PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

peanut25
03-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Is it possible for a hamster to be mentally ill? The reason I ask this is because Butterball seems to be metally ill. She will just sit there and fall over, constantly bump into the same thing for 5 minutes straight until we move her even though she has the run of the house and she will pee where she sleeps and no where else. I got her a flat rock to hold her wheel down as well as for her to file her nails down and she has chewed on it and broken both teeth. I took it out so she would hurt herself anymore.

She is such a sweety but I think something is wrong with her. I have had her since she was born so I know the care and everything else that she received. I brought her to the vet and he said she was fine but just slow. I have never heard of this. Has anyone else?

souffle
03-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Has she always been like this or is it a recent development Peanut. Any change in behavior in an animal can be a sign of illness. It is certainly possible and not uncommon for hamsters to suffer strokes which could explain the symptoms. Many hamsters make a complete recovery given time, rest and warmth. It could be another cause such as a tumour, a hormonal disorder or a toxin she has ingested. If she has always been like this it is probably just the way she was born. Hamsters like humans can have weaknesses and disabilities. Only a vet can diagnose properly and perhaps you should seek another opinion from a vet experienced with small rodents if you are still worried. I hope she gets better soon.

peanut25
03-20-2006, 03:44 AM
She has always been a "little slow" that is why I kept her along with just completely falling in love with her. The vet is a certified vet with exotics. I have always brought the hammies to him along with my parrot. He is very nice and handles the animals without much of a fuss from them. I was just wondering if anyone else had encountered this with a hammy.

I didn't want her going to another home where there was a possibility of someone hurting her because she is different. I absolutely love her. She is one of the nicest hammies I have ever had.

nooboo
03-21-2006, 11:29 AM
i have had a little hamster very much like that, she was the runt of the litter and always shook, i think like all creatures they can be mentally ill, or more likly get mental issues due to dammage, i think in mines case it could have been her being a runt and rough treatment by the rest of the litter and mum when young. it could though have been a genetic thing.

i hope your little one does well. mine died very young just fell asleep and didnt wake up, which does lead me to wvonder if she had something like epilepcy or strokes. we had to be very carful when handling as she just didnt understand edges and would always wobble around like a baby when they first open their eyes. in a way i wish we had actually handled her less we felt it would help but i think it stressed her out more.