PDA

View Full Version : Sleep tight Jasper 27/04/16-09/06/18

chesca_27
08-03-2018, 04:07 PM
I just want to inform you all Jasper passed away on Saturday June 9th. I went to my Dad's house that weekend and left him with my Mum. She put some fresh food out for him on Saturday night and he never came out to eat it. I found him curled up in his nest on the Sunday. It seems he passed peacefully in his sleep at just over 2 years old. He didn't really age until the week before he passed where he looked a bit thin, but I put that down to old age.

I've sort of made peace with his passing now so I don't really want to write a memorial about how much he means to me and how much I love him because I think that was already known. I don't want this to be a sad thread.

Since it has been a couple of months, I think I am ready for another hamster and I plan to adopt one from the P@H adoption centre when I return from holiday in a few weeks. I realise this seems a bit insensitive in his memorial post but now I've fully mourned, I am quite excited for another hamster and I miss having one. I plan on adopting another dwarf hamster, probably a Russian unless they magically have a Chinese to adopt. I'm currently going through the process of cleaning the toys I can reuse and binning the ones I can't. I need to disinfect the cage and buy a new wheel, bottle and some essential toys but other than that I think I have everything already.

All the dogs are doing well as is Pemba (guinea pig), but Oreo (guinea pig) has unfortunately been ill on and off since May. At the moment he has conjunctivitis but it has cleared up significantly since last week when we collected him from the pet sitter (where it seems he became ill). Hopefully after this, he will be completely better and can gain some weight (he is extremely underweight from all the times he has been ill). I know it seems weird including all these updates but I don't really want to use Jasper's thread or start a new one. Anyway that's the key things since I've last posted. I realise it's been a long time since I've been active on here but I'm just so busy.

Fluffagrams
08-03-2018, 04:28 PM
I’m sorry to hear about Jasper and that Oreo has not been well. I hope that Oreo recovers soon.

I don’t think it’s disrespectful to talk of getting another hamster if the time is right... I think Jasper would have wanted another hamster to live the happy life like you gave him.

Sleep well Jasper.

chesca_27
08-03-2018, 04:59 PM
Thank you Fluffagrams :)

dreamtree1234
08-03-2018, 06:30 PM
I'm so sorry that Jasper passed to the bridge; he was a wonderful ham, and I'm sure he will be happily looking down from the Bridge when you bring home your next ham since he would want you to be happy and have another ham to love and cherish in your life. It will be a wonderful way to honor him by blessing a ham with an amazing life filled with so much love and care that you give. I will look forward to meeting him/her.

May grand adventures be your, dear Jasper. You will be missed.

I'm also sorry that Oreo hasn't been well; I will continue to wish him a speedy and complete recovery. Bless him. I'm so pleased to hear that Pemba and your dogs are all doing well though.

cypher
08-04-2018, 12:30 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Jasper, he was such a lovely little ham & I'm sure you must miss him very much.
Sorry to hear that Oreo isn't well too, wishing him well.

You know in your heart when the time is right for another ham, there's no right time or wrong time & I'm sure Jasper would be very happy to see another ham finding a good home with you.

Coco61
08-04-2018, 05:10 AM
Chesca I am so very sorry at the news about Jasper's passing. He was a very special boy and had a loving home with you. As one of the very few hamsters that I had the privilege of meeting with you at the Bracknell show, I too mourn his going.
If the time time feels right for another furry friend, then it is not insensitive to say so. We have all travelled that path as well. My current boy is Maestro and he came from Tuftyfluffs too. I might well take him to Breacknell this year.
Glad Pemba is doing well but sorry to hear about Oreo. Hope he gets better soon.
Trust all is going well with your studies even if it is a lot of hard work!

Sasha04
08-04-2018, 08:11 AM
I’m so sorry to hear about your beloved Jasper passing over the bridge. He seemed to be such a precious boy. Giant hugs to you and little kisses from Libby.
I’m so sorry Oreo is ill. Hope he’ll make a speedy recovery.
Run free at the bridge, Jasper.

chesca_27
08-04-2018, 10:12 AM
Thank you all so much! Genuinely, I really do appreciate the messages :).
Congrats on Maestro Coco61 :).

Oreo is doing better today, it seems he's gaining weight, which is good. I found he's very fond of fruit baby food with some nuggets or oats so he had some last night. His eyes doesn't look too crusty today and the fur around it is starting to regrow (he lost all the fur around both his eyes from the extra fluid in his eyes if that makes sense).

I'm currently looking into where to get my next hamster. I do want to save one from whatever situation this time around so I'm looking through ads, RSPCA website and the P@H adoption centre. I did find a pair of female Chinese hamsters, but they are very far away and I only want one, but I'm considering it. All the RSPCA hamsters are a fair distance away from me and listed as 1 year +. I know it seems a bit silly but I do want a younger hamster just because I don't think I can go through the passing after only a year or so. I am mainly looking on the P@H adoption website just because it is more convenient and I have found a couple of hamsters that seem sweet. I would love another breeder hamster but I don't really want to wait and TuftyFluff has stopped breeding dwarf hamsters although the baby Syrians are tempting. Has anyone got any advert websites that might have hamsters suggestions? That was a mouthful lol. Anyway than you all again.

dreamtree1234
08-04-2018, 10:26 AM
I'm glad that Oreo is doing better today, gaining weight, and regrowing his fur. It is always so wonderful when you can see all of your loving care making him well again so you won't have to worry as much. I hope that he continues to improve and is with you and Pemba for a long time still.

I'm sorry that you are having a hard time finding a younger, rescue ham that is close enough to you. I totally understand wanting to save a life and not wanting to have to go through another heartbreaking loss of a beloved pet so soon after losing one so dear to your heart. I hope that your luck changes, and you are able to find another wonderful heart-ham very, very soon. Fingers crossed.

chesca_27
08-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Thank you dreamtree :).

flowerfairy
08-04-2018, 10:50 AM
Rest in peace Jasper. I recently lost my golden angel, Arun. He was also over 2 and died peacefully in his nest. I am on a breeders waiting list for a long haired golden syrian but until then I have 2 robos and a dwarf hybrid to keep me busy.

Good to see you back on here.

chesca_27
08-04-2018, 03:42 PM
Thank you :). Sorry to hear about Arun, flowerfairy.

Swirls
08-05-2018, 07:58 PM
I'm glad Oreo is doing better!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I recently had a hamster pass away about a month ago. Jasper loved you, and I'm sure Jasper misses you. I hope you're doing well even after the passing of your beloved friend.

Thin Lizzy
08-05-2018, 08:04 PM
So very sorry for your loss Chesca. Jasper was much loved and will be forever remembered and mised.

chesca_27
08-08-2018, 04:13 PM
Thank you both

Pebbles82
08-08-2018, 04:52 PM
I am so sorry for your loss of Jasper but glad he passed peacefully and you are ready to have another hamster in your life. I'm sure the right hamster will find you xxx

SKB_Hamsters
08-11-2018, 09:09 AM
I am so sorry chesca to hear about Jasper crossing the rainbow bridge. Jasper was thoroughly spoilt and loved by you and was very fortunate to have you as his wonderful owner.

Play well at the bridge Jasper.

I don't think it is insensitive to think about getting a new hamster - everyone different and I too find having a new hamster and only you will know when it the right time to welcome home a new hammy. Which ever hamster steals your heart will be extremely fortunate to have you as their amazing owner.

souffle
08-16-2018, 07:22 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. He was a great age and much loved.
Run free at the bridge Jasper x

Drago
08-16-2018, 09:40 AM
I am utterly heartbroken to hear this Chesca :( I had not seen this thread. I’m so sorry for your loss, may little Jasper play well at the bridge. He touched all of our hearts here at HC. Sending lots of love your way xx

chesca_27
08-19-2018, 03:49 AM
Thank you all very much. It means so much to me that you all took the time to reply to this thread :).

I am hoping to get a new hamster within the next few days. My plan is to drive around all the local Pets At Home adoption centres with my dad until I find the one. I don't feel like waiting for a breeder this time around and I think most rescues (e.g. RSPCA) have very few hamsters or are quite far away. At least this way there is more choice and I can help a hamster have a better life (I think most hamsters in rescues or from good breeders end up going to good homes but I could be wrong).

I have set up my Savic Plaza Knockdown but I'm wondering if a hamster might be more comfortable settling into the Ikea Billy and then being upgraded?

I've ordered another Trixie wheel (I binned both of Jasper's old wheels - Comfort Wheel and Trixie) but at some point I do want to get the Silent Runner, maybe after my birthday when I have more savings. I do want to get a couple more toys since I ended up binning quite a lot (all my cardboard toys and some of my wooden toys and anything that had wee stains or was in Jasper's cage when he died. The decorator also put shampoo and conditioner sideways in one of the toy boxes so quite a few got ruined there as well). I spent ages last week building a large Puzzle Playground as a kingdom. I forgot how fiddly they are! I put lots of exits in though and I never put base panels in so I can lift it up/hamster can tunnel/won't get ruined by a hoard/toilet. I got lucky and managed to find a set with about 40 pieces for £6 at some random pet shop.

I think my next update will hopefully be when I have a new furry friend ;).

Rads
08-19-2018, 07:58 AM
Chesca,
So sorry to her about Jasper, it is good to know he passed peacefully sleeping in his nest and not ill or in pain.

He will be sorely missed, the rainbow bridge will be very noisy with Jasper, Pip, Forrest and now Master Harvey there too.

If it helps but we are a distance away from you but our P@H always has quite a few hammies for adoption here in Peterborough.

pinkneon
08-19-2018, 09:37 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Jasper, Chesca. I hope Oreo recovers soon :)

BorisPasha
08-20-2018, 01:56 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about LJ Chesca he was always so cute. He had a lovely long and happy life with you.

Have fun at the bridge LJ x

dreamtree1234
08-20-2018, 07:41 AM
Good luck with getting your little one soon, Chesca. It is wonderful that your dad is taking you around to check all of the stores; that is very sweet and special. Have fun; I look forward to meeting him/her whenever you get the cutie pie and he/she settles in. :)

Thin Lizzy
08-20-2018, 07:32 PM
Looking forward to meeting your new hammy. Good of your dad to offer to take you round the stores.