PDA

View Full Version : :( what happened?

Kait
03-23-2006, 04:56 PM
I came home from class today, and my hamster woke up to greet me as she always does as soon as I walk in the room. she gets up out of bed, and starts climbing her cage waiting to be picked up. I took her out and held her for a bit, but Ii noticed she wasn't quite as active as she usually is. she usually is climbing all over me. I put her back in her cage, not thinking anything of it, and she went into her cage's little apartment and looked to be eating. all the sudden I heard a little crash, and I looked over and she had fell onto her side, her legs were sticking straight out and she was gasping for air. she was gasping so hard that I could hear every breath, and her mouth was open so wide.. I had never seen anything like it. her eyes started bulging out (normally she doesn't even have her eyes open) and she kept on gasping.. her mouth would open wide and she'd let out a gasp.. then it would close and she would do it again, meanwhile her one eye was sticking out so far, it looked as though it was filling with blood. Finally she stopped and she was completely still. I picked her up and she was not breathing at all. I was freaking out and called my parents, and as I was on the phone with them, I gave her a little squeeze. She had to have not been breathing for about 2 minutes by this time.. when she started to slowly breath again. I put her back in her cage, thinking she would want to go some place alone. For the past hour or so she's been very still.. when she tries to move she just falls over. Every so often she'll start shaking really badly.. but I have the heater on. She's not very responsive.. but she is still breathing.

Does anyone know what could have happened? she seemed fine, and them boom. is there anything I can do for her? I gave her a little piece of lettuce and she ate it very slowly.

Also.. I tried picking her up out of her cage to hold her, because she was shaking and has always liked being held. but this time she bit me so hard, my finger is swelling up. :(

SnuggleHam
03-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Kait, I’m so sorry to hear about your hamster.. I wonder if she was possibly choking on something? perhaps a heart attack or stroke.. it kind of sounds like it may have been some sort of seizure. I wish I could diagnose the cause for you, but that would best be done by a vet. HC has more experienced people with hamsters, that may have a better idea.

Do you know how old your hamster is?

In the mean time.. keeping her warm and in a quite dark place is the best thing you can do.

Kait
03-23-2006, 10:08 PM
She is only a year and a month old, but she is also a dwarf, and i've assumed that she's had diabetes for a while (from the amount of water she drinks and the amount she goes to the washroom)

She seems to be doing better now. I really don't know how she is still alive.. it was the most disturbing thing I have ever seen. She's really slow right now, and doesn't have much strength. I was thinking that if she was choking on something, she would probably be better by now. Which is kind of leaving me to think that it was a heart attack.. by the way she was gasping so hard for air. After it happened, she layed in my hands for a good two minutes, with her mouth hanging wide open and her eyes bulging out of her head, and she didn't seem to be breathing at all. I thought for sure she had died. hopefully she continues to get better, but I guess something like this happening isn't a very good sign of what's to come.

lizzer
03-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Hi Kait,

I'm new to this forum, although I've been lurking for a while I've never posted. I saw your message and had to respond.

So sorry about your little one. :cry:

You said you think she's diabetic because she drinks a lot of water and outputs a lot also. I just lost a diabetic dwarf last month. His name was Rocky. I'm still upset about it. :cry: I worked really hard at trying to get him better. I had him on a special diet and glucose lowering supplements. I took him to the vet and she confirmed that he had diabetes, but also a urinary tract infection and gland infection. So he was also on anitbiotics. He got much much better than he'd been in months. He used to be very lethargic, and he started running on his wheel every night like when he was a pup. It was so obvious he felt better. I took him to the vet for a follow-up and she told me his glucose readings were normal. I was so happy I was beside myself. Took him home and that night he passed. :cry:

It looked to be a heart attack. That night I had given him his medicine via syringe, which always stressed him a bit. I cuddled him a bit then put him back in his cage and he went right over to his covey and laid down on his side with his feet out like you described your little one. I thought it was a bit odd, but figured he was just sleepy. I saw he was still breathing. And left him for the night. I found him the next day in the same position...he'd passed. It devastated me. So sudden and unexpected. He was only 10 months.

With diabetes, there are so many systems that it affects in the body. It breaks down the heart muscle for example. When they pass, it's usually from heart failure or some other organ failure. Have you had your little girl on any special diet? If not, I can help you with that. I've done a lot of research. Also, it really sounds like if she's still alive, that a vet visit would be a good idea. It may be that she has a UTI also. It's hard to say with the water intake.

Please let us know how she's doing. And if you'd like to know more about a diabetic diet.

SnuggleHam
03-24-2006, 08:01 AM
I agree with Lizzer, it sounds like a visit to the vet would be a very good idea. HC has an article on hamsters with Diabetes, you can see the article here..

http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70

Its written by our HC moderator Babyboos, it will probably be very helpful.

souffle
03-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Oh Kait I am so sorry to hear of your experience with your little one and that she is so poorly. I agree that a vets visit would be a good idea. It could be a number of things as the others have said including a stroke. Sometimes with diabetes a build up of toxins can cause fitting. Keep her warm and quiet and see what the vet says. I hope there is something they can do. Thinking of you.

Kait
03-25-2006, 05:50 PM
hey everyone.

thanks so much for your comments.

lizzer..i was about to reply to you about learning more about the diebetic diet.. unfortunately, now it's too late.

hamwich passed away this evening. after her heart attack or stroke.. not sure which it was, i don't think there was anything that a vet could do. she could no longer walk, and completely stopped eating and drinking this morning. i've been holding her in my hands for the past 2 days. i know alot of people say that hamsters like to be alone when they are dieing.. but whenever i'd try to put her back in her cage she would struggle to stay in my hand, so i let her. i fed her tiny pieces of lettuce yesterday (she couldnt eat anything hard) and fed her water myself. today though, she wouldn't take either. her little heart was just giving up on her. i got her this time last year, so she was over a year old, and having diebetes i think contributed to her passing.

i'm going to miss her so much. she lived in 3 different homes with me, and made the best roomate a person could ever ask for. she even came home with me from school every weekend, the dear little thing.

SnuggleHam
03-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Kait, I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your little ham :( *many huggles*

souffle
03-26-2006, 09:46 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss. Hamwich was a dear hamster and she knew she was much loved. RIP Hamwich

mimosaurus
03-26-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that :(

I hate reading about pets passing away, it always makes me tear up.

At least she passed away in your hands - I always think it's a lovely way to end that kind of relationship. I had a guinea pig die in my arms once, and it was so sad, but I felt very lucky to have been with him to the end.

lizzer
03-26-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm really so sorry for your loss. I know how sad you must feel. :cry:

I am glad you were able to hold her for so long. And that she wanted you to hold her while she went. I'm sure she drew comfort from you and felt very loved. That's a nice way to go over to the rainbow bridge.

Rest in Peace little Hamwich.

Say hello to my Rocky when you see him. Play hard and enjoy yourself now that you are over the rainbow bridge where there is only health and happiness.

Kait
03-27-2006, 08:23 PM
thanks so much for the kind words everyone

it has really helped alot *hugs*

pophammy
03-28-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that. R.I.P Hamwich :cry:

07-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi I am new to this .... Just wanted to say we lost our hamster at the end of June ... Was very sad ...
It sounds like your hammy had much the same as Rhubarbie. She squealed then was shaking so much and gasping for breath. It was horrible. This lasted for about an hour. Also out of one eye she had this horrible glue like substance around it.
I still miss her. I think it was possiblibly a heart attack.
I can't say how old she was because we were given her, but we had her for about 8 months. She was fairly big, a Syrian hamster. I would like to know if anyone else can tell me what she died of. Thanks to all ... Nicki

red_hot_chili_peppers
07-22-2006, 05:03 PM
i've never witnessed it, but ive gone in there and had older hammies who've had strokes, ive also had 2 mice have strokes whichrecovered aswell as two hamsters, but usually you cant do much for them, if they are quite bad, if mine have had a stroke/heart attack they have a warm teaspoon of porridge/oatmeal with a small amout of sugar which will increase their energy levels... :)

babyboos
07-25-2006, 02:04 AM
Hello Nicki
I am sorry for your loss Rhubarbie rest in peace little one.
Without a full vet exam/autopsy you may never really know the full reason for your little one's passing. I am sure you did everything for her at the time. Often by the time hamsters show any signs of distress or pain they are too ill for a vet to help. As prey animals they are very, very good at hiding discomfort as any sign of weakness in the wild would make them more attractive to predators. If we catch the signs quick enough an emergency vet visit can sometimes help prolong life. Injections of fluids and pain relief are possible, as well as heart medications etc. More often though the vet can help them pass more painless, via euthanasia.
I hope you will find a place in your heart, both of you, to love another small furry in the future.
Please leave a little Introduction to yourself Nicki in the Introductions Section (http://www.hamstercentral.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2) if you can.
Welcome to Hamster Central. Hope to hear from you soon.