PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe for a while?

Knockturn
07-24-2010, 07:22 PM
I have three campbells and today I got two pet rats. Well I put the boys in their cage then a short while later they figured out they could fit through the bars. I thought they were already too big for this but apparently not. Hopefully in a week they wont be able to manage this anymore but for now they can squeeze.

I put the two rats in with my campbells hamsters for the time being since thats the best cage to keep them in. The rats are about the same size as the largest hamster. So far there has been no problems, a few squeaks but mostly from the rats. In fact the two rats have taken a shining to my smallest female and they are currently curled up in the corner with her. Earlier they curled up with my biggest one and the other female just seems to be contented to stay in a corner and avoid them. They tried to groom her but she walked off.

I am keeping them right by me and keeping a close eye but so far it actually seems like they are all making fast friends. Would it be safe to leave them together until the rats are big enough to go into their own cage?

Rach210
07-25-2010, 12:45 AM
No! Not safe at all! Rats are likely to kill the hamsters, and even if they don't they are likely to injure them by accident just because they are bigger and stronger.

It is never safe to mix different species like that.

shazzy
07-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Oh my god I cant believe what I am reading - this is terribly dangerous and you should remove the hamsters straight away before they get killed. Do you have a starage bin that you could keep your campbells in if you are worried about them escaping?

suga
07-25-2010, 01:12 AM
You definitely need to separate the animals. The campbells will be fine in a plastic bin for the time being. If you don't have one at home you will be able to pick one up at a local supermarket or diy store. Alternatively get yourself along to a pet shop and get a suitable cage - as a temporary measure until you decide how you are going to permanently going to house them.

internet_nobody
07-25-2010, 02:51 AM
I can only echo what others have said. Rats will kill other rodents, and you must get them out of there.

However...I don't think you have rats. Rat kittens by the time they are furry are much bigger than a campbells dwarf, and by the time they'd be ready to be re-homed are bigger than a syrian hamster. Are you sure they're not mice?

HamstersAreHardcore
07-25-2010, 03:01 AM
I am shocked at what im reading !

Get the Cambells out now theyre to small even for a syrian .

Rats will kill any other rodent so if you love your hammys put them in a storage bin / a new cage

Katty_Sheldon
07-25-2010, 04:15 AM
Poor hamsters:/ i hope the original poster reads this ASAP!

shadykkay
07-25-2010, 04:20 AM
omg i have rat and have had then year rat can turn on each other let alone a hamster my 2 rats turned and really tore the othe rat leg off they can kill a lil hammy with one bite

Smysha
07-25-2010, 04:22 AM
Luckily it hasn't even been a day and as the poster said they'd be keeping an eye on them.

*fingers crossed*

Are rats nocturnal also? If so then there might be little that either will be doing during the day if KnockTurn hasn't separated them by now.

shadykkay
07-25-2010, 04:24 AM
they are more sleeply during day but will get up but namily night time the heat will make thm sleepoto

Amethyst_ice
07-25-2010, 04:29 AM
oh my goodneessss!!! No!!

My rats and hamsters are kept in sep rooms AT ALL TIMES,

remove them quickly before you have lots of carnage on your hands!

Gte a plastic storage box and make a bin cage as a temp home for the campbells x

Knockturn
07-25-2010, 09:43 AM
wow, thanks for jumping all over me? I asked a question because I didn't know, there is really no need to be so rude. I came here to ask to find out the information and practically get my throat ripped out. Thanks for those who were nice and helpful I will put the hamsters in a plastic bin until the rats are big enough. However I wont be returning here, I am going to look for perhaps a more friendly forum

suga
07-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Hi Knockturn - glad you have popped back to pick up the replies. Hopefully you will be able to find suitable accommodation for both the hamsters and the rats - separately of course ;-).

shazzy
07-25-2010, 09:57 AM
We weren't being rude to you, it was such a shock to read as we all know how dangerous putting two different species of rodent together is - it will quickly turn into a blood bath and we were trying to get the urgency of the situation accross for the sake of the little ones - it's just experience I suppose

Amethyst_ice
07-25-2010, 10:27 AM
yes, this forum is one of the friendliest i have been on. you just shocked us is all...surely it is a good sisn your post was answered so quickly x

we just advise that people do research into pets befor ethey get them and hamsters and rats can be very agressive. you are lucky it sounds you have kittens.

what cage do you have for your rats?

and some pictures are always liked on here, do stay :) x

HamstersAreHardcore
07-25-2010, 11:19 AM
i agree with amethyst and shazzy

We were just shocked this is a very friendly forum .

Its just we feel you should know not to put another species with a hammy when you buy a pet etc

Lily
07-26-2010, 01:48 AM
This is a very friendly forum, I haven't been on here long but everyone has been pleasant and helpful, you won't find a forum that's completely friendly believe me.

These people care about alot about their hamsters and that's why you may have had a desperate reply, to be honest I blame the pet shops that sold you the hamsters surely they should give you info and also there is alot of info on the net and books to research your hamster and it's requirements before you buy it.

Hope
07-26-2010, 05:31 AM
Hey, just wanted to say that I hope you decide to stay too!!

This is such a wonderful forum and everyone is very friendly, they just wanted what was best for your pets and wanted to help before anything terrible happened!

I hope that you ratties and hammies are all happy and well :-)

SarahJ
07-27-2010, 03:30 AM
Totally agree with what everyone has said, this forum is full of lovely people and the best forum ive been too. questions get answered fast and the people are great.
Ims ure they didnt mean to come across like that but they were just worried about your little ones.

If you stay (which we hope you do) you will see how nice the people are here.