PDA

View Full Version : Are these any good?

Skwee
12-13-2005, 05:03 AM
I know the dried meal worms are ok but my local pet shop doesnt sell them.. he DOES sell the dried silkworms though :? i dont even know what they are :oops: are they edible?

Eeeewwww!! not for me :wink: :lol: for the hammies!!!

http://www.petfoodstore.co.uk/acatalog/ ... reats.html (http://www.petfoodstore.co.uk/acatalog/Wild_Bird_Treats.html)

if you scroll down on the link you can see what i mean...

hammydude
12-13-2005, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't give them(silkworms) to my hams. If you are looking to give them a high protien treat, try crickets.(live or dead) My Sirian ham, Biscuits, loves when I catch a live cricket and give it to him. He will chase it for a while then when he finally catches it,.... gulp, all gone! I've only given him three crickets since I've had him though, but he still enjoys them.

Minicooper
08-04-2006, 04:29 AM
I just stick to dried food and fresh vegetables and fruit

rhona
08-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Fudge gets:
dry food - everday
curly kale - couple times a week
EMP - probably twice a week
babyfood - once a week (I always get lactose free and organic)
soya milk or lactol - once or twice a week (less if I make up the EMP with soya milk or lactol)

I must add that Fudge is a fussy old man so I HAVE to suppliment his diet or he wont eat :roll:

Minicooper
08-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Hammis isn't that fussy, but one one I changed the dried fruit to a different brand and she wouldn't eat it so I changed it back again and she was eating it again!

Dried Food: Every day
Fruit and vegetables: once or twice a week. Depends on type
Treats: Once in a while

racinghamster
08-04-2006, 07:44 AM
Do you have a Poundstretcher shop near you Skwee? They are selling tubs of dead mealworms for £4.00 where they sell the wild bird foods! I'm getting a tub on Monday. You can also get them on eBay. Just type 'mealworms' into the search box on eBay and they will come up. Good luck! :)

Minicooper
08-04-2006, 07:45 AM
I don't feed my Hammis, either dead or living things, I don't know why but I just don't. Probably because my pet shop doesn't sell it.

souffle
08-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Hammis may well enjoy a little bit of chicken or meat of some type. It is important to feed mums and mums to be extra protein and also young hamsters. A good source is some sort of animal or if you prefer a vegetarian option use tofu. In the wind hamsters would eat any small insects such as crickets they could catch.

Minicooper
08-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Hammis is never going to be a mum :shock: Is any meat OK?

rhona
08-04-2006, 09:14 AM
I only tend to feed proper meats and fish and avoid processed meats such as cold lunch meats

Minicooper
08-04-2006, 09:16 AM
I don't think I would feed her alive things because I don't think she would catch it!

rhona
08-04-2006, 09:18 AM
she probably would actually.... I never thought Fudge would until I saw him catch, decapitate, and munch on a fly!

Minicooper
08-04-2006, 09:22 AM
I would but there aren't any pet shops which sell these things in my area, as well my pet shop only sells Syrian hamsters.

pophammy
08-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Just give her a little piece of chicken from your dinner sometimes, she'll love it!

rhona
08-04-2006, 09:30 AM
a little bit of chicken goes down just as well

Minicooper
08-04-2006, 09:35 AM
ok I will try it. Is there anything else she can eat as a treat? I have heard of chocolate drops???????

pophammy
08-04-2006, 09:43 AM
We do not think chocolate drops are good as if the hamster put them in their pouches they could melt. It is possible to give them the occasional one but only the type specially made for hamsters. Also chocolate drops really contain too much sugar for a hamster and so yogurt drops are better.

Minicooper
08-04-2006, 09:46 AM
I have never heard of yogurt drops before. As I said my local pet shop doesn't seem to sell much.

babyboos
08-04-2006, 05:40 PM
you can also give your hamster a half teaspoon of plain bio yogurt for a treat, or a raspberry dipped in yogurt in a clean jam jar lid... yummy :P

hammiesarelovex3
08-05-2006, 01:23 PM
eeew catching crickets for the hammie to eat? poor cricket... :oops: :cry:

I just stick to dried food and fresh vegetables and fruit me too LOL plain and simple!!

1/4 hartz hamster and gerbil food and 3/4 hazel hamster food: every day (I am we4aning him off the hartz stuff to hazel hamster, it's much better for him)

fruits: 3 times a week

veggies: everyday

pasta bits, 3-4 small sunflower seeds: everyday

bread, wet pasta: whenever I have it, or feel like giving it to him....

I wouldn't get those worms for the hammie! EW!!

Minicooper
08-06-2006, 03:59 AM
I heard if you give a hamster, too much of a good thing e.g. fruit and vegetables they can get bad dioreahar. Sorry about my spelling

souffle
08-06-2006, 06:32 AM
Yes they can get diarrhoea with too much fresh stuff. Be sure to give only a tiny piece maybe 4 times a week. We try and make sure they eat it all and remove any excess. If they store fresh food it can go mouldy and bad and attract flies.

( A handy tip is to get the Google bar with the spell check on it if you want to check your spellings anyone - it has been a godsend for me as I am rubbish at spelling :lol: )

hammiesarelovex3
08-06-2006, 09:13 AM
I give fruit 3x a week, but what about veggies?

Minicooper
08-06-2006, 09:27 AM
i give veg whenever i can like I have just given hammis a bit of cauliflower,carrot and cabbage.

souffle
08-06-2006, 11:57 AM
We mix them...either a fruit or veg but not every day and only one at a time ourselves. Whatever we have in stock is good and they have tried most types of fruit and veg excepting citrus fruits and rhubarb which are not good for them. There is a list of suitable items in the articles section :lol:

Minicooper
08-16-2006, 09:00 AM
I have just bought hammis some Milk and honey drops from my local pet shop, they say they are good for hamsters but what do you think? :?: :?:

Minicooper
08-16-2006, 09:00 AM
btw she seems to like them

pophammy
08-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Are they vitacraft ones? Our hammies love them! If you give them one they will always start eating it immediately rather than pouch it! You can also get strawberry drops of the same make which always go down well! :lol:

Minicooper
08-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Yes they are Vitakraft Milk and honey drops and I just looked they are meant for Hammies.

Hammis puts one in her pouch and saves it for later!!!! :lol:

souffle
08-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Yes our hammies love them but remember one a day is enough. :lol:

Minicooper
08-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Yes I only give her one a day as it says on the pack (one a day)