PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

Elaine67
07-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Hi,

I've just had quick look at this site and see it's going to take a while to read through because there's a lot of information here! I was given the address today by Babyboos and (always wanting to expand my knowledge of those facinating little pets) I thought I'd take a look. I never know what to write in introductions like these, and always feel I've fluffed the whole thing - but here goes!

I'm married with 4 children, 2 boys (aged 8 & 9) & 2 girls (aged 7 & 2). My younger son is the resident hammy fanatic. We've had 2 Syrians. Our last, Snowy Elf, died just over a month ago... :(

Even though the cage is scrubbed and stripped down I can't seem to put it away, out of sight. It's strange the hold such a small creature can have on a family. We have a beautiful Samoyed dog and a pair of so-cute guinea pigs, but some how it's not the same without that palmful of love. :cry:

If you recognise me from other forums then you already know I'm looking for hammy number 3 but because I'm trying to avoid pet shops this time I'm finding it harder. My son and I are happy to wait. We're learning lots and speaking as a Mum it's nice to have something to share with him. :)

I'm looking forward to 'meeting' you all

Best wishes
Elaine :D

SnuggleHam
07-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Hello Elaine and Welcome!

Glad you were able to make it over here to HC! I'm sure you will like the community here, everyone is very nice! I think it's great to have pets in the family and to introduce children to the responsibly of taking care of a pet or in your case pets! I will definitely always have animals in my life!

We do have a fair bit of information but are always looking for more articles and what not. Please don't be shy about creating a profile if you haven't already!

Adopting a hamster or buying one from a breeder is a good idea. I'm not sure I'll ever buy from a pet store again. I just got my new Syrian hamster Gwendolyn from a person who couldn't keep her any longer. I found my ham on a website called CraigsList. I posted a want ad for a hamster. You should take a look, it's for all around the world and it's free.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/about/cities.html

Find an area near you and look under pets and post a want ad, or keep a look out for hamster adoption ads. Just a suggestion!
:D

babyboos
07-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Hello Elaine
so glad you could join us
I was very sorry to hear about Elf
Your words are very true - it is amazing how these amazing little balls of fluff can bury such a deep hole in our hearts

Where are you located Elaine I may be able to help locate a rescue centre or hobby breeder close by.

Elaine67
07-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi Babyboos,

Thanks for the offer of help. I'm in Coventry, England (thought it was on my sidy-bit with my name - I've probably forgotten :roll: ).

Other sites have told me that I'm in a bit of a dry spot hammy-wise. Even the small pet shop I visit occasionally (oldfashioned family business, been there for years and always put the animal first) admitted they get theirs from a supplier outside the city (and that they hadn't got any when I visited :!: . ..I phoned the local RSPCA - no luck and they don't take details for small animals so I'll have to keep phoning :roll:

If I had the time and space I'd start breeding Hamsters - there's clearly a shortage here lol! The main problem is (based on playground chat with Mums) that people expect to go to a pet shop like Pets At Home or similar. Many people associate smaller species (Hamsters, Gerbils, Guinea Pigs, Rabbits etc) with children and even though they are absolutely spot on care wise of the animals they get, seem to prefer the convienience of a pet supermarket where (I think) they also believe (thanks to clever marketing) that they're doing the best by the animal.

...I'd make my life a lot easier if I felt the same :?

BW's
Elaine :D

babyboos
07-24-2006, 04:11 AM
Coventry hmmm.... will ask around and let you know.

souffle
07-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Welcome Elaine and great to have you with us. I too am a mum and my daughter and I breed the very occasional litter of hammies bred for temperament as well as show. We tame our babies very young and many have gone to nurseries and handicapped or disabled people. That said we have no litters at the moment. We are near Huddersfield which is not so far from you. There is a show at Emly near Wakefield on 5th August and there are often breeders selling babies at these shows. That one is a big agricultural show and a lovely family day out too. I also know of one who took on a rescue pregnant female and she has banded sables I think ready in about 4 wks. I also know a good breeder in Manchester and most of the Northern Hamster Club Breeders so I am sure we could find you something you like. You can PM me for details if you like. I am sorry about your loss and I know only too well the pain. I hope after the loss you feel you can give a home to a little one in need. In the Midlands peiple are having trouble selling hamsters so there are loads about so it must be regional.

pophammy
07-27-2006, 03:37 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum! You have a samoyed? I always think those dogs look like big wooly polar bears! Hope to see some pics of him/her!