Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #41
Abi5sos1d
Adult Hamster
 
Abi5sos1d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Guildford, Surrey UK
Posts: 379
Default Re: Peanut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB_Hamsters View Post
I would recommend writing down instructions for your friend on what to do with Peanut. Is there a way your friend can keep Peanut in a room that the cat won't be able to get into? This may be safer and less stressful for Peanut to.
Originally they were going to put her in my friend's room but there isn't enough space so she will be going into their living room, they told me that the cat wouldn't be able to get on top of her cage and I hope that is the case. What sort of things do you think I should write down? I don't know if my friend will handle her as she has an OCD with touching things, but she was honestly my only choice.
Abi5sos1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #42
SKB_Hamsters
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
SKB_Hamsters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 3,097
Default Re: Peanut!

How long are you going away for? I would just write down the basic hamster care such as changing water, when she needs to be fed, making sure she is ok. But make sure her cage is filled with plenty of toys and enrichment (such as hiding treats/food in small cardboard boxes) to keep her happy. I would recommend that your friend doesn't handle her if she doesn't feel comfortable doing so as this will be the least stressful.

At night would the cat be in the same room as Peanut? as this would be the time I would most be worried if no one is there to supervise the cat around her cage.
__________________
My Sweet Naughty Tortie Liquorice and My Special Sweet Humbug
R.I.P Honey, Caramel, Cotton, Cookie, Toffee, Sherbet, Pumpkin, Maple and Treacle. Forever in my Heart <3
SKB_Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #43
Abi5sos1d
Adult Hamster
 
Abi5sos1d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Guildford, Surrey UK
Posts: 379
Default Re: Peanut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB_Hamsters View Post
How long are you going away for? I would just write down the basic hamster care such as changing water, when she needs to be fed, making sure she is ok. But make sure her cage is filled with plenty of toys and enrichment (such as hiding treats/food in small cardboard boxes) to keep her happy. I would recommend that your friend doesn't handle her if she doesn't feel comfortable doing so as this will be the least stressful.

At night would the cat be in the same room as Peanut? as this would be the time I would most be worried if no one is there to supervise the cat around her cage.
I believe that they don't let him into the living room at night I think he sleeps in her parent's room and the thing is she isn't really interested in cardboard which is strange. She doesn't chew it or really take notice of it, she has three cardboard tubes and a box which she goes in sometimes but she only chews her fruit flavoured chews and her markies.
Abi5sos1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #44
SKB_Hamsters
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
SKB_Hamsters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 3,097
Default Re: Peanut!

Ok, if the cat isn't allowed in the living room at night I wouldn't be to worried maybe if you can put something heavy on top of the cage door so it wouldn't be easy for a cat to open during the day.

If she has something to keep her occupied and amused in her cage such as plenty of her favourite chews and I don't think she would mind not being handled.
__________________
My Sweet Naughty Tortie Liquorice and My Special Sweet Humbug
R.I.P Honey, Caramel, Cotton, Cookie, Toffee, Sherbet, Pumpkin, Maple and Treacle. Forever in my Heart <3
SKB_Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #45
Abi5sos1d
Adult Hamster
 
Abi5sos1d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Guildford, Surrey UK
Posts: 379
Default Re: Peanut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB_Hamsters View Post
Ok, if the cat isn't allowed in the living room at night I wouldn't be to worried maybe if you can put something heavy on top of the cage door so it wouldn't be easy for a cat to open during the day.

If she has something to keep her occupied and amused in her cage such as plenty of her favourite chews and I don't think she would mind not being handled.
I hope so, she really does love coming out even when I am moving something in her cage or filling her bowls up she climbs onto my hand and up my arm. I take her out every day and I'm worried that she would mind not coming out. I will be gone for a week too.
Abi5sos1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #46
SKB_Hamsters
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
SKB_Hamsters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 3,097
Default Re: Peanut!

When I go on holiday I rather people not to handle my hamsters as I feel more worried that my hamsters may jump and get hurt, bite or get stressed out which I would find that worse than them not getting handled daily. I think this would be best especially if you friend is not experience with hamsters and especially if a cat is around.

When you get back you can give you her loads of cuddles to make up for it.
__________________
My Sweet Naughty Tortie Liquorice and My Special Sweet Humbug
R.I.P Honey, Caramel, Cotton, Cookie, Toffee, Sherbet, Pumpkin, Maple and Treacle. Forever in my Heart <3
SKB_Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #47
Abi5sos1d
Adult Hamster
 
Abi5sos1d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Guildford, Surrey UK
Posts: 379
Default Re: Peanut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB_Hamsters View Post
When I go on holiday I rather people not to handle my hamsters as I feel more worried that my hamsters may jump and get hurt, bite or get stressed out which I would find that worse than them not getting handled daily. I think this would be best especially if you friend is not experience with hamsters and especially if a cat is around.

When you get back you can give you her loads of cuddles to make up for it.
Yeah, she does get spooked quite easily to be honest I think the scent of the cat would drive her mad. She always seeems to be monkey barring or going on her wheel, she has loads of toys but she doesn't bother with them I don't know if she's getting enough enrichment to be honest.
Abi5sos1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #48
SKB_Hamsters
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
SKB_Hamsters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 3,097
Default Re: Peanut!

Have you tried scatter feeding this works really well at providing enrichment especially if you mix it in the substrate so she would have to dig to find it, this works well with my hamster, Sherbet, who gets easily bored this keeps her amused for a while.
__________________
My Sweet Naughty Tortie Liquorice and My Special Sweet Humbug
R.I.P Honey, Caramel, Cotton, Cookie, Toffee, Sherbet, Pumpkin, Maple and Treacle. Forever in my Heart <3
SKB_Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #49
Abi5sos1d
Adult Hamster
 
Abi5sos1d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Guildford, Surrey UK
Posts: 379
Default Re: Peanut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB_Hamsters View Post
Have you tried scatter feeding this works really well at providing enrichment especially if you mix it in the substrate so she would have to dig to find it, this works well with my hamster, Sherbet, who gets easily bored this keeps her amused for a while.
Yeah I scatter feed her treats when I give them to her and she enjoys that however I feel like she needs more
Abi5sos1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #50
SKB_Hamsters
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
SKB_Hamsters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 3,097
Default Re: Peanut!

I understand how you feel Sherbet gets bored really easily and demand attention, everything I tried to keep her occupied after a few seconds she no longer interested in again, but she is also a hamster who loves her cuddles. So I don't know what else to suggest regarding erichment, someone else may be able to offer some other ideas as I find cardboard boxes are a good enrichment to climb on top, hide within and chew up (but if she doesn't like to chew cardboard this may not be ideal for her), also rat sized tunnel are the only toys Sherbet really enjoys.
__________________
My Sweet Naughty Tortie Liquorice and My Special Sweet Humbug
R.I.P Honey, Caramel, Cotton, Cookie, Toffee, Sherbet, Pumpkin, Maple and Treacle. Forever in my Heart <3
SKB_Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
furry, peanut, post, princess, thought

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-19, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:20 AM.