Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2019, 03:59 AM   #1
Engel
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 89
Default Meet Niko

Hi all, I picked up Niko from the re-home/adoption bit of pets at home. He's a 3 month old roborovski hamster. He is my first dwarf hamster but I think I'm doing things right. Ive had him 4 days and he's already taking food from my hand! He doesn't seem too fussed about me being in his inclosure. He'll walk over my hand and carry on hamstering about.

I'm using a bin cage which has 432 square inches of space. I know 450 is the minimum but this is the largest 'bin' I could find and to be honest it's better than the tiny foot long vivarium that he was kept in.

Any tips, tricks, advice would be greatly appreciated. As I said, he's my first dwarf hamster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191007_170953294.jpg (2.38 MB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191010_193251323.jpg (3.34 MB, 57 views)

Last edited by souffle; 10-11-2019 at 04:05 AM.
Engel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:06 AM   #2
souffle
Moderator
 
souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK but my heart lies in Scotland!
Posts: 26,937
Default Re: Meet Niko

what a cutie. Hope he settles in well.
I've edited to remove the attachment as the pics are too large for the forum when showing.
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:33 AM   #3
Ria P
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 1,131
Default Re: Meet Niko

Hi and a warm welcome to you both!

That's amazing that Niko already takes food from your hand after only 4 days. He'll be so glad so to be able to do his hamster stuff now.

I have also an adopted Robo from pets@home but he's still a bit shy. Like you, i'm also still learning about dwarves. It's great to be on this friendly site to share stories, photos and queries.

Tip: get him a small whimzee dog chew, hamsters love them.

Last edited by Ria P; 10-11-2019 at 06:35 AM. Reason: addition
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #4
PurpleKat
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Midlands
Posts: 184
Default Re: Meet Niko

That looks like a really good set up.
I have the same bin cage for my Robo and Russian, they seem happy in them.
My Robo loves her sand bath, so maybe a bigger one.
Also more hides, maybe a burrow box.
A wooden log tunnel, with a few holes, to chew and hide in.
__________________
Proud protector of Elaina & Frigg & Pancake. Always learning.
Always in my heart Caroline
https://www.instagram.com/kats_hammys/
PurpleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #5
Engel
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 89
Default Re: Meet Niko

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKat View Post
That looks like a really good set up.
I have the same bin cage for my Robo and Russian, they seem happy in them.
My Robo loves her sand bath, so maybe a bigger one.
Also more hides, maybe a burrow box.
A wooden log tunnel, with a few holes, to chew and hide in.
Thank you. Niko never had a sand bath before so I didn't know if he'd even use it. Now I know he loves it, it's definitely going bigger. It's currently a rabbit bowl but my rats were fed out a bowl bigger than that so must be for one tiny rabbit lol. Burrow box will be no point as he burrows everywhere. I currently only have a 14 litre bag of carefresh in with him but managed to get the last 60 litre yesterday (currently in the freezer) so I'll add more in so he can have a whale of a time I will get more hides but to be honest he seems ok being out in the open which I find odd but I'll probably try and DIY some stuff for him
Engel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
Engel
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 89
Default Re: Meet Niko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Hi and a warm welcome to you both!

That's amazing that Niko already takes food from your hand after only 4 days. He'll be so glad so to be able to do his hamster stuff now.

I have also an adopted Robo from pets@home but he's still a bit shy. Like you, i'm also still learning about dwarves. It's great to be on this friendly site to share stories, photos and queries.

Tip: get him a small whimzee dog chew, hamsters love them.
Niko loves pumpkin seeds! Way to any animals heart is through its stomach. My rats really liked yoghurt drops which hammy's can also have. Today he let me hold him and he happily sat on my hand for a couple of minutes and stroke him while he had a pumpkin seed. Patience is key. On day one he was quite skittish more than my Syrian was (that I can remember, I was 7 or .

If I'd known they like whimzee treats I wouldn't have donated mine as my dogs can have them
Engel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
Engel
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 89
Default Re: Meet Niko

Quote:
Originally Posted by souffle View Post
what a cutie. Hope he settles in well.
I've edited to remove the attachment as the pics are too large for the forum when showing.

Thank you, he seems to be settling in really well! He's made himself right at home. So no one can see the pics now? How would I go about uploading them onto here in the future?
Engel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:39 AM   #8
Ria P
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 1,131
Default Re: Meet Niko

I can see your photos.

My dwarf lives in a bin cage that i would like to be bigger but he seems ok.

I put his wheel in a sweetie tub and filled it with sand which saves space and gives him a big sand bath.

The table with his bowl and bottle is a converted 2.99 bamboo rack with two bars sewn off so he won't get stuck and a cardboard top added. He moved in and decided that its a house now!

The long, bendy Trixie bridges are on offer on Amazon just now at 5.50 and ever so versatile.

Here's a photo of my bin cage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191006_100436.jpg (2.64 MB, 29 views)
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
Engel
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 89
Default Re: Meet Niko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I can see your photos.

My dwarf lives in a bin cage that i would like to be bigger but he seems ok.

I put his wheel in a sweetie tub and filled it with sand which saves space and gives him a big sand bath.

The table with his bowl and bottle is a converted 2.99 bamboo rack with two bars sewn off so he won't get stuck and a cardboard top added. He moved in and decided that its a house now!

The long, bendy Trixie bridges are on offer on Amazon just now at 5.50 and ever so versatile.

Here's a photo of my bin cage.
Aww bless. I really like that set up. I was going to find a cheap dogs bowl to be his sand bath didn't think of a sweets tub
Engel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #10
Engel
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 89
Default Re: Meet Niko

IMG_20191012_212549037.jpgJust gave him a small clean out and added more substrate and hides
Engel is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bin, hand, dwarf, hamster, niko, minimum, find, largest, space, cage, square, inches, honest, greatly, appreciated, advice, tricks, tips, tiny, vivarium, long, foot, roborovski, month, things

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-19, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03 AM.