Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Navigation
Front Page
Forum
Gallery
Wiki

Ads by Google


Go Back   Hamster Central > Hamster Central Forum Topics > Behaviour

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
MissPremium
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 22
Default My new Syrians very interesting behaviour...

My new hamster which I got about 2 days ago has decided to just sit on the back of the wheel oh the short of spindle bit. I am not sure why. I think she could be scared as when I talk softly to her that’s when she does it any suggestions? Here is a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ADAC17E0-5E9A-4A50-AAFD-8978D7C20E85.jpeg (32.1 KB, 34 views)
MissPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
Serendipity7000
Hamsters University
 
Serendipity7000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: North of England
Posts: 21,093
Default Re: My new Syrians very interesting behaviour...

Yes it looks like she is hiding - but why on top of the spindle I'm not sure! Usually it's best to leave them alone for 2 or 3 days to settle in. Maybe she just needs a bit longer. During that time best not to change or move anything in the cage - athough I'd have thought talking was ok. Are there other places to hide away in the cage? ie a good sized house that's dark inside?
__________________
Serendipity7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
MissPremium
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 22
Default Re: My new Syrians very interesting behaviour...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Yes it looks like she is hiding - but why on top of the spindle I'm not sure! Usually it's best to leave them alone for 2 or 3 days to settle in. Maybe she just needs a bit longer. During that time best not to change or move anything in the cage - athough I'd have thought talking was ok. Are there other places to hide away in the cage? ie a good sized house that's dark inside?
Yes I have a few hideouts; a bendy log bridge, a huge wooden house and a hay house. I have just been talking to her nothing too hands on I think she might be a little hard to tame even though I got her from a breeder.
MissPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
cypher
Dwarf whisperer
 
cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wales UK
Posts: 24,802
Default Re: My new Syrians very interesting behaviour...

It does look as though she's scared & I guess it would be darker behind the wheel & she probably feels really well hidden there even though she's not!
The house & hideouts sound ok, what about substrate, is it deep enough to dig down & burrow into?
It's very early days so she probably just needs some time to settle, I would keep talking to her just for brief periods then walk away & leave her for a while & she should soon begin to accept that you're not a threat.
Even for a ham from a breeder that may have been handled a new home is still a lot to adjust too.
__________________
Slave to Zak, Gusto & Merilin.
Always loved, never forgotten, forever in my heart
T'ycor, Ziggy, Zephyr, Flynt, Mickle, Little Whisp, Zen, Zeki, Tinwë, Zylvan, Míriel & Calyanwë
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
MissPremium
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 22
Default Re: My new Syrians very interesting behaviour...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
It does look as though she's scared & I guess it would be darker behind the wheel & she probably feels really well hidden there even though she's not!
The house & hideouts sound ok, what about substrate, is it deep enough to dig down & burrow into?
It's very early days so she probably just needs some time to settle, I would keep talking to her just for brief periods then walk away & leave her for a while & she should soon begin to accept that you're not a threat.
Even for a ham from a breeder that may have been handled a new home is still a lot to adjust too.
Yes I do think I have an adequate amount of substrate as the base is around 20cm and on one side I have filled it to the top of the base if that is not enough though I might purchase a fish tank to Put in the cage as a burrow box. I also feel quite bad as this morning I dropped a bag of her food on the floor and she was so frightened. I really hope this doesn’t affect the taming too much!
MissPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #6
cypher
Dwarf whisperer
 
cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wales UK
Posts: 24,802
Default Re: My new Syrians very interesting behaviour...

The substrate sounds fine.
I think she just needs time & patience tbh, a little scare like that shouldn't really make much difference, they can be easily scared by noises like that to begin with but soon get used to things, try not to worry too much.
__________________
Slave to Zak, Gusto & Merilin.
Always loved, never forgotten, forever in my heart
T'ycor, Ziggy, Zephyr, Flynt, Mickle, Little Whisp, Zen, Zeki, Tinwë, Zylvan, Míriel & Calyanwë
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
dreamtree1234
The Cuddler of Cuteness
 
dreamtree1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 3,288
Default Re: My new Syrians very interesting behaviour...

As others have said, it sounds as though she is a bit scared. It may just take a little extra time for her to settle in and get used to hearing unfamiliar noises. As Cypher said, I would definitely keep on softly talking to her in short increments and then leave her be. With time, she should adjust to her new home well and enjoy interacting with you at her own pace. I wouldn't be concerned right now since you haven't had her long at all. Good luck and keep us updated with her progress if you have the chance.
__________________

"...she fell into a deep sleep, and dreamed the dreams of the dreamtree." ~Stephen Cosgrove
Mum to Duchess. Fur Angels Eros007, Arwen, Hinata & Snickers 4Ever.
dreamtree1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:07 AM   #8
MissPremium
Newborn Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 22
Default Re: My new Syrians very interesting behaviour...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtree1234 View Post
As others have said, it sounds as though she is a bit scared. It may just take a little extra time for her to settle in and get used to hearing unfamiliar noises. As Cypher said, I would definitely keep on softly talking to her in short increments and then leave her be. With time, she should adjust to her new home well and enjoy interacting with you at her own pace. I wouldn't be concerned right now since you haven't had her long at all. Good luck and keep us updated with her progress if you have the chance.
Yes of course I will keep you all updated
MissPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
picture, scared, softly, suggestions, that’s, interesting, behaviour, syrians

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.43 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2003-2020, Hobby Solutions
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:39 AM.