PDA

View Full Version : Stress?

02-04-2006, 12:38 PM
So, I've been considering getting a hamster for a while now, but I have a big problem, or five problems rather: Cats. Specifially, very curious cats who are always snooping around. Now, I understand that the problem of keeping them apart can easily be solved, but what I'm worried about is stress on both parts: for the cats, the stress of having prey they can't get to, and for the hamster, the stress of always being stalked by cats. Will this put a lot of stress on both animals, because I couldn't do that to any of the animals, or will it be a relatively minor issue?

-Greg

souffle
02-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Well greg, we have 2 cats and 2 hamsters. We have no problem with them and they don't appear to suffer any stress. One cat likes to sit and stare at the hams and the other is totally not interested. In fact she accepts them so well that she will let them sit on her. They quickly become used to each other and the hamsters don't appear to see the cats as any danger. I would definatly reccomend you have a tank type cage such as a Gabber or Duna which only have bars at the top. That way the cats are not able to get their claws through to the hamsters. Make sure also that your cage is on a stable surface where it cannot be knocked over just in case a cat got in to the room where the hamsters are. Cats quickly accept the cage as 'part of the furniture' and wil probably ignore them quickly. Just be sure you keep the cage door well secured and I don't see any problems

Hope to see some pics of your hams soon!

babyboos
02-05-2006, 04:33 PM
I have a cat and lots of hamsters and to be honest the cat pretty much ignores them, unless one gets free and then she acts as a great warning device telling us where they are hiding but never, ever making any attempt to attack them, even when they steel her cat food :?