PDA

View Full Version : I'm soo angry!!!!

rhona
07-28-2006, 09:03 AM
well my little cousin phoned today to ask if I could watch her hamster while she went down to England for a fortnight, and of course I said yes. She brought him up about a hour ago now and he is soooo small! After asking her when she got him his age etc. I found out he is actually a 6 week old Syrian hamster! Worst thing is she got him at 2 1/2 weeks old! :evil:

Her mum had bought her him because her other hammy had died from unknown causes. I am soo angry at my local pet shop for selling him soo young! and I'm angry at my aunt for buying the poor wee mite! although I must admit my cousin has been taking very good care of him and has been feeding him up on soft foods. But really some pet shops shouldn't sell pets!! :evil:

racinghamster
07-28-2006, 09:29 AM
That is shocking. It's a shame you weren't around at the time Rhona or you could have reported this shop to the local authority who grant them a licence to sell small animals. Also, the SSPCA. Poor wee mite. Well he's in good hands now at least. Pet shops really should smarten up their act. We are getting a new pet shop in Alloa soon called `Acorn Pets'. I had a snoop in their window last week and they are stocking shelves and I spotted the dreaded small glass animal tanks at the back. :( I'll be inspecting the animals when they open for business and making sure they are well catered for.

rhona
07-28-2006, 09:33 AM
I should edit that first post to say NO PET SHOPS SHOULD SELL ANIMALS!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

souffle
07-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Your cousin must really have taken incredible care of him for him to have survived from two and a half weeks. Very few babies would have survived away from mum at that age. No resposible breeder would supply animals of that age to a pet shop. I believe that hamsters should be a least 6wks before being sent to a pet shop. Maybe he was the runt of the litter. We find that the runt can be the fiestiest one and outlive all the others in the end. Glad to hear he is doing well and I'm sure you will take great care of him. Lots of protein and tasty porridge will see him shooting up no doubt! I think that as long as a pet shop is responsible and cares for the welfare of the animals then they should be able to sell animals. Many people would not be able to get hamsters and other pets otherwise and that would be sad for them. If when you visit the shop you have any concerns I would definitly report them for inspection by the SSPCA.

SnuggleHam
07-28-2006, 12:47 PM
*Shakes head in disgust!* It is true, some pet shops shouldn't be selling animals if they don’t now enough about how to care for them. Depending on where you live you may wanted to contact your local ASPCA or animal welfare origination to find out how you could report this particular pet shop. I know that states and provinces have their own rules and regulations for business establishments (including pet shops) and there may be a way to have someone investigate the store on a random visit.

rhona
07-28-2006, 01:24 PM
they keep babies in the front shop, even pinkies :evil: poor mums seem so stressed. My cousin said she went back in the shop a few days later for shavings and mum was lying dead in the stupid tank style things they use! :cry:

souffle
07-28-2006, 03:40 PM
That is dreadful. I would definitely say that is against the Animal Welfare Act. If you can get pictures or arrange for a SSPCA officer to visit I am sure something would be done.

babyboos
07-28-2006, 06:45 PM
The local council should be informed and the SSPCA - it can be done anonymously if you prefer, but it really should be done.

rhona
07-29-2006, 03:54 AM
I'm actually quite proud of my little cousin, she's 15 and not brightest match in the box.....but she phoned last night to check on her and I asked her what she's had been feeding her on. She has been giving the little one baby formula mixed in with emp or porridge :o so no wonder the little one is still alive and getting VERY fat :lol:

babyboos
07-29-2006, 04:16 AM
What is emp?

rhona
07-29-2006, 04:57 AM
it's a high protien egg food for hand rearing chicks (I use it for young or sick rats)