PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Tubes- Help a 22 year old out!

Amethyst_ice
04-01-2010, 05:30 AM
Right so I finally got the new lil guy (we're getting very close for a name now we have him home!) a cage. I won what I think is 3 storey Fantazia cage..got another thrown in because the owner wanted rid but its much to small so will freecycle it.

I have always been a traditional wire cage person but the only cages finishing when we were travelling home were this one.

He is currently in a very small cage i got from freecycle and I added a puzzle playground to it last night which he loved (and i do too..apart from the fiddlyness of it and the price!)- still very jumpy and shy though..totally differnt to my other 3 hammies- its gonna take time :(

Anyway, I got the fantazia with the idea of joining it to his current cage so he has bars to climb. Have been reading all the forums but still feel clueless. The tubes on ebay are going for over £15! I don't want a massive tube system cos im scared of him getting stuck etc. Also not amused the cage is pink lol but hey..im doing my best.

This is his current cage-
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs478.snc3/26203_676023538485_223407998_11823780_7297340_n.jp g

This is the new cage-

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs478.ash1/26203_676023543475_223407998_11823781_8294517_n.jp g

This is where i thought it would be easy to connect from-

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs478.snc3/26203_676023548465_223407998_11823782_1155256_n.jp g

And this is where i want to connect to on wire cage-

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs478.ash1/26203_676023553455_223407998_11823783_1878862_n.jp g

I asked in P@H where you can buy the square shaped connecters with the hole in the middle but they said i would have to buy the £39.99 cage for it!!!

Just please help, my budget is pretty non existant for cage stuff, just not sure how to connect and don't want to start cutting away!

Thanks guys as always in advance :) xxxx

Hope
04-01-2010, 05:36 AM
Ok this may be a silly idea and dismiss if no good - but what about soldering a hole through the plastic base in the original cage - this may be easier to do than cutting the wire? Also you can make the hole the size you want. A seller on ebay is selling crittertrail tubes really cheaply - Hold on I will find a link

*SEARCHING EBAY!*

Mini CRITTERTRAIL VALUE PACK , 9.5INCH AND 5INCH TUBES on eBay (end time 26-Apr-10 21:43:35 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-CRITTERTRAIL-VALUE-PACK-9-5INCH-AND-5INCH-TUBES_W0QQitemZ250570254211QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_P et_Supplies_Small_Animals?hash=item3a5726a783)

Not sure if these will fit into the pink cage though?

Amethyst_ice
04-01-2010, 05:40 AM
I saw that but the same item on another listing said they were dwarf size and their syrian had no chance of fitting in them!

We did think about about cutting into the base but thought the bars may be easier..

I found this Small Pet Tubes : X-PART Ferplast Network Attatchment : www.EquineCanineFeline.com the place to buy all your Pet Products, Horse Products and Pet Supplies online (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/x-part-ferplast-network-attatchment.html)

wondered if that is what i would use and they have a pack of 5 tubes for £2.99..just completely noob to all these tubes lol x

Hope
04-01-2010, 05:45 AM
Ah yeh - Sorry it does say mini - I missed that bit!

The ferplast attachments looks good though :-)

fluffymunchkins
04-01-2010, 05:46 AM
i've recently connected two wire caes and its a lot esier than you think. All i did was buy some ferplast end caps which have hooks to fix onto the bars. Then get some good wire cutters and cut a hole for them.
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/5513-how-connect-cages-tubes.html
see this thread or my thread 'porridges extended cage'

fluffymunchkins
04-01-2010, 05:47 AM
lokks like you found what i am on about

Amethyst_ice
04-01-2010, 05:48 AM
Its ok, i saw them and thought, whooop!!!

How about these as tubes-

Small Pet Tubes : CritterTrail Fun-nels Tubes & Tunnels Expansion Pack : www.EquineCanineFeline.com the place to buy all your Pet Products, Horse Products and Pet Supplies online (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/crittertrail-fun-nels-tube-expansion-pack-3.html)

and the connecter if i cut the wires..???

fluffymunchkins
04-01-2010, 05:51 AM
i'm not sure whether the connecter will hold the tubes in place? I only know that savic and ferplast tubes are compatible.
But apart from that it sounds good :)

Amethyst_ice
04-01-2010, 05:52 AM
i've recently connected two wire caes and its a lot esier than you think. All i did was buy some ferplast end caps which have hooks to fix onto the bars. Then get some good wire cutters and cut a hole for them.
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/5513-how-connect-cages-tubes.html
see this thread or my thread 'porridges extended cage'

I read this just wasn't sure what i had it would all work..im paranoid of cutting away and then messing it up..also have no idea about tube sizes and connecter things etc, but if wveryone thinks those are the right sort of prices etc

louise_81
04-02-2010, 03:50 AM
Please dont' freecycle the small cage, some poor hamster will end up living his life in it. As you havn't posted pics of the smaller cage, we know know how small it is, and wether this is the case, but please think before you do anything with it.

Maybe you could put it up on here for someone to pay postage to use when building bin cages? I am sure the sides would be great to cover holes in the bin cages with :D

fluffymunchkins
04-02-2010, 04:19 AM
Please dont' freecycle the small cage, some poor hamster will end up living his life in it. As you havn't posted pics of the smaller cage, we know know how small it is, and wether this is the case, but please think before you do anything with it.

Maybe you could put it up on here for someone to pay postage to use when building bin cages? I am sure the sides would be great to cover holes in the bin cages with :D

Thats a really good point actually!
I don't know whether you've considered making a bin cage your self and it may be useful to keep it just in case :)
Or it will make a good hospital cage, vet carrier cage or maybe even just when your cleaning his out.

louise_81
04-02-2010, 04:43 AM
I have a critacete (?) 9 which is a tiny cage but great to clean out the hammies with :)

Amethyst_ice
04-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Oh crikey u lot lay off please! The cage that u can see that the new hammy is in curently is a cage i got from freecycle and i would call it small...this new cage i have is a old and i was going to advertise it as a temp/incubation cage on freecycle.. i don't want to make a bin cage.. the whole point of me starting this thread was because i want to connect the two cages shown in the pics so he can have some climbing space!

There is a shelf in the 'freecycle' cage i may use myself but if i keep another cage ill be tempted to get another hammy!

It had been on ebay and didn't sell.

I put my hammies in their balls when i clean them out.

but back to topic..would those tubes fit the connecter? ;)

suga
04-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Amethyst ice - i have no idea about the connectors and if they would work. Its a good idea to connect the cages but i have zip skill in this sort of thing. I hope you can work it out so that it all fits together.

Sammybingo
04-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Hello! I don't know where you live, and I can't afford to post them (hence I've not put it on here), but I have a ton of Rotostak free to a good home if you are interested? I'm in Manchester. It's basically a pink palace or something, looooooots of tunnels. x

Flissy
04-02-2010, 01:51 PM
You can buy the yellow savic square connector parts at pets at home as mine broke so I ordered some new ones through them :P They were 80p each :)

Amethyst_ice
04-02-2010, 02:59 PM
You can buy the yellow savic square connector parts at pets at home as mine broke so I ordered some new ones through them :P They were 80p each :)

No way?!! I asked them few weeks ago and they said id have to buy a new cage with them one! I just got a furplast one from equine feline for £1.50 grrr

and sammybingo..dont think rotastack fit onto crittertrail do they? Im in brum thanks all the same though chick :)

just ordered a ferplast connecter, 5 crittertrail tubes and a hammock so hopefully GIZMO (we've decided on that even though we loved Fieval and pickles) wil have an awesome pink cage lol

xXx

Teddy
04-03-2010, 11:49 AM
I like the 3 storey fantazia on its own. It looks like he's got loads of room in it already :)

Amethyst_ice
04-04-2010, 04:23 AM
I like the 3 storey fantazia on its own. It looks like he's got loads of room in it already :)

yeh i was pleasently suprised by it :) but he seems to like monkey barring..well he would if he was a little bigger he's still a baby bless! so i want to connect the bar cage there for him :)

I spoil my hammies too much..just wish the fantazia was the blue kind, the pink is quite toxic looking with his neon green ball!!! He had to have green cos my others have all the other colours hehe

xXx

Gillzy
01-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Hello, I just signed up because I noticed you have the exact same cage (the Fantazia) as me and wished to do the exact same thing as me (connect to a barred cage), as I feel that the Fantazia is slightly too small for my fat little syrian, Sen. I wondered what your final solution was?

I was thinking that with the second level and the top of my other cage being roughly the same height that I could make use of the cage door that is in the top of my other cage (I'd rather not have to destroy the other cage if I can). So I wondered if you managed to get any tubes to connect into the fantazia cage? Then I could just buy lots of them, and then guide them down through the hole in the top, and put some form of cover over the remaining hole (I was thinking cardboard because by the time Sen gets up to the middle of the roof, she wouldn't be able to chew at it... would she?).

Anyway, I'm keen to know! :)

Hope
01-25-2011, 04:13 AM
Hi Gillzy, Welcome :D

Amethyst isnt able to check the forum regulary at the moment, but she did do a thread about the extention here: http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/8174-gizmos-new-extension-finally.html

Hope this helps :)

Gillzy
01-25-2011, 05:12 AM
That's great, thanks!! :D

Amy313
11-05-2014, 02:00 AM
:grin: Amythest_Ice: Thanks for posting that awesome website in the U.K.!!! They have loads of great hamster stuff for decent American dollar prices. Even wooden toys, etc... that I can't seem to find here in the U.S. Although the shipping cost is going to really hurt! But they seem to have the type of wire cages I was looking for! The tubing is another matter. It seems no matter what country- tubing is expensive and mostly sold by individual piece. Unless you can find a "used" set on Ebay for cheaper. Thanks for the tip!