Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Ponymad2104
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 115
Default Food for lactating/weaning

I have a pregnant Syrian hamster (accidental, I brought her as a male!) she's due this weekend. Currently she's on Pets At Home (what she was on when I brought her) supplemented with mealworms and extra sunflower seeds, I'm worried as the pieces are quite big for weaning the babies and it's not a very good quality food.,
I can't use Harry Hamster

Is the dwarf hamster harvest okay to feed to Syrians?

Last edited by Ponymad2104; 10-26-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Ponymad2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
souffle
Moderator
 
souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK but my heart lies in Scotland!
Posts: 26,542
Default Re: Food for lactating/weaning

We do feed harry hamster as the main food here but when the pups are around 5 days we start adding some dwarf food to the bowl for mum to take in. The mother will tend to make a store in a tunnel near the nest and the pups soon learn where that is. What we use mainly for pups is an Omega seed mix (for humans that you sprinkle on porridge) We get it in Holland and Barratt. Pups also start getting tiny chopped veg like cucumber and brocolli crumbled from quite early on. Mum gets babyfood, porridge, tofu, cheese, cooked chicken (different ones each day) and we soak cat biscuits (Purina 1 chicken) till they are soft and babies and mums love those. Hope that helps.
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Ponymad2104
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 115
Default Re: Food for lactating/weaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by souffle View Post
We do feed harry hamster as the main food here but when the pups are around 5 days we start adding some dwarf food to the bowl for mum to take in. The mother will tend to make a store in a tunnel near the nest and the pups soon learn where that is. What we use mainly for pups is an Omega seed mix (for humans that you sprinkle on porridge) We get it in Holland and Barratt. Pups also start getting tiny chopped veg like cucumber and brocolli crumbled from quite early on. Mum gets babyfood, porridge, tofu, cheese, cooked chicken (different ones each day) and we soak cat biscuits (Purina 1 chicken) till they are soft and babies and mums love those. Hope that helps.
Thank you, that really helps! Unfortunately I can't feed Harry hamster, do you know of any mixes for syrians that don't contain nuts?

Do you soak the porridge in water?
Ponymad2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:05 PM   #4
souffle
Moderator
 
souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK but my heart lies in Scotland!
Posts: 26,542
Default Re: Food for lactating/weaning

The Bunny food doesn't have nuts though it does have sesame in it. https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small...RoCfY4QAvD_BwE
I don't think it's the time to change food though so I would stick with what you have and supplement with some of the ones I suggested. Bunny is expensive.
I make the porridge (or ready brek) up just as I would for a human with water and cook it and I add a teeny bit of sugar as the mums need energy I think.
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
Ponymad2104
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 115
Default Re: Food for lactating/weaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by souffle View Post
The Bunny food doesn't have nuts though it does have sesame in it. https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small...RoCfY4QAvD_BwE
I don't think it's the time to change food though so I would stick with what you have and supplement with some of the ones I suggested. Bunny is expensive.
I make the porridge (or ready brek) up just as I would for a human with water and cook it and I add a teeny bit of sugar as the mums need energy I think.
Sesame is fine, I'll do an order once everything is sorted with the babies and I know how many I'm keeping
Ponymad2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
souffle
Moderator
 
souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK but my heart lies in Scotland!
Posts: 26,542
Default Re: Food for lactating/weaning

There are two type and ingredients are listed here :
https://bunny-nature.com/products.en#.gv.ge
It's a German mix but it was popular with breeders for a while.
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
Ponymad2104
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 115
Default Re: Food for lactating/weaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by souffle View Post
There are two type and ingredients are listed here :
https://bunny-nature.com/products.en#.gv.ge
It's a German mix but it was popular with breeders for a while.
The protein is only 15% so I'm assuming I'll need to supplement with more protein?
Ponymad2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
souffle
Moderator
 
souffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK but my heart lies in Scotland!
Posts: 26,542
Default Re: Food for lactating/weaning

They seem to do well on it but yes adding some tofu, chicken and other sources of protein would help with youngsters. With food mixes though you can never guarantee what they will eat and what they leave so you can only offer the best diet you can.They do seem to select a naturally balanced diet in my experience.
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #9
Ponymad2104
Hamster Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 115
Default Re: Food for lactating/weaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by souffle View Post
They seem to do well on it but yes adding some tofu, chicken and other sources of protein would help with youngsters. With food mixes though you can never guarantee what they will eat and what they leave so you can only offer the best diet you can.They do seem to select a naturally balanced diet in my experience.
I did notice that! Ever since I got her I've offered dried mealworms but only during the last 2 days as she gets closer to having her pups has she started to eat them
Ponymad2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
shes, food, babies, syrian, hamster, protein, high, mix, ratrations, recommend, hamsters, wean, female, lactating, good, choice, worried, due, male, weekend, harry, brought, lactating/weaning, pregnant, accidental

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright 2003-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:53 PM.