PDA

View Full Version : Making a Savic Rolly less noisy

Cheeky
04-23-2010, 02:06 AM
Not sure if this is the right place for this! But I got fed up with our new Savic Rolly going thump-thump-thump. I squeezed the tip of the plastic spindle so it could be removed from the wheel and added a metal washer onto the spindle before I slid the wheel itself back on. The thumping is caused largely from the wheel sliding around on the spindle, so the closer you can get the thickness of the washer to the size of the actual gap, the quieter the wheel will become. You can also add one small wrap of painter's tape around the spindle at the very back of the wheel area, since some thumping is also caused by the edge of the hollow hole of the wheel clicking against the plastic spindle as the hamster's weight shifts. This hasn't made our wheel silent but it's made it much better and at least it's tolerable now.

souffle
04-23-2010, 03:35 AM
Great idea Fiz. You are very good at finding wheel problem solutions you know :)

Cheeky
04-23-2010, 08:06 AM
It's because my hamsters apparently think wheels are actually army tanks and treat them like off-road vehicles!! LOL

Fidgetthefirst
04-23-2010, 08:29 AM
LOL! Army tanks !

fluffymunchkins
04-23-2010, 12:09 PM
i have two savic rollys, so will try this if i use them!

Amethyst_ice
04-24-2010, 04:28 PM
we tried olive oil but indy decided to just not use it...problem solved ;)

Revolver
05-08-2010, 02:55 AM
If you can't get hold of a washer I've found that one of those twisty ties (the sort you used to get with freezer food bags) also works well. The same can be said for a small elastic band or a piece of string looped around the spindle.

That coupled with olive oil is a win win situation. :)

Jesse
05-08-2010, 03:21 AM
I gave up with the Rolley after a week as it just wasn't man enough for a marathon hammy. I used to find it half way across the cage in the morning :rolleyes:

Tish36
05-08-2010, 03:29 AM
Is there anyway you can post pics of this please Fiz?

I'd like to try this with my Rollys but am not exactly sure what to do.

Sorry to trouble you :)