PDA

View Full Version : old boy help please!

rhona
04-11-2006, 12:32 PM
my hamster Fudge is approx 3 years old - (unsure of his age as he is a rescue) - over last few months he has become lazier than usual so I put it down to old age but now it seems that he is not eating :( I just changed his bedding and almost all his food was stored there. Last time I had him at the vet I asked it was normal for him to be loosing weight and he said it's just old age but I am wondering can I suppliment his diet in any way??

souffle
04-12-2006, 04:11 AM
He is a great age Rhona. Very few hamster get to three. They do tend to lose weight and wee and drink more. If they are not doing an awful lot they dont need so much food either. If his teeth are getting a bit long he may have difficulty eating so you could check these. Spoiling him with easy to eat food in his twilight years seems to help we find. We give the oldies a warm porridge made with ready brek, wheatgerm and milk and a little baby food is also appreciated. Chicken, tofu and fresh veg are good too in small quantities. I hope he is happy pottering along and giving you lots of pleasure for a while to come :lol:

rhona
04-12-2006, 06:04 AM
he was eating emp but now he has even went off that my poor old man :(

souffle
04-12-2006, 07:00 AM
Sorry he is right off his food Rhona. It may be just that his time for the bridge is drawing near. Sometimes they just slow right down and just let themselves gently go. If he seems to be in pain or in anyway uncomfortable the greatest gift you can give him is a quick and gentle passage but you will know when that time comes if it does and I hope you have the love to see it if it comes to that. Lots of peace and gentle talk and cuddles if he wants them will let him know you care. Heres hoping he brightens up a bit .

rhona
04-12-2006, 07:22 AM
thanks so much for your replies I guess all I can do now is spoil him until it's time!

rhona
04-12-2006, 12:12 PM
what is wheatgerm?? and where can I get it?? :oops:

souffle
04-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Wheatgerm is like a very nutritious part of the wheat seed. It has oil and protein in it and our hams seem to like it. I got mine in Sainsbury's in the breakfast cereal section near the oatmeal & stuff. Some supermarkets have it in the organic food dept and most health food shops will stock it. We raise our babies on it!

rhona
04-13-2006, 01:42 AM
thanks!!

he never ate his porridge last night! all he did was put some dry food in it and two treats I left out for him (think he has lost the plot! )

babyboos
04-17-2006, 12:01 PM
What a silly boy :wink: Does he like baby food - have you tried giving him baby food? My very young hamsters all get it and sometimes as a treat I give some to the "golden oldies" (My ancient Syrians) I have a rapidly ageing hamster population just now but that is because I take in so many unwanted hamsters who never find a new forever home elsewhere, and I don't breed many hamster babies myself anymore - I have to find homes for too many pregnant rescue hamster babies to justify it sadly, but finally I have planned a litter for next month due to demand. Hope all goes well and everyone ends up happy.

Babies are great but there is something very special about having an older hamster in your life, and their relatively short lifespans still upset me, even though thankfully hamsters seem to be lviing longer and longer. No matter far away the day is when it comes - it hurts just as bad as them going suddenly. Personally though I hate the waiting when you can see they are starting to really slow down and you know it will be sometimes soon.

rhona
04-17-2006, 12:32 PM
he will eat baby food sometimes! he had a little warm emp and tuna last night ( kept a little back from the greedy rats!) he enjoyed that but he is braking my heart i wish i help him he seems soooo different from my special wee boy he once was. he has definetly lost his spark and passion fro things! :cry: