Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
Dearest
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Default Hamster change in behavior

My girl is still sweet, social and active. She has 10 inches of bedding so her favorite place to sleep is under all that. For the past few days she started to eat and store so much food in her pouch, even the pellets she refused before. She hardly comes out, when she does itís to do her thing (wheel, eat, drink or use the sand bath, will hang out fine with me if I offer my hand) then back to her underground world. She wasnít like that before, sheíd hang out outside ALL night, even napping in a corner on top of the bedding if needed. Sheís chubbier but in a 8 shape of some sorts since her cheeks are full. Itís getting colder and winter will hit in a few weeks so that might be it? I live in a tropical country so it doesnít get very cold. Iím worried sheís sick or pregnant, which is an irrational fear I canít shake off, not prepared to deal with pups from my first hamster, I can see her nipples depending on the angle
Dearest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:15 AM   #2
Fluffagrams
Moderator
 
Fluffagrams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bath, UK
Posts: 3,418
Default Re: Hamster change in behavior

Has she been near any male hamsters?

Syrian hamsters are only pregnant for about 16 days so if she’s not been near any other hamsters recentely, she’s not likely to be pregnant.

In preparation for winter, some hamsters do seem to stash a bit more and spend more time in their nests. I guess that it’s a trait leftover from their days in the wild. That’s not necessarily anything to worry about but Syrian hamsters do enter a semi hibernation state called torpor if they get too cold so keep an eye on the temperature in the room that she lives in.
__________________
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:37 AM   #3
Dearest
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Default Re: Hamster change in behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffagrams View Post
Has she been near any male hamsters?

Syrian hamsters are only pregnant for about 16 days so if sheís not been near any other hamsters recentely, sheís not likely to be pregnant.

In preparation for winter, some hamsters do seem to stash a bit more and spend more time in their nests. I guess that itís a trait leftover from their days in the wild. Thatís not necessarily anything to worry about but Syrian hamsters do enter a semi hibernation state called torpor if they get too cold so keep an eye on the temperature in the room that she lives in.
Sheís a Russian dwarf actually and today marks 21 days since Iíve had her so I guess weíre in the clear for pregnancy? I got her from a pet store, so maybe she was with males, not sure... I know itís not ideal, but I didnít want a hamster, I wanted HER. tonight she had her pouches emptier, but her nest is out of sight unless she burrows food against the glass. Iím covering half of her tank with a light blanket during the night, daytime is still warmish. Sheís in my daughters room, so itís always a good temperature. Iíve had other pets before, sheís by far my favorite, so I worry a lot hahah
Dearest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:08 AM   #4
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3,654
Default Re: Hamster change in behavior

Don't feel bad about getting a pet store hamster, that is an entirely personal decision that nobody but the owner can make.

That being said, some pet store employees just aren't aware of how to properly determine what sex a hamster is(or even guinea pigs for example)so there is an inherent risk with any pet store hamster being pregnant.
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:51 AM   #5
Fluffagrams
Moderator
 
Fluffagrams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bath, UK
Posts: 3,418
Default Re: Hamster change in behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearest View Post
Sheís a Russian dwarf actually and today marks 21 days since Iíve had her so I guess weíre in the clear for pregnancy? I got her from a pet store, so maybe she was with males, not sure... I know itís not ideal, but I didnít want a hamster, I wanted HER. tonight she had her pouches emptier, but her nest is out of sight unless she burrows food against the glass. Iím covering half of her tank with a light blanket during the night, daytime is still warmish. Sheís in my daughters room, so itís always a good temperature. Iíve had other pets before, sheís by far my favorite, so I worry a lot hahah
It may be possible that she may have been with males in a pet shop as employees are not always able to accurately sex hamsters, particularly Russian and Roborovski Hamsters where it may not always be as glaringly obvious.

A Russian Hamster's usual gestation is about 18 days but they can delay pregnancy so it can be up to 25 days gestation. Often pregnant Syrians will show in the run up to the due date but this is not always the case and I had a Chinese who barely showed at all when she was pregnant with her 7 babies. If she is pregnant then it's best to keep disturbances to a minimum until the pups are about 14 days old. If they've recentely given birth you may notice them spending very little time outside of the nest, and once out, they will often rush back again. You may also hear squeaks or rustling in the nest that might give you an indication that there are babies on the way and you may notice some change to the mother's shape.

Hopefully this is not going to be the case and the changes in her behaviour are down to seasonal variations but just in case I thought I ought to cover it. There are several breeders on this forum on hand to give advice if she is pregnant so don't worry we can help you with information on that.
__________________
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
merlin
Newborn Pup
 
merlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 20
Default Re: Hamster change in behavior

Aww my very best wishes to your little sweetie. I also just something I wanted to note something since you mentioned that you live in a tropical country. Are you able to keep her surroundings at a range between around 68-72. That's very helpful to maintaining her long-term health and comfort, and certainly for her and her pups if she is indeed pregnant. I hope things go well. Keep us updated. -M
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:21 PM   #7
Dearest
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Default Re: Hamster change in behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
Don't feel bad about getting a pet store hamster, that is an entirely personal decision that nobody but the owner can make.

That being said, some pet store employees just aren't aware of how to properly determine what sex a hamster is(or even guinea pigs for example)so there is an inherent risk with any pet store hamster being pregnant.
Oh thanks! I gave up fish keeping because of the pet store abuse so it felt a bit odd. But I just wanted her and Iím sure she wanted to be mine too, she begs to be held since day one, falls asleep on me, empties her pouch on my hands so she can eat it. So Iíve come to terms that it is what it is and Iím happy I can give her a good life from the start thanks to this forum.
Dearest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #8
Dearest
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Default Re: Hamster change in behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffagrams View Post
It may be possible that she may have been with males in a pet shop as employees are not always able to accurately sex hamsters, particularly Russian and Roborovski Hamsters where it may not always be as glaringly obvious.

A Russian Hamster's usual gestation is about 18 days but they can delay pregnancy so it can be up to 25 days gestation. Often pregnant Syrians will show in the run up to the due date but this is not always the case and I had a Chinese who barely showed at all when she was pregnant with her 7 babies. If she is pregnant then it's best to keep disturbances to a minimum until the pups are about 14 days old. If they've recentely given birth you may notice them spending very little time outside of the nest, and once out, they will often rush back again. You may also hear squeaks or rustling in the nest that might give you an indication that there are babies on the way and you may notice some change to the mother's shape.

Hopefully this is not going to be the case and the changes in her behaviour are down to seasonal variations but just in case I thought I ought to cover it. There are several breeders on this forum on hand to give advice if she is pregnant so don't worry we can help you with information on that.
Thank you! In my sort of freaking out moment I did some research on pregnancy and pup care, but it only made me want babies less and less lol. I hear nothing in her cage so thatís a big relief. I canít wait until the one month mark so I can put this behind, sounds silly, but itís pure nightmare fuel to me. No idea what Iíd do with 7 babies after they wean
Dearest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
Dearest
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Default Re: Hamster change in behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
Aww my very best wishes to your little sweetie. I also just something I wanted to note something since you mentioned that you live in a tropical country. Are you able to keep her surroundings at a range between around 68-72. That's very helpful to maintaining her long-term health and comfort, and certainly for her and her pups if she is indeed pregnant. I hope things go well. Keep us updated. -M
Thank you! Keeping her warm in the winter is easier, Iíll have to figure out how to keep the room colder during summer, but I guess it wonít be too hard. I live in the 14th floor so not much direct sun and a nice breeze, also not a super hot city.
Dearest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:44 PM   #10
Dearest
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Default Re: Hamster change in behavior

Hey guys! A update: I’ve had Poppy for a month now and no babies! I’m so relieved! I had no idea what I’d do if she showed up with pups, I’m an adult but I have a daughter (who is gentle and caring but I know it’d be difficult for her to understand the no touching mom and pups) and no space to even separate by sex. So thank god that never happened. Poppy is still a bit odd, very social and begs to be held when out, but if I don’t act fast she’ll hide again under the bedding and take a few hours to come back. It’s getting even colder here now so I’m covering her cage at night, just gave her a bit more bedding to dig and she loves it. We’re working on making her more toys and hides. I got her the cutest little house last week but her tunnels are still a favorite. So I guess the change in behavior was really coming from the cold weather. Thanks guys!
Dearest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
itís, eat, hang, hamster, sheís, bedding, full, deal, pups, colder, winter, nipples, chubbier, depending, needed, angle, hit, sorts, shape, cheeks, prepared, worried, iím, top, cold

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2003-17, Hobby Solutions Inc.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:09 AM.