.

was that maybe him wanting out??? cannot think of an other reason, he had food, water.. and stuff like that.. so it's the only thing I can think off, maybe ill have todo start doing what you say.. I do have a small pet carrier.. I got it at pets at home and brought him home in it.. so maybe I can try get him to get into that!


and do start the taming process.. he still isn't that old, but want to start soon as I can.

I never picked him up at pets at home, but my niece got to give him a gentle stroke, and he was fine. (before he was brought home)
Geo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:08 AM   #93
Geo92
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 78
Default Re: New hamster.

so i did put him in the bathtub last night, was kinda hard to get him in the pet carrier as he was spooked by it for the first 5 mins then he settled down with it, got him in it, and put him the bathtub,

sat in it with him he just walked about (Mostly trying to get out the sides to escape, (bath is very deep) so no chance of that) put him back in his cage after.
Geo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:35 AM   #94
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 19,848
Default Re: New hamster.

Is his wheel spinning ok? They can go crazy if they can’t exercise on it during the night. Or did you spot clean that day maybe?
__________________
Serendipity7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:56 AM   #95
Geo92
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 78
Default Re: New hamster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Is his wheel spinning ok? They can go crazy if they can’t exercise on it during the night. Or did you spot clean that day maybe?


his wheel is working ok alright lol he was on it all night last night lol, he didn't chew the bars or act like that the next night so Idk why.. I don't spot clean as much now, as you've told me just to do it every so often and isn't needed daily.


but he has been in the bathtub for 10 mins last night, mostly tried to escape, but I did it at least.
Geo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #96
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 19,848
Default Re: New hamster.

Yes they tend to just slither up and down the side trying to escape, but that's when you can give them the odd stroke on the back with one finger. If he jerks his head round then wait a bit before trying again. If he doesn't jerk his head round or leap etc then he is already accepting touch and part way there for handling.
__________________
Serendipity7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM   #97
Geo92
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 78
Default Re: New hamster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Yes they tend to just slither up and down the side trying to escape, but that's when you can give them the odd stroke on the back with one finger. If he jerks his head round then wait a bit before trying again. If he doesn't jerk his head round or leap etc then he is already accepting touch and part way there for handling.

Woke up 10 mins ago chewing again. It's seems to be at the one corner of the cage and I don't know why.
Geo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:37 AM   #98
Maker
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 67
Default Re: New hamster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo92 View Post
Woke up 10 mins ago chewing again. It's seems to be at the one corner of the cage and I don't know why.
I should try and divert his attention, maybe find a grass type mat, I use the Trixie ones, they are big enough to go on the inside of the cage walls and hide the bars and give them something to chew which is less noisy and in my eyes more of a natural activity, my polo has torn some off which she uses as bedding but mostly prefers this to bar chewing.
__________________
First time mum to a female Syrian Hamster called Polo (other mints are available) 🐹
Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eating, fine, hamster, nest, spot

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-19, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:40 PM.