PDA

View Full Version : Help for my kids hamster, please!

Stacy
02-06-2006, 10:27 AM
My daughter's dwarf hamster is in big trouble. She got two babies (about 6 weeks old) for Christmas and they have been doing very well. Just this morning, one of them has something bloody sticking out of its backside. It is not a baby and the hamster is not looking good. It is breathing hard and is looking very thin. How could this happen so quickly and what can we do to help it. I cannot afford a vet appointment. I have it in a box on soft paper towels and I keep offering it water (which it does seem to want).

Skwee
02-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Sounds like it has prolapsed :( I don't think there is any fix for it either :( but I have to say... vets are a *must* - payment can be paid by installments. It is a risk you take when buying any pet, that it may need help at some point. It will be a long slow death if that hammy doesn't get help and I know you dont want that :( please please please find a way of going to a vet!

babyboos
02-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Stacy I am sorry but as you probably guessed a vet is your best port of call, and really only option. Prolapses, if that is the case can be treated very successfully by vets.

They cannot refuse to treat an animal based on cost, and even if you have to give your little one up for rescue surely this is worth it to help them get well. Contact PDSA or RSPCA for more help, but I would urge you to call a vet tonight, we are fortunate to have 24 hour care available.

souffle
02-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Our vet only costs about £7 for a small animal. Please take it. You must put aside something for such emergencies. Hope he finds relief from the pain soon

Stacy
02-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I did call the vet but it was too late. The hamster died in the late afternoon. I don't think it could have been saved and I made it as comfortable as possible. What causes that to happen? This hamster was spoiled. I kept the cage clean, bought them treats and supervised the kids with them. There is no possible way the hamster was dropped or injured by us. My daughter is very sad. We still have the other one...should I buy him a friend? Thanks again for your help.

Emma
02-07-2006, 10:10 AM
If it was a rectal prolapse, they can happen when the hamster is straining but unable to pass anything - if he was constipated or something was blocking his gut. It can happen sometimes when they eat the fluffy cotton-wool type bedding (widely sold in pet shops but we consider it unsuitable), or for many other possible reasons too. Prolapses can be treated if they are got to early enough, but sometimes the underlying reason is still there so it's not always as straightforward as that.

souffle
02-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your little one. With regard to getting a friend, it can be quite hard sometimes to introduce a strange hamster to one that has always lived with the same partner. There are people on the forum more experienced than me with dwarfs so hopefully they will advise. The one you still have will probably adapt and be quite happy alone. Indeed they often have to live alone if fighting breaks out. You will need to decide if you are prepared to have two cages if you get another and this one will not accept it

Stacy
02-07-2006, 08:24 PM
I did take my daughter to the pet store and get her a new friend for the remaining hamster. The lady at the pet store said it is best to do it right away for the best chance that they'll get along. So she picked a very adorable little dwarf. And, of course, the other hamster doesn't like it. So now, we have two separate hamster cages!! Thats okay, I don't really mind the work involved with them, they are so cute. Luckily, we have a couple extra cages available. Thanks for all the input. :)

souffle
02-08-2006, 01:25 AM
It is still possible. I will ask around some people & see what they advise. Do you know the type of dwarf. Campbells. Roborovski or what?

Stacy
02-08-2006, 06:39 AM
They are both Campbells. The new one is obviously just a baby. It was very submissive when the other one knocked it down. We watched closely to see if they would just establish their order but the older one was relentless and I felt too bad for the new babe. Let me know if there is another solution, I don't want this little one to be scared. The older one is (and has been) very aggressive since we got it and the new one is busy but seems pretty mellow.

babyboos
02-08-2006, 10:38 AM
I would say leave the old boy alone and get a friend for the youngster as soon as you can.

souffle
02-09-2006, 06:21 AM
I have asked around and as Babyboos said better to leave the old one on its own now. Even experienced breeders sometimes find it hard to re-pair dwarfs.

Stacy
02-09-2006, 07:40 PM
I am taking your advice and leaving the old crabby one alone. It is very jittery and tries to scratch me when I feed it by hand. Poor thing seems shaken up. I did get the new one a friend asap from the same store and it is exactly the same size and color...I'm assuming its a sibling. They seem to be getting along just fine. Thanks again!

souffle
02-10-2006, 04:33 AM
It seems that hamsters really do feel the loss of a partner and grieve for it. I hope he settles down soon and feels a bit happiers and tamer. Glad to hear the new pair have settled. Hope they are same sex or you'll end up with babies!

Stacy
02-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Well, we have a new development here. The new ones have started fighting. They were squeaking through the night and now one seems to be trying to dominate the other. Is this normal? Should I just let it play out or do I separate them again???? Two cages I can handle, three is a bit much! I really didn't think we would have a problem because these ones were from the same place and I got them within 24 hours of each other. My goodness!!!!

souffle
02-10-2006, 11:38 AM
I would try and persevere with the new pair. Make sure the cage is big enough for two and that there is two of everything available, two nest boxes, two wheels, two food bowls etc and have plenty hidy holes so they can escape from each other. Deep litter so they can burrow and plenty toilet roll tubes etc so they can be alone if they want to. They can be quite vocal a sqaubelsome but unless they actually draw blood I would keep a close eye on them and see if they get used to each other. If they really do have a go at each other it would be necessary to separate and you could try and rehome one or the pet store may take it back. Good luck

babyboos
02-10-2006, 03:15 PM
this is not unusual behaviour please don't worry

try to rub them together to spread their scent amongst them and help speed up the bonding process

make sure they have a potty as they will pee and bathe in the sand helping to mix their scents

as souffle advises providing two of everything is essential

and make sure you handle both for equal length of time and the bully last

keep an eye on them for actual cuts or gashes, especially around the rear-end

Personalityhamsters
06-04-2006, 10:29 PM
I had 2 fancy blue rats and I went away for a weekend leaving them with my grandpa.. I got a call from him to tell me that his border collie got in the spare room and killed one of my babies.. I was so sad I came home a day earlier from my trip and found Sunflower the one that didn't die sitting in the corner.. I felt bad because they'd been together for a year. A week past and she was eating and drinking but I could tell she was lonely so I waited a few more days and then got another friend for her. She was a blue Dumbo. SO CUTE Anyway she did fine with her, or so I thought. I left the room and came back and she was dead... I'm guessing she missed her sister because she's never been aggressive with anything and it must have been a traumatic experience too, that's why I waited 2 weeks to get another.. But I really don't trust her anymore, although I really do want to get her a friend.. I just couldn't believe what happened... :(