PDA

View Full Version : Petsvalley Wooden Cage - wonderful!

Cheeky
05-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Ebay seller Petsvalley has this in their shop listed as a Chinchilla House. They normally sell for about £50 as a buy it now, or you can bid on one of the auctions. This seems to be an item they regularly have in stock.
items - Get great deals on Dog Dryers, Grooming Tables items on eBay.co.uk Shops! (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pets-Valley_Chinchilla-House_W0QQ_fsubZ351638719QQ_sidZ904941669QQ_trksid Zp4634Q2ec0Q2em322)

I can't say enough wonderful things about this cage. After 2 very disappointing experiences with the Zooplus Cages (Rio Rico and Yuma) I was pretty disillusioned with the quality of wood cages available.

This cage knocked my socks off!
The size is excellent! It is comparable to a Hamster Heaven, maybe a bit bigger. The construction is sturdy and well made. All the parts fit together as they should (much more than I can say about the Zooplus cages). My partner and I put it together carefully to make sure it would last, and it took us about 1 1/2 hours to do it. But the assembly was low-stress and the instructions were very clear. All materials are supplied and there was no confusion. The pieces are well-made with no cracks or weaknesses. Once everything is screwed in, it fits together beautifully! The wood is not incredibly thick hardwood, but nor is it flimsy/cheapy plywood. I think it is somewhere in between. The plexiglass panel is thicker than the Zooplus cages and it's even easily removed for replacement over time.

The levels fit in securely and are screwed in permanently. The lid lifts open easily and the pull out tray pulls in and out with no problems. Excellent!!

I am so pleased with this cage. I really can't recommend it enough. I decided not to plastikote it as I like the smell of new wood and Lila is potty trained using her sand box. But it could be easily plastikoted at any stage during construction.

The cage is light enough to move it by yourself if you need to, but it's best to have 2 people for assembly and for lifting just because of the size. I recommend putting something heavyish in front of the pull out tray so a hamster doesn't push the tray out and escape. The fact that the tray is so easy to pull out and clean also means it would be easy for a very determined escape artist. I have a 10 lb hand weight in front of mine to keep it closed (it's sitting on the floor).

I have attached a link to my album with some photos and a short video. To give you an idea of size, Lila is a full grown Syrian and that is a Karlie Wonderland wooden hamster wheel that she is using.

I actually won this cage for £21 (stroke of luck!) so it is definitely worth bidding on before doing the buy it now.

My album: Lila New Cage pictures by fizgig58 - Photobucket (http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/fizgig58/Hamster%20Haven/Lila%20New%20Cage/)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/fizgig58/Hamster%20Haven/Lila%20New%20Cage/002.jpg

Fofinha
05-27-2010, 10:16 PM
It's quite nice. It's not big enough for chinchilla for ok for hamster.

shazzy
05-28-2010, 12:39 AM
Oh wow......now you have seriously tempted me, it looks amazing!!! I have been umming and ahhing about this cage for ages, now need to seriously consider it!

Jesse
05-28-2010, 01:56 AM
That's a really good looking cage. Nice set up Fiz :-D

Iluvhamsters
05-28-2010, 02:25 AM
That looks like a really nice cage :)

Hope
05-28-2010, 02:26 AM
Looks really good and a excellet review Fiz, not sure I can justify another cage . . .

I already ahve 2 spare and a third on the way!!!

Hopefully they will not be spare for long though.

Glad the Lila is enjoying her new des. res!! :-)

annie81
05-28-2010, 08:09 AM
it looks amazing...but same as hope: i cant just buy another cage coz it simple looks amazing...or can i :-D

SammytheSyrian
05-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Living life in America is horrible (Cage wise) 3:

fluffymunchkins
05-28-2010, 08:35 AM
how nice fiz! I'm sure Lila is luuurving it :D

SammytheSyrian
05-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Ive been looking on American ebay they have big chinchilla cages for like 100 dollars >_>

Becca27
05-28-2010, 12:06 PM
oh no, im so tempted, and id just decided which cage to buy and now im loving the look of this one, not sure though cause harleys not exactly toilet trained, but i wouldnt want to plastikote the lovely wood levels :(

Fidgetthefirst
05-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Lovely cage :D I love the wooden stuff it looks awesome - could even be part of the furniture ;)

lovemyhammies
06-19-2010, 01:01 PM
HI,

I love these cages, and have been looking at the ones on zoo plus for a while. However my only worry is that the hamster would just chew the wood and the cage would be a mess within a few weeks, do you find this with your hamster? The base looks like its coated in something? Do you find it easy to clean? I'm debating between this and an ovo system (I have syrians so would be a loft and a suite and a maze) but I have lot of the wooden hamster playgrounds and I want a cage I can fit them into, as my hammies love these.

thanks for the review, and am glad to find a wooden one that is cheaper than the zoo plus ones!

lovemyhammies
06-19-2010, 01:20 PM
hello again,

one more question, what is plasti-kote? Is it so you can paint the wood? would that stop chewing cos my daughter keeps asking for a pink cage but i HATE rotastack ones! So this would be an ideal compromise! Sorry for all the questions, but i've spent a fortune on hamster cages and really want to get it right this time!

thanks!

fluffymunchkins
06-20-2010, 03:55 AM
yes plasticote is to paint the wood and it comes in a range of colours!
Similar to paint but it makes wood waterproof so it can be wiped clean and won't get stained by hammy pee :) Availible at most D.I.Y stores or even on ebay/online

Sorry i don't know anything about this cage but hopefully someone will help soon :D

lovemyhammies
06-20-2010, 04:46 AM
Thanks for your reply, I have just ordered 5 different colours off ebay so the kids can go wild. I think I'll paint the shelves all one colour and the kids can paint the houses how they like. I also did a deal with petsvalley and agreed an affordable price for 2 of the cages and postage (they now put a reserve on auctions, so no chance of winning one at £21!) Still would love to know how Fiz's cage is doing after a bit of hammy use! Also brought a hanging tube to join the 2 top shelves, a hanging nest, some of the wooden bell steps like what fiz has in hers, and a hanging ladder for each of them. Also considering one of the wooden slide thinies by trixie, but might see how much room is in the cages first! I'm very excited!!

Hamtastic
03-25-2011, 04:30 PM
This review is from about a year ago, but I cannot find this cage anywhere. Was this a limited small amount edition sold by this eBay seller, or are these cages produced by a brand I overlooked? If anyone could point me in the direction of this or similar cages, it'd be wonderful!

Gizmodo ^_^
03-26-2011, 02:05 PM
This looks like such a fab cage :D

Hamtastic
03-26-2011, 03:43 PM
I've just learned from the petsvalley seller that a limited number of these cages was imported from China and has since been sold out. He has not restocked them because of low popularity :rolleyes: The seller does not know the brand.

Kristin
03-29-2011, 01:08 AM
Thats a lovely home for any hamster. A bit annoying that they no longer stock these cages, ah well will have to find another
xx

Katarina
03-29-2011, 01:22 AM
what a great cage!!! thanks for sharing!

Hope
03-29-2011, 02:10 AM
Zooplus do a good range of Wooden cages, take a look on their website. One day I would love to have these for my hams, rather then brightly coloured plastic.

Hamtastic
03-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Ohh, yes, those are basically what I was looking for. Quite expensive though, and most importantly, they don't ship to the United States =/ I will keep them in mind for the future.

Pomegranate
03-30-2011, 01:28 AM
I've just learned from the petsvalley seller that a limited number of these cages was imported from China and has since been sold out. He has not restocked them because of low popularity :rolleyes: The seller does not know the brand.

That's such a shame. :( I would've bought one in a second, especially with the quality of the wooden Zooplus cages apparently being a bit iffy.