PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic water bottle holder.

spud
07-20-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm thinking of siliconing (aquarium silicone) a strong magnet to a water bottle and attaching it to the glass via another strong magnet to the other side. Do people think this is viable? Is it likely a dwarf hamster will knock it off? I know i will have to silicone the magnet high up on the bottle to prevent the steel ball bearing being attracted to it and draining the bottle.

Thanks,

fluffymunchkins
07-20-2010, 12:30 PM
i think it could work, with a strong magnet!
test it first :)

spud
07-20-2010, 02:26 PM
i think it could work, with a strong magnet!
test it first :)

Thanks mel, im big into DIY. I DIY'd alot for my marine tank, saved a small fortune :)

HamstersAreHardcore
07-29-2010, 03:00 AM
If its a strong magnet i cant see a dwarf knocking it over !

BrainGirl
07-29-2010, 09:42 AM
I'd look for rare-earth magnets. They're the strongest and typically quite small! I remember seeing them in the Lee Valley Tools catalogue but I'm sure you can get them on Ebay or something. Let us know how it goes!

wofunny
09-11-2010, 05:19 AM
yay, i found the thread! :D

i stole your idea, and meade one for my tank! its a tiny bit different to what you were saying but the same concept ;)

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy316/Wofunny/DSC_0430-2.jpg

mangoandmimi
09-11-2010, 02:38 PM
i wish i was into diy. i wish i could think of good ideas like that lol. its a really good idea if you gotta tank and yeah i think it'll work with a strong magnets :) goodluck would luv to see how you do it :)