PDA

View Full Version : Please welcome Harvey

flogging_molly
07-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Yeah I have a new edition to my furry critters a Chinese male (normal) called Harvey.

I'm pretty savvy with Campbells and Winter Whites but wondered about him. He was on his own in the pet shop and I have read that it's quite difficult to pair them up if they haven't been litter mates. Is this true?

SnuggleHam
07-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Welcome Harvey.. do you have pictures of him? Wish I could help with your question.. but I don't know much about chinese hams. I do know they are communal, but then it seems it can be hard to pair up any species of dwarf hamster when they are full grown and have lived a single life.

red_hot_chili_peppers
07-15-2006, 04:33 PM
hmm well, I do put mine together as long as they aren't older than about 10 weeks. So I could put 2 together if they were about 2 months potentially. If he is quite young I may possibly try it, but I don't usually, unless I think they will be ok. They can still start fights though at any time. I would watch them closely. If you haven't heard a Chinese squeak before, it's much higher pitched so you will know if they are fighting from a distance. I would check their tails and lower back, if you do decide to put them together, and eyes, Chinese are quite partial to ripping eyelids etc... :cry:

babyboos
07-18-2006, 07:21 AM
Chinese like humans often get on better with non relations - and Harvey has the added benefit of being male and therefore the potential to pair him up with another is greatly increased. Finding a male from anywhere other than Pets at Home could be your difficulty they are not the most common/popular hamster in Scotland.

I could count on one hand the number of enquiries I receive for them on a yearly basis, and then it is generally from people in Northern England.

I used to breed a few dozen a year, especially when the Dominant Spot appeared but space and time restrictions meant I had to concentrate on other things, and sadly my Chinese, Campbells and Roborovski numbers have dwindled... though certain parties keep offering me beautiful Campbells and I find myself drawn back to them.

I remember having 5 colonies of Chinese at one time... they are a sure fire way to win a rosette at Show as not many breeders have them. They have their own Class within the Dwarf Section, though not technically a true dwarf hamster.
I love their clingy feet, and comando way of moving around - like a flat shuffle acroos the floor. They are very curious little creatures and don't like open ladders, preferring to walk over solid surfaces. Most amusing and peculiar.
Welcome Harvey, and I hope to see you soon.

pophammy
07-27-2006, 04:43 AM
Welcome Harvey! Hope to see some pictures of him!

red_hot_chili_peppers
07-27-2006, 07:08 AM
I haven't got so many Chinese anymore. I think I have 2 pregnant and 2 x 13 days old. I used to have a really nice line of them which won quite a few BIS... good luck with him :)

babyboos
07-28-2006, 06:50 PM
How is Harvey getting on?