PDA

View Full Version : Gerbilarium by pets at home

smiley
02-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Gerbilarium by Pets at Home | Pets at Home (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/gerbilarium-by-pets-at-home-15962)

I suggest that if you are looking to buy this cage, it should only be temporarily, as it is not very big and can be a pain to clean because often the plastic will rip through the bag. I do not think there is enough space for a hamster to have good excercise aswell as lots of toys! Also keeping a hamster in there means less woodshavings so it appears that the hamster does not have much bar space. This cage is not even big enough for the gerbils theirselves, look how much room they have! However the cage has lasted a few years and is still going strong, but having barring on the shelves can cause a poor hamster to get bumblefoot, because they will always be walking on them. The things that come with it are a bowl, a tube and a waterbowl- lets face it, not really worth that price! And the bottle does leak quite a bit and the bowl I find very confusing to put on and it often gets tipped over!

What do you think?

annie81
02-19-2010, 06:10 AM
i agree with you. i have seen them at pets at home stores. they are really not big enough. the top part is pretty useless anyway. i dont think you can even fit a proper sized wheel in there.

my first hamster was in a proper glass terrarium. it was around 80x50x50 so there was enough space. i really liked it because no dirt was getting out and the hamster was protected from noises and cold air (from the window). no bar chewing either ;-) the problem was just that the cage was really heavy and i couldnt lift it up. so you had to get the wood shavings out by scoop and hoover.

Fidgetthefirst
02-19-2010, 08:38 AM
I just looked at some reviews on it, and everyone says its a great cage - it doesnt look that stable to be honest, the bit at the top.

smiley
02-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Its an ok cage for a short time, but definatley not one to keep. It is way to small for a hamster, and when i am going to use it for a month i will be putting cardboard on the shelves because its not great for a hamster to be walking on bars all the time. I would say that the bottom bit is quite stable, but the top bit can be a bit wobbly at times. The reason this cage may appear to be big is because it is quite tall, but really there is not alot of space for a hamster to be a hamster, but it is a ok gerbil cage. :)

Berkana
02-22-2010, 05:38 AM
Ah i hate these too. I've never had one but they look like terrible places to live, and they're SO expensive. If someones wanted something similar I'd suggest getting a normal cage which has connector holes, then buying a burrowing tank... so it looks something like this:

http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/images/ferplastnovyexample.jpg

You could get a Ferplast Criceti 15 which is 78x48x39cm plus a burrowing chamber for £75 inc delivery. This would give them LOADS more room, no nasty bars to have to walk on AND it's cheaper :)

smiley
02-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Ah i hate these too. I've never had one but they look like terrible places to live, and they're SO expensive. If someones wanted something similar I'd suggest getting a normal cage which has connector holes, then buying a burrowing tank... so it looks something like this:

http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/images/ferplastnovyexample.jpg

You could get a Ferplast Criceti 15 which is 78x48x39cm plus a burrowing chamber for £75 inc delivery. This would give them LOADS more room, no nasty bars to have to walk on AND it's cheaper :)

wow :), thats pretty cool :D and yeah they are so expensive for what they are, it makes me angry :evil:

fluffymunchkins
02-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Yh I saw one today, I didn't realize they were that small! There really highly praised for gerbils but personally I'd get one huge glass tank.

loopy_lou
04-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Gerbilarium by Pets at Home | Pets at Home (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/gerbilarium-by-pets-at-home-15962)

I suggest that if you are looking to buy this cage, it should only be temporarily, as it is not very big and can be a pain to clean because often the plastic will rip through the bag. I do not think there is enough space for a hamster to have good excercise aswell as lots of toys! Also keeping a hamster in there means less woodshavings so it appears that the hamster does not have much bar space. This cage is not even big enough for the gerbils theirselves, look how much room they have! However the cage has lasted a few years and is still going strong, but having barring on the shelves can cause a poor hamster to get bumblefoot, because they will always be walking on them. The things that come with it are a bowl, a tube and a waterbowl- lets face it, not really worth that price! And the bottle does leak quite a bit and the bowl I find very confusing to put on and it often gets tipped over!

What do you think?

I thought the same, so because i had 2 gerbilariums, i cut a side off both and made it twice as big, same with 2 tanks i had, i attached them to make it twice as big, also i have a lil carry cage, and a big lunch box as a sandbath. And all of it is connected together :-) and as you can imagine, one big mansion!
I have a video of it on youtube,

nwOkFUrK7FM

What do you think of it? :-)

fluffymunchkins
04-12-2010, 01:03 AM
That looks fab!
Is it for hamsters or gerbils though?
Sorry if that seems stupid to ask but I wasn't sure :)
If it's for gerbils all that plastic is dangerous and will most likely be destroyed by them.
If it's for hamsters then that's no problem

loopy_lou
04-13-2010, 03:11 AM
That looks fab!
Is it for hamsters or gerbils though?
Sorry if that seems stupid to ask but I wasn't sure :)
If it's for gerbils all that plastic is dangerous and will most likely be destroyed by them.
If it's for hamsters then that's no problem

No i haven't got hamsters, its for my gerbil. I only have one now because his brother passed away last year.
The plastics fine for them, ive had plastic cages for 3 years and nothings ever happened to them. :)

Iluvhamsters
04-13-2010, 09:03 AM
It isn't plastic cages that can harm them unless they can chew and potentially swallow any of the plastic. It's things like plastic houses or toys. Gerbils are much worse for chewing things than hamsters, if it's something plastic and they swallow any, it can cause a blockage that can kill them.

loopy_lou
04-14-2010, 04:58 AM
It isn't plastic cages that can harm them unless they can chew and potentially swallow any of the plastic. It's things like plastic houses or toys. Gerbils are much worse for chewing things than hamsters, if it's something plastic and they swallow any, it can cause a blockage that can kill them.

Yes i know, i know everything about gerbils. But its never happened to my gerbils, there happy and healthy and thats all that matters :-)

smiley
04-15-2010, 10:27 AM
the two of them together look much more suitable for gerbils :)

Amelia66
08-11-2010, 08:54 AM
i just want to add to this, i know its a old thread but just to let you all know. My bf had this cage a few months ago with his gerbils in it. They were in there 3 weeks before one of his gerbils got her foot caught in the bars of one of the platforms and was unable to free herself. Luckily i was in the room at the time to free her, but to everyone with a cage like this with a gerbil in [if you have hamsters in there i don't think you would have the same problem as they have smaller free but still] be aware of this problem and regularly check their toes/feet.

love animals
01-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Were do you get a burrowing tank?

SnickersTheFirst
01-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Cages : Ferplast Novy 11 Cage: Burrowing Chamber Hamsters, Mice, Gerbils : www.EquineCanineFeline.com the place to buy all your Pet Products, Horse Products and Pet Supplies online (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/ferplast-novy-cage-burrowing-chamber-hamsters-mice-gerbils-p-2021.html)
Cages : Ferplast Novy 21 Cage: Burrowing Chamber Hamsters, Mice, Gerbils : www.EquineCanineFeline.com the place to buy all your Pet Products, Horse Products and Pet Supplies online (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/ferplast-novy-cage-burrowing-chamber-hamsters-mice-gerbils-p-2022.html)