PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good wheel design?

cookietiger
03-15-2018, 02:45 PM
So for my A level product design coursework i'm making a hamster cage.

I was wondering if this is an okay wheel design? The image linked is a full sized model. It's diameter is 18cm and the real thing would have a depth of 8cm. The plan is to cut layers of thin wood and then glue them together using pet safe glue of course and sand it down smooth. I created these ridges to help with grip and stuff but I feel like they might be too big?

Since I haven't mentioned it before I have also linked an image of the cage design itself.

cypher
03-15-2018, 10:22 PM
The wheel looks nice but I think maybe the ridges are too big.

Pebbles82
03-16-2018, 03:48 AM
Could you make the wheel without the ridges? It's much better for their feet if it's a smooth running track - you can even stick cork to the running track to make it even better for their feet, and waterproof the wood and cork by painting it with plastikote water based enamel paint which is pet safe.

And what an amazing project for your 'A' level! Cage looks great. How deep is it?

souffle
03-16-2018, 04:22 AM
I agree the ridges look too tall. It would make the hammy walk in an unnatural gait having those. I'd suggest making it smooth with a decent walkable surface like wood or cork. Larger Syrians need a larger depth of track so it may be better to increase that to 10cm at least. Sounds like a fun project :)

cookietiger
03-16-2018, 09:05 AM
Ok thanks. I will redesign the wheel to be smooth which will also make it easier to sand down to be smooth, helping with safety.

The cage dimensions are going to be 36x39x90cm (height, width, length). It is a bit of a weird set of dimensions from looking at existing cages but that's because i'm working with the existing space I have available for a hamster cage in my house.

I am going to buy some plastikote and order some ponal glue as I heard that it is some hammy safe wood glue.