Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Hamtastic
Retired Moderators
 
Hamtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 6,330
Default Onion and Leeks in a hamster mix

I'm confused why a commercial hamster mix (Ecotrition -- non-organic kind) has onions and leeks in it... I thought it was common knowledge that they are bad for a hamster. But then also this stuff gets pretty good reviews, so either the amounts of onions and leeks is very small, or the kind it has is dried and with reduced amount of what makes it toxic? I'm just confused, because I do like the variety in this list:

Oat Groats, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Whole Corn, Heat Processed Soybeans, White Millet, Milo, Wheat, Pumpkin Seed, Spanish Peanuts, Diced Papaya, Banana Chips, Ground Corn, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Soybean Hulls, Ground Oats, Cane Molasses, Salt, Diced Carrots, Diced Potatoes, Minced Onions, Parsley Flakes, Celery Flakes, Diced Red Peppers, Diced Green Peppers, Cabbage Flakes, Leek Flakes, Diced Zucchini, Tomato Flakes, Spinach Flakes, Flax Seed, Ground Limestone

Any ideas they might have been added?
__________________
~ Maxwell ~ Hamilton ~ Tofu ~
Reward yourself and make a hamster in need happy - Consider Adoption!
Hamtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
Silver
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,120
Default Re: Onion and Leeks in a hamster mix

That is strange. I would personally not try it just in case, although as you have said ive heard some people like it.

Im guessing its a very small amount, but wouldn't risk it xxxx
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:35 AM   #3
SnickersTheFirst
The Hamster Princess
 
SnickersTheFirst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 7,424
Send a message via MSN to SnickersTheFirst
Default Re: Onion and Leeks in a hamster mix

I really don't see why they've added that. A majority of animals are not allowed leeks or onions. I'm with Silver on that I wouldn't risk it just in case, but I suppose a lot of people haven't noticed any ill effects?
__________________
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...sig_110512.jpg
RIP:
Snickers & Munchkin & Cooper & Maisie & Oscar <3
SnickersTheFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:44 AM   #4
Gamina
Hamster Addict
 
Gamina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenwich, London
Posts: 1,012
Default Re: Onion and Leeks in a hamster mix

Do you have anyway to email the manufacturers? I would do that and see what they have to say. Just because the onion is dried is not going to stop exactly what it is that noion does to hamsters
__________________

My Papercraft Shop
Gamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
Hamtastic
Retired Moderators
 
Hamtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 6,330
Default Re: Onion and Leeks in a hamster mix

Yes, I will ask. Was just curious why they were added, as I'm sure a lot of research goes into those commercial mixes.
__________________
~ Maxwell ~ Hamilton ~ Tofu ~
Reward yourself and make a hamster in need happy - Consider Adoption!
Hamtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
Mrs.Wiffles
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 127
Default Re: Onion and Leeks in a hamster mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtastic View Post
I'm confused why a commercial hamster mix (Ecotrition -- non-organic kind) has onions and leeks in it... I thought it was common knowledge that they are bad for a hamster. But then also this stuff gets pretty good reviews, so either the amounts of onions and leeks is very small, or the kind it has is dried and with reduced amount of what makes it toxic? I'm just confused, because I do like the variety in this list:

Oat Groats, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Whole Corn, Heat Processed Soybeans, White Millet, Milo, Wheat, Pumpkin Seed, Spanish Peanuts, Diced Papaya, Banana Chips, Ground Corn, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Soybean Hulls, Ground Oats, Cane Molasses, Salt, Diced Carrots, Diced Potatoes, Minced Onions, Parsley Flakes, Celery Flakes, Diced Red Peppers, Diced Green Peppers, Cabbage Flakes, Leek Flakes, Diced Zucchini, Tomato Flakes, Spinach Flakes, Flax Seed, Ground Limestone

Any ideas they might have been added?
It is interesting that you mention this, because P@H sell a hamster treat mix which contains prawns. I queried this and they said the % is so minute, that it is negligible. Any thoughts?
Mrs.Wiffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Gamina
Hamster Addict
 
Gamina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenwich, London
Posts: 1,012
Default Re: Onion and Leeks in a hamster mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Wiffles View Post
It is interesting that you mention this, because P@H sell a hamster treat mix which contains prawns. I queried this and they said the % is so minute, that it is negligible. Any thoughts?
I feed my hamster shrimps its pretty much the same as feeding them meal worms, infact Greyjoy won't touch mealworms but loves shrimps. Hamsters are omnivores they enjoy insects and sometimes the protein boost can be good in certain situations.
__________________

My Papercraft Shop
Gamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Mrs.Wiffles
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 127
Default Re: Onion and Leeks in a hamster mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamina View Post
I feed my hamster shrimps its pretty much the same as feeding them meal worms, infact Greyjoy won't touch mealworms but loves shrimps. Hamsters are omnivores they enjoy insects and sometimes the protein boost can be good in certain situations.
Thanks for this as I thought they could not have shrimps.
Mrs.Wiffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
Gamina
Hamster Addict
 
Gamina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenwich, London
Posts: 1,012
Default Re: Onion and Leeks in a hamster mix

My boys also all love these. I think a couple of other people on the forum have said their hamsters go mad for them Shrimp Cookies - 2.48 : ratRations.com, Rat food, base mixes and herbs
__________________

My Papercraft Shop
Gamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:26 AM   #10
Silver
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,120
Default Re: Onion and Leeks in a hamster mix

All three of my mix's for Dwarfs have shrimp in them. When they first saw the shrimp they didn't quiet know what to do, but once tasted they love it.

My mix's have a strong smell due to the shrimp. Mine also like the shrimp cookies, I found some at the local garden centre, not so keen on the clover cookies though.

Shrimp is a great sauce of protein, with not as much fat as the mealworms xxxx
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07 AM.