PDA

View Full Version : About to give up hope :(

SarahJ
03-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Ive had my Chinese - Monkey - for just over a year now and i just can not seem to tame him :(

I bought another Chinese at the same time and hes lovely and tame but Monkey - all he does is bite me :( and bites so he can hang from my finger!

Ive tryed everything to tame and now im starting to lost hope that i will ever be able to!

is Monkey never going to be tame or is there a different way on taming Chinese's to syrians?

Help please

ms_valentino
03-16-2010, 05:54 AM
Do you hold some food before you hold her? There is alot of ways to do it, you can refer back to other posts. My cousin have winter hamster back in my country and he likes to bites his cage and anything that moves around him.. And until now, my cousin not able to tame her (still can't figure out why) I remember few advice from other post..

Try to rub some of his bedding before hold him, a same scent of the bedding might make him think that you're not a threat for him. a make him realize that you are not edible.
(http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/syrian-hamster/7604-crazy-bite.html) or try to read this http://pic3.piczo.com/custardhamstery/?g=22143831

I don't remember where I read this.. But, I remember putting a hamster inside one room for one day (with water and food) and then you put a tissue inside the cage in next day (of course the tissue paper will have a scent of you) and after awhile try to tame Monkey again... if it failed just do all over again. Just make sure he smells only your scent.

Sorry if my explanation abit weird... Anyway, good luck taming him again.

Hope
03-16-2010, 06:25 AM
ms valentino gave some good advice there, but I think some hammies are just prone to be tamer than others. My dwarf does the same thing - dangle off my finger (this was ok when I had false nails though as he just hung off the extension lol!) but he has only drawn blood once. Sometimes he will be fine with me and others he just nips and bites all the time. What I tend to do is say 'no' firmly and blow on his nose (a tip form the wiki) as he doesn't like this. He is not at all frightened of me though and will come out when I talk to him or he hears me opening the cage, he does not run away if I put my hand in - I think he is just a feisty one!

SarahJ
03-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Thanks Both!
Will try the advise! *Fingers Crossed*

Hope - Your Hamsters sounds like mine, he's never drawn blood but bites enough to hang on to you.

You can see why i called him Monkey! lol

taylr1996
04-11-2010, 04:08 PM
when you pick him up is you hand in the cage ..... because some hamsters think that your hand is invading there space so they try to defend it so what i would do is put his ball in the cage scoop him up then he may be diffrent when he is outside and be a bit nicerr i have heard many stories of this working so give it a go!

hope it works out keep us up to date!

SarahJ
04-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Taylr - Hes fine when hes in his cage - he normal just runs away and hides from me!
He did use to have cage rage but he got over that, thankfuly!

Its just when hes out of the cage he'll be fine for about 10 mins let u handle him, running all over you and then he just turns nasty and anything which gets in his way he will bite!

fluffymunchkins
04-13-2010, 10:32 AM
maybe he just doesn't like to be hadled for long amounts of time.
He may get tired after all the running around, which makes him snappy, just like us :)

suga
04-13-2010, 11:21 AM
I think he is giving you a message to say that 10 mins is his limit. So maybe little and often instead of long periods. Have you tried little and often? Is he okay with that?

SarahJ
04-15-2010, 04:04 AM
i normaly have him out for about 20/30mins a nite but in one go!
I will try just having him out for 10 mins at a time tonight and see if that helps!
Thanks

annie81
04-15-2010, 05:07 AM
good luck...hope that will solve the problem

SarahJ
04-15-2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks Annie

Iluvhamsters
04-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Good luck, I hope he starts to enjoy being out more :)

suga
04-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Hi Sarah - how's it going now?

SarahJ
04-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Well im not getting nipped as hard any more but he's still nipping :(

Think its going to take a while for him getting used to being out for short periods of time! hopefuly not to long though

Iluvhamsters
04-20-2010, 03:21 AM
Awww, I hope he does begin to improve more.

annie81
04-20-2010, 06:02 AM
i hope that too...fingers crossed :-)

Hope
04-20-2010, 06:14 AM
Yeah it will take a while but don'y give up - things are going in the right direction!

chubchub
04-25-2010, 09:42 AM
im sorry to hear that your hamster is still biting you >.<
maybe he doesn't like being held for so long and just wants his alone time when he's out of his cage. just be patient.
good luck !

wofunny
05-05-2010, 12:45 PM
How's it all going? Hopefully well :)

SarahJ
05-06-2010, 07:25 AM
he hasnt really changed tbh, hes still nipping not as much but im not getting him out for long periods of time he come sout for about 15 mins a night and just runs around on the bed as he hates his ball. i worked it out and hes about 18 months old now so i think this is just him and i wont be able to change it but will love him no less.

wofunny
05-13-2010, 05:21 AM
Any better? :) x

eye of the divine
05-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Have you tried wearing thick gloves so that it doesn't pierce your skin?

I have heard that chinese are quite difficult to tame.