Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #1
Elliex2
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 4
Default Crazy hamster

Hi Iím new to this! I have 2 hamsters kept separately, 1 year old Gus and 3 month old(?) Minnie. Gus is a very relaxed friendly hamster but Minnie is the complete opposite... Minnie was very calm when we got her let you stroke her and was picked up a couple times she has done a complete 180 and is terrified of everything canít even walk past the cage with out her jumping. Gus never did this and when I say jumping she is bolting around the cage and actually flipping over. I donít know what to so because I feel it may be stressing Gus out and thatís the last thing I want. Feel like sheís gunna have heart failure or something. Need some advice on what to do.
Elliex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:28 AM   #2
Ria P
Hamster Addict
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 1,034
Default Re: Crazy hamster

Hi and welcome!

What kind of hamster is Minnie?
I have a dwarf who was crazy when i got him, throwing himself about at the slightest touch, biting, attacking etc but he's much calmer now that it has finally sunk in that he is safe and loved.

Often hamsters will settle down in time given that they have the habitat they want and need.

You say that Minnie is bolting and flipping over.

Does she have enough places to hide and take cover? This is very important for hamsters because they are shy by nature and don't like to feel exposed.

A hamster needs a bottomless house sitting on top of the substrate, tunnels and tubes to run through, hides like a coconut hut, bendy bridge etc, maybe a platform to sit under and substrate deep enough to burrow if they want to.

Is her cage in a quiet location away from cats and dogs?
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:40 AM   #3
Elliex2
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 4
Default Re: Crazy hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Hi and welcome!

What kind of hamster is Minnie?
I have a dwarf who was crazy when i got him, throwing himself about at the slightest touch, biting, attacking etc but he's much calmer now that it has finally sunk in that he is safe and loved.

Often hamsters will settle down in time given that they have the habitat they want and need.

You say that Minnie is bolting and flipping over.

Does she have enough places to hide and take cover? This is very important for hamsters because they are shy by nature and don't like to feel exposed.

A hamster needs a bottomless house sitting on top of the substrate, tunnels and tubes to run through, hides like a coconut hut, bendy bridge etc, maybe a platform to sit under and substrate deep enough to burrow if they want to.

Is her cage in a quiet location away from cats and dogs?
She is a Syrian

She has plenty of space in a quite house, Iíll put some more things in her cage that she can use to hide. I will also give her time Iím just nervous that she will stay like this forever thatís all
Elliex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:00 AM   #4
Ria P
Hamster Addict
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 1,034
Default Re: Crazy hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliex2 View Post
She is a Syrian

She has plenty of space in a quite house, Iíll put some more things in her cage that she can use to hide. I will also give her time Iím just nervous that she will stay like this forever thatís all
Yes, i understand why you are worried. We want our hamsters to be happy and relaxed. How long have you had her?

Are Gus's and Minnie's cages very close together? I'm just wondering if she could smell Gus who i take it is a male hamster, when she's in heat and then becomes agitated? This is a bit of a wild guess because i've never had a female hamster.

I've heard that male Syrians are often calmer than females.
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:10 AM   #5
Elliex2
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 4
Default Re: Crazy hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Yes, i understand why you are worried. We want our hamsters to be happy and relaxed. How long have you had her?

Are Gus's and Minnie's cages very close together? I'm just wondering if she could smell Gus who i take it is a male hamster, when she's in heat and then becomes agitated? This is a bit of a wild guess because i've never had a female hamster.

I've heard that male Syrians are often calmer than females.
Not had her for that long but they arenít near each other. Think Iím just going to leave her be for a while then very slowly introduce myself
Elliex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:45 AM   #6
Ria P
Hamster Addict
 
Ria P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 1,034
Default Re: Crazy hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliex2 View Post
Not had her for that long but they arenít near each other. Think Iím just going to leave her be for a while then very slowly introduce myself
That's what i did with my dwarf. I just talked to him gently for a while without trying to interact with him. Then offered a treat through his window and dropped it in his cage when he run off and eventually he started to come to the window looking for the mealworm. He takes it from my fingers now but i can't pick him up or handle him.

Sometimes Hamsters need us to be very patient and Minnie is still very young.
Ria P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
LunaTheHamster1
Senior Hamster
 
LunaTheHamster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 415
Default Re: Crazy hamster

I've found male and female syrians are totally different natured. My male syrians I had when I was young were so placid, so when I adopted Luna, my first female syrian it had never even entered my head that there could be a difference between male and female. I was worried about her at first, but then just realised it was just because she was female and she was way more energetic and into everything, way more so than the boys I had ever where. For example my males were happy to just sit and chill on my bed, whereas Luna would do anything possible to become a lemming and try to jump off the bed into thin air, given the chance. Like you said, maybe just work with her a bit more slowly and she may come around and become tamer. Goodluck
__________________
Cosmic Hamsters YouTube Channel
LunaTheHamster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #8
Elliex2
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 4
Default Re: Crazy hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
I've found male and female syrians are totally different natured. My male syrians I had when I was young were so placid, so when I adopted Luna, my first female syrian it had never even entered my head that there could be a difference between male and female. I was worried about her at first, but then just realised it was just because she was female and she was way more energetic and into everything, way more so than the boys I had ever where. For example my males were happy to just sit and chill on my bed, whereas Luna would do anything possible to become a lemming and try to jump off the bed into thin air, given the chance. Like you said, maybe just work with her a bit more slowly and she may come around and become tamer. Goodluck
Thank you and yeh never thought there would be a difference in gender either.
Elliex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gus, minnie, jumping, complete, cage, feel, hamster, bolting, flipping, donít, failure, heart, advice, gunna, thatís, stressing, thing, sheís, relaxed, month, friendly, calm, opposite, year, iím

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2003-19, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 AM.