PDA

View Full Version : anyone got any ideas how to make a

roboticnat
08-01-2010, 11:21 AM
hamster diggint tower
thinking of making one cuz i'm bored and need something to do lol
but
would the hamster use it?
i was thinking using a tissue box standing it up on the end and cuttiong the top off and the front and reattacjhing clingfilm or a sandwich bag over the front so you can see into it
then a hole in the bottom for them to get out of ofc
anyone reckon it'll work?

SnickersTheFirst
08-01-2010, 11:25 AM
You could use the box like you said but I wouldn't reccommend the cling film or bag as the hamster can digest it and become seriously ill.

A long box standing upright with a small whole at the bottom could work though, if you fill it with bedding/tissue.

roboticnat
08-01-2010, 11:28 AM
yeah thats what i was worried about with the cling film etc
so i don't know what could be used instead so u can view them digging lol
just don't know hwo to start lol
i just want to make something fun for her lmao

SnickersTheFirst
08-01-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm sure we could think of something else to use as a window?

I know someone made a digging tower a while ago out of lego with a transparent window, I'll see if I can find the thread again for you :)

SnickersTheFirst
08-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Here: http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/8340-homemade-digging-tower.html

Not sure if it's any use, as you'll need to buy all the seperate bits but I thought it looked great! :D

roboticnat
08-01-2010, 11:41 AM
yeaah i saw that too
just wondered if it was possible without the lego or duplo lol
with just something lieing around the house

SnickersTheFirst
08-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah I see what you mean, but I'm afraid I have run out of ideas :/

I'm sure someone else will be able to help you though :)

wofunny
08-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Do you have Jenga? :L

SnickersTheFirst
08-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Haha :) As you see Wofuny is our 'Hammy DIY toy expert' :)

I'm guessing it's you that made those jenga toys a while back, the climbing wall etc.? :P

wofunny
08-01-2010, 12:54 PM
not that long ago, about a month :)

SnickersTheFirst
08-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Really!? Time goes so fast :D

wofunny
08-01-2010, 12:57 PM
it sure does :)

princess-rhi89
08-01-2010, 02:53 PM
You could maybe use a tallish plastic food container and cut a whole out at the bottom so she can get in and out and if its clear plastic you will be able to see her :D

roboticnat
08-01-2010, 03:06 PM
i do not =[
i don't think so anyway
my mom may have some stuff like it
she has lots of crafty stuff lol

princess-rhi89
08-01-2010, 03:08 PM
lol always worth a route round the parents kitchen lol

laura
08-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Make sure you don't make it too deep, as I bought one of those digging centre things for hamsters off the internet (you've probably seen them, a big wooden thing with a perspex window and a ladder) and they seriously hated it. Filled it with hay and they couldn't get up the ladders (they were dwarfs though, so maybe that was why) and when I popped one of them in he just kinda sunk to the bottom and freaked out. Couldn't find his way out the poor guy and didn't do much digging. I guess a home-made one might be better though (and maybe it just wasn't just to his personal taste)! Maybe you could salvage a wooden box or something but take a side off and make groves so you could just slide a piece of perspex/see through plastic down? A long piece of wood or mdf in a sock (clean!) would make him a little ladder too and he could cling on easily.

Mine didn't really appreciate the digging box thing, but I guess all hammys are different!

Hope
08-06-2010, 01:46 AM
Hay shouldnt be used for hammies Laura, as its sharp and can damage them if they pouch it, as you have found out its not good for digging in either!! Try with some pet safe sawdust or megezorb. This should be easier for them to tunnel and dig in. My dwarf doesnt understand the ladder either so I have to help him get up and down but he likes to go in at the bottom and dig his way up to the top!! :-) Its very cute when he pokes his whiskery nose out and he is all covered in sawdust!! He loves it though!! I certainly recomend then for dwarfs :-)