PDA

View Full Version : Need Your Help

HayleyBrooks
02-18-2010, 04:04 AM
Right I actually posted this just before the database went down, but i'll write it again.
Basically i made Renesmee a cage out of an indoor rabbit cage, but a couple of weeks ago i messed up the wire that i had put in and had to buy her a new cage.
I brought her this one: http://www.petplanet.co.uk/shop_dev/assets/new_product_images/ferplast/8559.jpg
But in orange and blue, and put all her old things in it.
However soon Sakura will grow to big for the cage she is in now and I dont want to spend out more money (ive spent about £400 in total so far) on a new cage, so i was thinking of making one out of a large toy tidy.
So i thought i would ask you experienced lot what to do and what would be good to use for a Syrian hamster. Any info would be great, like how to make levels and tubing and stuff.

Thanks

Hayley xx

souffle
02-18-2010, 04:54 AM
She won't outgrow the duna fun Hayley. It is a great sized cage for an adult syrian :)
If you look on the wiki there are several articles on making bin cages which may help.

fluffymunchkins
02-18-2010, 06:57 AM
If you want a cage thats not expensive, than ebay is your best bet!
I got most of peggys rotastak from ebay cause pet shop prices are so ridiculous these days:(
Even if one cage you find (eg. i found a ferplast laura-£1.50:)) you don't think is quite big enough than its so cheap you can buy another (eg.ferplast paula-£3.50)
I'm always looking for those 0.99 bargains and i've just found one thats in my actual town!
So its well worth a look, but if you don't find anything then a bin cage is your best bet:)

HayleyBrooks
02-18-2010, 01:48 PM
I really fancied making one tho. As i havent done it yet, just wanted your guys help.
And That cage is Renesmee's and i know she wont outgrow it. I was talking about making a cage of Sakura, as she is only in a starter cage

Hayley xx

fluffymunchkins
02-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Thats how i felt when i saw bin cages:)
I just wanted to have a go to see how good they were!
It does feel really rewarding when you've finished and i'll definitely be making more in future.

HayleyBrooks
02-18-2010, 02:05 PM
How did you make yours? xx

allie_freedie
02-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Bin cages are actually quite simple!! My boyfriend did mine for me- (I did start to do it but being the 'man of the house' he had to do it!!!) We bought a big bin from B & Q (£2.50 and its massive) and then he cut a rectangle out of one side using a pen knife, we then sand papered it down to make sure it was safe etc, then he attached an old side of a cage we had which worked perfectly. You can use wire mesh from B&Q as well which works just as well. We have a water bottle that attaches inside, and at the moment we have all her toys and things all on the one level. Hopefully we'll add some levels but you can do it in stages to save time and money etc!! Hope this helps a bit!!! =D

fluffymunchkins
02-18-2010, 02:15 PM
i took the easy route with mine! All i did was draw round the rotastak tube. Then we drilled really small holes around the circle then gradually increased the holes bigger. After there was only a little space between the hole i gota blade and cut the circle out. After i sanded it to make it nice round and smooth
Then all i did was leave the hinged lid half open for ventalation!
Heres a pic you can just about see the 3 straight blue tubes connecting it to the main cage:
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx57/Piggylicious2009/Peggys%20cage/DSCF0163.jpg

HayleyBrooks
02-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Ah thats cool : )
Thanks for your help guys : )
I used the wire meshing from B&Q to line the inside of the indoor rabbit hutch.
£2.50 is great considering in total i've spent £214 on hamster cages! So wish i had known about bin cages, and this site before i went out and spent so much money.

allie_freedie
02-19-2010, 01:39 PM
So wish i had known about bin cages, and this site before i went out and spent so much money.

Tell me about it!!! My hammies definately love their bin cage the best, and they've had 4 cages before that I'd bought that didnt work out!!! Typical!!! lol x

Chinchillin
03-16-2010, 12:34 PM
with my hammys cage, I just gave her a bin cage. What I did was make the actual cage (setup) then I have wire and I used that as a top, and I put books on top of it, and it works fine, she can't escape, and its large and she loves it! :D