PDA

View Full Version : *Emergency thoughts for Phoebe* - she's gone

Emma
12-16-2005, 04:34 AM
Sadly yesterday's hopes have been dashed.

I was out last night from 8pm onwards - Phoebe was bright, eating and running in her wheel when I left.

Came home at 9.30am to find her collapsed and cold on the floor of her cage. I rushed her to the practice, she started fitting on the way.

She is now being intensively nursed, and we've managed to stop the fits with some medication. She's quite heavily sedated now.

It's basically up to her now to improve and be well enough for surgery.

I'll write more later, I just wanted to post so everyone can please send her good wishes and get-well vibes.

souffle
12-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Oh Emma so sorry to hear of Phoebes sudden relapse. Everything is crossed and healing vibes are speeding her way from our house. They go down so quickly these little fragile creatures but you are doing the best you can for her. We hope she gets better :cry: :cry:

Emma
12-17-2005, 04:16 AM
We ended up having to put her to sleep.

She had breathed in bedding when she was fitting, after we stopped the fits we could get some of it out of her mouth but her breathing didn't improve enough, there was nothing more we could do so we let her go.

After she had gone a post-mortem showed that there was more bedding in her throat that we couldn't have got out, which is why we couldn't improve her enough for surgery. It also that she did indeed have an enlarged uterus.

It was all a bit quick - I wasn't expecting it.

Poor Phoebs - if I'd gone for surgery earlier she might have made it, but everyone keeps reassuring me I made what I thought was the best decision at the time. I know I did all I could to pull her through yesterday morning - she had to do the last little bit herself and she wasn't able to.

I'm going to miss her - she was an absolute little darling of a hammy. So gentle and polite, and very trusting. Bye bye Phoebs x

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/funkyvixen/Animals041.jpg

pophammy
12-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Oh Emma, I am so sorry. Pheobe was a delightful hamster and a much loved member of the forum. You tried so hard for her and she knew it. You did the right thing. My thoughts are with you. :cry: :cry: :cry: R.I.P Pheobe. :cry:

i-love-paddy
12-17-2005, 12:03 PM
This is very sad news indeed Emma. You did everything and more for Phoebe.

My thoughts are with you x

babyboos
12-18-2005, 03:02 AM
Emma you did everything for Pheobe she could not have wished for a better mummy. Rest in Peace little one.

souffle
12-18-2005, 03:54 AM
Terribly sad news Emma. RIP Little Phoebe

SnuggleHam
01-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Oh Emma *huggles* Im so sorry to hear about your ham *frown*